Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:17 PM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,412,734 times

Advertisements

Okay, part of me can't even believe I'm posting this, due to the permit/CO saga that finally ended on my house sale in NY! But anyway, we're doing a second floor hallway bathroom remodel. It's being done by a licensed general contractor. The bathroom will be completely gutted and done over with new fixtures, tiles, paint, etc. We're not moving anthing though - the shower, sink, and toilet will be put back where they were (I mean a new shower, sink, and toilet of course!). Is a permit required for this type of work? I can understand a permit being required if pipes and fixtures are being moved from one location to another or if an entire new bathroom is being added to a house but I didn't think one would be necessary in my scenario of just remodeling and not moving anything around. I'd appreciate any advice. I live in Cary. I don't plan on selling anytime soon but I just don't want anything to come back and bite me when that time does come. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
My understanding is that if you are replacing what's already there with new stuff, then no. If you are adding new plumbing or electricals that weren't thee to begin with, then yes. The town of Cary has good permit info on their website and they're great explaining on the phone too if you have any more questions

Old 05-13-2011, 07:19 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
you just went through a saga regarding construction & permits & don't want to repeat it ever.
you're using a licensed GC anyway.
the permit(s) won't cost you in excess of $200 anyway.

It doesn't matter if it's required - you've already answered the question, right?

However, I do believe for as little as replacing those fixtures, toilet, and shower pan the GC has to technically get a permit. Of course, it's his everyday business and he should know if you are required to get them.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Permits PROTECT you and give you the expertise of town insepctors who can verify that your contractor is doing a good job according to code. Why cheap out on that?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:27 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Permits PROTECT you and give you the expertise of town insepctors who can verify that your contractor is doing a good job according to code. Why cheap out on that?
That's the theory at least.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:45 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
GPC - I find the process down here a little different than NY - whereas people up in NY don't ever want the building dept in their home for fear of things like what you and I went thru, down here people see the building dept as being there for your protection. This is especially true for people like you and me know don't have a history with GCs here and you're kinda flying blind.

We had our 3rd floor finished and we needed a permit for it regardless because we were running new electric, creating living space, etc. Generally it was a much easier process than NY. The permit was about $100 and it was ready in days. No architect plans required. GC did not require final payment till CO was issued. The only issue that came up (and our GC warned us about this ahead of time) was that current code requires a hard wired smoke detector in each BR. We didn't have that, so he told us to put up battery operated one in each room and it would suffice. Sure enough the beuilding inspector did check that and we were fine. But they weren't like up north where they are looking at your deck, etc.

Now we are moving on to having our screened porch window-ed, to cope with the pollen problem, and I'm not getting permits for that. We had a great experience with our GC on the attic, so I know I can trust him, and we aren't running any electric out there, etc, as it already exists.

Good luck with your project!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,137 times
I wouldn't bother with permits unless you're adding living space, adding functionality (ie turning 1/2 bath to full bath), or don't trust the person doing the work.

They WILL use the information on permits to raise your property taxes. New bath = higher home value = more taxes. F THAT.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
GPC - I find the process down here a little different than NY - whereas people up in NY don't ever want the building dept in their home for fear of things like what you and I went thru, down here people see the building dept as being there for your protection. This is especially true for people like you and me know don't have a history with GCs here and you're kinda flying blind.

We had our 3rd floor finished and we needed a permit for it regardless because we were running new electric, creating living space, etc. Generally it was a much easier process than NY. The permit was about $100 and it was ready in days. No architect plans required. GC did not require final payment till CO was issued. The only issue that came up (and our GC warned us about this ahead of time) was that current code requires a hard wired smoke detector in each BR. We didn't have that, so he told us to put up battery operated one in each room and it would suffice. Sure enough the beuilding inspector did check that and we were fine. But they weren't like up north where they are looking at your deck, etc.

Now we are moving on to having our screened porch window-ed, to cope with the pollen problem, and I'm not getting permits for that. We had a great experience with our GC on the attic, so I know I can trust him, and we aren't running any electric out there, etc, as it already exists.

Good luck with your project!
For the screen porch window-ed project, if you elected to get a permit it may turn out to be a much larger job than anticipated. The inspector may want a perimeter footing/foundation around the structure underneath where the windows are going to support the weight of the windows. [The glass being much heavier than the screen.]

Old 05-13-2011, 08:52 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Op, here the link explaining what you do and don't need a permit for: FAQ

Old 05-13-2011, 09:42 AM

5,883 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Sometimes, an inspection may help catch something, but it is mostly a revenue source for the Town of Cary. I had a discussion with them a few years back asking the specifics about when a permit was needed. They said almost always, unless it is a repair, such as replacing a light switch. The cost of a permit can cost more that the project, such as replacing a light fixture with a ceiling fan.

Anyone remember the "drive by" inspections they did back in the '80s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary