U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:25 PM

233 posts, read 239,044 times

Advertisements

The municipality recently installed one of those electronic or wireless water meters in place of the standard one I had that they had to manually read. Now my water bill is 50% higher than it was. Have any of you had the same thing happen? Do I have any recourse on this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 04:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 24,845,674 times
Ask for an audit. The usage calculation on the old to new meter conversion period could have been botched.

We had that in Raleigh a few years ago.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:33 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,326,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
The municipality recently installed one of those electronic or wireless water meters in place of the standard one I had that they had to manually read. Now my water bill is 50% higher than it was. Have any of you had the same thing happen? Do I have any recourse on this?
Well - worst case- you were stealing water for all the years prior, and you got away with it.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:01 PM

4,153 posts, read 4,770,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
Look at the display on the actual water meter and compare that to what was on your bill. See if the usage matches your typical usage (for the same month last year). The wireless module is only reporting what the meter is telling it, so there is probably nothing wrong with that part.

By the way, are you in Cary? They are now rolling out the Sensus system.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:34 AM

56 posts, read 182,686 times
make sure they installed it correctly....ie do you have a water main leak on your side of the meter?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,094 posts, read 60,114,328 times
This is very common with a new meter installation electronic or not. As they age water meters let water pass by without registering all of it, especially when a small flow is used. A new meter is going to measure every drop. i would still check the reading on your meter, and make sure it's higher than the current reading on the bill. Also, with all faucets off, look at the sweep hand or little triangular dial (depending on make) and see if it's moving. If so you have a leak.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:18 AM

4,153 posts, read 4,770,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitrdu View Post
make sure they installed it correctly....ie do you have a water main leak on your side of the meter?
The new meter should be able to detect a leak. They look at the hourly consumption data. For a residence, there should be at least one hour in a 24 hour period with no usage. If not, you probably have a leak.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,078 times
Turn off all water in your house and verify the red dial on the meter is not moving.
If it is moving, turn off the shutoff valve located inside your house (front closet usually).
If it stops moving you have a leak somewhere in the house. Leaking toilets are usually the biggest problem, so put a few drops of food coloring in each tank and don't flush the toilet overnight. If there is dye in the bowl in the morning, your toilet is leaking.
If it doesn't stop, you have a leak in between the house and the shutoff valve.
Now for the final test. Turn off all water using devices inside the house. Write down the number showing on your water meter. Fill a one gallon bucket and check the meter. It should be 1 gallon more than the starting number. Repeat a few times. If your meter is a fancy new one being installed by the city, it will be off by a factor of 10 showing 10 gallons for every one used. Call the town of Cary and start yelling! :'0 Good Luck!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:48 PM

419 posts, read 1,205,215 times
Here in fuquay, I had an unusually low bill the last month with the old meter; an unusually high bill the first month with the new wireless one and a normal bill the following month. Am hoping (and expecting) the normal bills continue. And I did take into account the unusual billing cycle length - our daily usage appeared very low one month and VERY high the next, then leveled back to normal.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:22 PM

342 posts, read 691,174 times
We moved in late May, so have had a few bills to date. We are on Franklin county water. Just my wife and I. We have irrigation, but I dont really use it. In speaking with our neighbor recently, we found their water bill to be just about half of ours. We are very conscious of water use. Unless our neighbors do not take showers or wash clothes, I think something is really wrong with our meter.

I feel we need to go through a verification as outlined above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary