Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:02 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times

Advertisements

I don't ever remember bringing home homework my entire high school "career" until I hit Physics in my senior year . . . . and I ended up in the top 10% of my graduating class.

My 5 year old son in kindergarten brings home homework 2 or 3 times a week.

The bar is definitely higher nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
MacArthur Park is Davis Drive.

I'd call some of the homes over that way "moderate."
Great point. Park Village also goes to Davis Drive (since it's right next door). There are many homes in that neighborhood which would be labeled as starter homes.

A quick search on a local real estate website pulled up 47 homes aligned to Davis drive elementary and in the town of cary with prices ranging from $187K to $428K. That is certainly well below median price for Cary.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I don't ever remember bringing home homework my entire high school "career" until I hit Physics in my senior year . . . . and I ended up in the top 10% of my graduating class.

I was having this same discussion with my boss who is about 20 years my senior. He said they never had homework in high school and if they did give you extra problems to work on it was optional and never graded. It was the strangest thing I ever heard. homework counted at leas 25% of our grade and was a great tool for reinforcing most concepts (especially math/sciences).

Perhaps now with the internet, the thinking is that everyone can look the answers up, so we might as well give them assignments.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:29 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post

But, are kids any smarter? I mean, truly smarter? Are they learning more?

Is this learning at school, or at home?

I'm not wholly convinced that more homework equals more educated kids.

I'm pretty sure it does equal more kids who don't go outside to play nearly enough, though.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Great point. Park Village also goes to Davis Drive (since it's right next door). There are many homes in that neighborhood which would be labeled as starter homes.

A quick search on a local real estate website pulled up 47 homes aligned to Davis drive elementary and in the town of cary with prices ranging from $187K to $428K. That is certainly well below median price for Cary.
Yes. Quite true. There are a wide variety of homes in the Davis Drive district, and I think many, if not all, are zoned GH for their high school.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I was having this same discussion with my boss who is about 20 years my senior. He said they never had homework in high school and if they did give you extra problems to work on it was optional and never graded. It was the strangest thing I ever heard. homework counted at leas 25% of our grade and was a great tool for reinforcing most concepts (especially math/sciences).

Perhaps now with the internet, the thinking is that everyone can look the answers up, so we might as well give them assignments.

I had homework in high school. I'm pretty sure my kids have just as much homework in elementary and middle as I had in high school, though. My eldest had a TON of homework in high school. It was bizarre. I don't think I had that much in college.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
When did childrearing become a competition?
When you go to graduation and every kid there is wearing an honor sash, you have to start wondering if they're really all that brilliant, or did we just norm things right up to "honor" status?
Seems like less of a competition, and like everyone is getting a "participant" ribbon.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I think the focus on scores and achievement has gotten way out of hand. When did childrearing become a competition?

People go on and on about how other countries are producing smarter kids. You know how they do that? By instilling in them the drive to succeed and make their families proud.

It's not by teaching them more or less math, or more or less reading. (Though I would argue that we don't teach nearly enough science and social studies here).

I have seen kids that were friends with my eldest child who were in high school (he went to Green Hope, btw) with 5.0 GPAs (why did we have to move beyond 4.0 in high school?) and they were all spending their 4 years there stressed out about grades, colleges, doing better than one another. It was kinda sad.

When you go to graduation and every kid there is wearing an honor sash, you have to start wondering if they're really all that brilliant, or did we just norm things right up to "honor" status?

I went to a magnet high school. At my graduation, we probably had about 10% of the students wearing an honor sash (if that). Might've been about 5%. No joke. Seemed reasonable to me.

Not everyone can be a superstar. Doesn't mean that the people without the sashes didn't have excellent GPAs, mind you. Back then, you could get into a great college with a 3.5, though.

Weird times.
Grade inflation - the great scam of the 2000s. Helps justify universities as a growth industry. You have to have at least a 4.0 on a 4.0 scale (the fact that it is possible to get higher is a travesty). Then once you are in university, we will further inflate grades so that mom and dad keep the checks coming. I am so tired of hearing the scholar athlete of the month radio PSAs on the local sports radio stations. XXX or YYY are a 3 varsity sport star with a 4.8 GPA on a 4.0 scale....

I remember when a perfect score on the SAT meant that you had to get every question right. [There was a guy in my high school whose 2 older brothers had gotten 1600s, well by the end of his junior year he had taken the test a few times and the best score he had gotten ona single test was a 1560 - which was 2 missed questions. Finally he took the test in the fall of his senior year and scored a 1600, not that it made much of a difference (other than family bragging rights) as he was still getting a full ride to Stanford]

Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Well, my first thought is that there is NOTHING in the Davis Drive district that could be "affordable" on a moderate income except for the tiny handful of nodes of kids who are bused in. I looked for a friend who wanted a rental under $1400 and we have never been able to find one unless they live far away in the "bused" zones..
This is all incredibly subjective. We just paid slightly more for a house here in the DDE zone than we paid for our first house on Long Island 14 years ago. Our incomes were definitely what you'd call modest for that area. However, we are not "keep up with the Joneses" type people and we had a large down payment because of it and no car payments. So to say that people can't buy into DDE because the areas it serves are "so affluent" doesn't make sense, and doesn't match what I see in my neighborhood. It is dependent on many things - how much other debt you carry, how much you can/want to save towards a down payment, etc etc.

Park Village strikes me as a very nice area that's about as affordable as you can get around here and those kids to to DDE. So do the kids who live in Cornerstone Apartments. I just did a quick search and found a 3BR at Cornerstone for $1360/month.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Seems like less of a competition, and like everyone is getting a "participant" ribbon.

Agreed. And that's right up there with team sports where nobody wins.

Odd. Kids need to learn about winning AND about losing. That's the way of the world, yanno?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary