Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:45 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,225 times

Advertisements

This question would best be directed to the Town of Cary Inspections and Permits Department. You can call them at 919-469-4043.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 02:14 PM

379 posts, read 959,043 times
WOW...you even need a permit to install a ceiling fan!!!

Old 05-13-2011, 02:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
If it's electrical and you're putting it in NEW (not replacing one) then you need a permit.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:26 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
The link to their FAQ is below

FAQ

"WHEN IS A PERMIT REQUIRED? When is it necessary to obtain a building permit? Well, the answer is ALMOST ALWAYS! A permit is required anytime work is done on a building or structure, or the systems serving the structure (including plumbing, mechanical and electrical wiring) with a few exceptions, .

Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 PM

240 posts, read 1,179,610 times
Default When is a permit required for work at your home?

Yep. You must have one because you are making changes beyond a finished wall. (past the toilet flange, past the drywall for a shower valve change out, etc.) You need one to change a water heater, change a furnace or air conditioner, or run a single electrical circuit.

And, you should get one. Your Licensed General Contractor should know this and have told you this. He cannot perform this project without a permit unless he wishes to risk being cited by the NC Board of Licensed General Contractors.

And, if you or your heirs ever want to sell the property, we're finding that mortgage companies are deeply researching remodels and improvements to verify that only permitted work was performed and inspected. Going back to get permits for work completed without a permit can be very expensive. Recently an inspector required us to open the walls for an unpermitted project done by others over ten years ago in enough places for inspection that we gutted all the drywall and re-installed it.

My advice: Always hire a licensed, experienced, highly recommended, insured service provider. Insist on permits for all work and arrange to be present during the inspection to hear what a municipal inspector has to say about the quality of the work.

Yes, it adds a small cost. Yes, it adds time to the project. Yes, it can be inconvenient. But, it is all worth it to ensure that all was performed professionally to meet the current Building Code and that there will be no future problems at re-sale that questions any repairs or remodeling.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 PM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post
Yep. You must have one because you are making changes beyond a finished wall. (past the toilet flange, past the drywall for a shower valve change out, etc.) You need one to change a water heater, change a furnace or air conditioner, or run a single electrical circuit.

And, you should get one. Your Licensed General Contractor should know this and have told you this. He cannot perform this project without a permit unless he wishes to risk being cited by the NC Board of Licensed General Contractors.

And, if you or your heirs ever want to sell the property, we're finding that mortgage companies are deeply researching remodels and improvements to verify that only permitted work was performed and inspected. Going back to get permits for work completed without a permit can be very expensive. Recently an inspector required us to open the walls for an unpermitted project done by others over ten years ago in enough places for inspection that we gutted all the drywall and re-installed it.

My advice: Always hire a licensed, experienced, highly recommended, insured service provider. Insist on permits for all work and arrange to be present during the inspection to hear what a municipal inspector has to say about the quality of the work.

Yes, it adds a small cost. Yes, it adds time to the project. Yes, it can be inconvenient. But, it is all worth it to ensure that all was performed professionally to meet the current Building Code and that there will be no future problems at re-sale that questions any repairs or remodeling.
Good post. I definitely know the problems not getting a permit can cause. Yes, we do need a permit for our bathroom remodel. The inspector was at our house yesterday. Now I'm wondering why the GC didn't tell us upfront. I'm wondering what his motive was - was it the fees (I'm assuming whatever fee(s) are involved will be passed on to us anyway so I don't understand why $ would be a factor) or did he just not want to be bothered with the hassle (although it's really not that much of a hassle). In any event, as anyone familiar with my posts knows, I just got through a nightmarish process regarding permits and COs on my house sale in NY and I don't intend for that to ever happen again!!! We're interested in doing other work on our house here in NC but now I'm thinking twice about using the same contractor...

Old 05-19-2011, 04:41 AM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
Is this just a Cary thing, or are all towns permit requirements the same?

I mean really, if you need a permit and inspection to add a minor electrical circuit or change a shower valve what is the reason for having licensed electricians and plumbers. Next thing you know you will need a permit to screw in a light bulb.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post
You need one to change a water heater...
Cary actually explicitly says that you don't need one for changing out a water heater in a SFH or duplex as long as it's in the same location and uses the same fuel source.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:03 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Raleigh permit requirements appear to be blessedly simple:
WakeGOV.com - Development Guides

Here is more detail about permits, but I don't see anything about ceiling fans: http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/permits/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
Is this just a Cary thing, or are all towns permit requirements the same?

I mean really, if you need a permit and inspection to add a minor electrical circuit or change a shower valve what is the reason for having licensed electricians and plumbers. Next thing you know you will need a permit to screw in a light bulb.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 05-20-2011 at 08:13 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 10:02 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
Next thing you know you will need a permit to screw in a light bulb.
You have heard heard the old story about how many people like me it takes to change a lightbulb?

The answer is four (one to call the electrician, one to mix drinks (V&T), and two to lament how much better the old bulb was than the new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary