Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:46 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
But, are kids any smarter? I mean, truly smarter? Are they learning more?

Is this learning at school, or at home?

I'm not wholly convinced that more homework equals more educated kids.

I'm pretty sure it does equal more kids who don't go outside to play nearly enough, though.
Exactly, I don't think they are any smarter. It's the system reacting to the propaganda out there that the US school systems are falling behind other nations and have been for years.

So a particular country has 15 million people who are very good at engineering - does that country (or the world) have a need for 15 million engineers. Will they get to practice their craft? Did they skip out on learning soft skills like how to interact with other people in order to become skilled at engineering? In this country, the people who succeed are the ones with leadership skills, who can relate well to people and have enough common sense (or technical sense) to make good decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 08:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Grade inflation - the great scam of the 2000s. Helps justify universities as a growth industry. You have to have at least a 4.0 on a 4.0 scale (the fact that it is possible to get higher is a travesty). Then once you are in university, we will further inflate grades so that mom and dad keep the checks coming. I am so tired of hearing the scholar athlete of the month radio PSAs on the local sports radio stations. XXX or YYY are a 3 varsity sport star with a 4.8 GPA on a 4.0 scale....

I remember when a perfect score on the SAT meant that you had to get every question right. [There was a guy in my high school whose 2 older brothers had gotten 1600s, well by the end of his junior year he had taken the test a few times and the best score he had gotten ona single test was a 1560 - which was 2 missed questions. Finally he took the test in the fall of his senior year and scored a 1600, not that it made much of a difference (other than family bragging rights) as he was still getting a full ride to Stanford]

That's crazy. You know what's sick? Some kids don't do well in college, and manipulating the system to get everyone to go has devalued a college degree for us all.

When did taking up a good vocation like plumbing, for example, become a sign that your kid was an underachiever?

I've got a Master's degree, but I'm an egghead.

I'd be totally lost as a plumber. I admire their work.

And, it can be a quite lucrative career.

Our society is ODD.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Exactly, I don't think they are any smarter. It's the system reacting to the propaganda out there that the US school systems are falling behind other nations and have been for years.

So a particular country has 15 million people who are very good at engineering - does that country (or the world) have a need for 15 million engineers. Will they get to practice their craft? Did they skip out on learning soft skills like how to interact with other people in order to become skilled at engineering? In this country, the people who succeed are the ones with leadership skills, who can relate well to people and have enough common sense (or technical sense) to make good decisions.

Agreed.

My observation, having dealt with a country that has 15 million engineers, is that many of those engineers aren't too good at creative thinking. They're also not so keen in the social skills department.

It takes all kinds to make a society. When did engineering become the brass ring? Geez.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Quote:
Great point. Park Village also goes to Davis Drive (since it's right next door). There are many homes in that neighborhood which would be labeled as starter homes.

A quick search on a local real estate website pulled up 47 homes aligned to Davis drive elementary and in the town of cary with prices ranging from $187K to $428K. That is certainly well below median price for Cary.
Actually, median home price for Cary is just above $200k. A family with low income but high ambitions looking for a RENTAL will not find anything under ~1200/mo. The family I referred to has three children, a military and law enforcement veteran husband with 2 jobs, and they cannot find a home in the Davis Drive district. Keep in mind that home purchasing has become very difficult in recent months/years due to the real estate crash, most especially on lower income folks who can't afford to save a good sized down payment or closing costs.

The lowest priced home I could find (this includes condos) in the Davis Drive area that was NOT in Raleigh (aka bused in) was $186k and change townhome in Upchurch Farms. That's just slightly below the median home price--and there were maybe 2-3 homes in all of Davis Elementary district under that median--and certainly NONE that were far below.

Plus, once you factor in taxes, insurance, and HOA fees, you're looking at ~1500/mo *IF* they have their own money for a 5% down payment and closing costs (which would be more than $15,000. IF they can't afford to RENT at $1500/mo, how are they going to BUY at that? This requires an income of about $60k per year for folks with little to no debt (and what on earth happens to them when they need a new car?). This salary is MUCH higher than the ~$38k per capita income that City-Data's data offers from 2009. I know that my husband and I, who are very educated, could only afford a house at a much lower price than that when I our kids were babies and it cost less for me to work part time and stay at home with them than for me to work.

So, again, I'd say that some of these "10" schools stay 10s because there are very low proportions of lower middle to low-income kids, and a large concentration of "high achieving" kids whose parents have been nurturing their performance since they were in utero.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
So, again, I'd say that some of these "10" schools stay 10s because there are very low proportions of lower middle to low-income kids, and a large concentration of "high achieving" kids whose parents have been nurturing their performance since they were in utero.
You've just described the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools. "Great schools" are often much more about "great students" than anything else.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:14 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Actually, median home price for Cary is just above $200k. A family with low income but high ambitions looking for a RENTAL will not find anything under ~1200/mo. The family I referred to has three children, a military and law enforcement veteran husband with 2 jobs, and they cannot find a home in the Davis Drive district. Keep in mind that home purchasing has become very difficult in recent months/years due to the real estate crash, most especially on lower income folks who can't afford to save a good sized down payment or closing costs.

The lowest priced home I could find (this includes condos) in the Davis Drive area that was NOT in Raleigh (aka bused in) was $186k and change townhome in Upchurch Farms. That's just slightly below the median home price--and there were maybe 2-3 homes in all of Davis Elementary district under that median--and certainly NONE that were far below.

Plus, once you factor in taxes, insurance, and HOA fees, you're looking at ~1500/mo *IF* they have their own money for a 5% down payment and closing costs (which would be more than $15,000. IF they can't afford to RENT at $1500/mo, how are they going to BUY at that? This requires an income of about $60k per year for folks with little to no debt (and what on earth happens to them when they need a new car?). This salary is MUCH higher than the ~$38k per capita income that City-Data's data offers from 2009. I know that my husband and I, who are very educated, could only afford a house at a much lower price than that when I our kids were babies and it cost less for me to work part time and stay at home with them than for me to work.

Anne, I thought the median home price in cary was ~$300K:

//www.city-data.com/city/Cary-North-Carolina.html

Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Quote:
Anne, I thought the median home price in cary was ~$300K:

//www.city-data.com/city/Cary-North-Carolina.html
Yes, Cheapdad, I think you might be right. Money.com has it in the mid-200s though, another site I first went to was the source of my first number, and zillow has it at $247k. So who knows?

I also wanted to mention that according to NCLB (don't quote me, it's been a long time since I heard this info on the radio), standardized tests are supposed to be reevaluated and made tougher every few years--and last year was one of those years--and I believe WCPSS predicted a drop in scores initially as a result.

And, NewUser, I can only dream of CH/Carrboro schools. Hubby works in NE Raleigh and I work from home. Even if we could afford more than a cardboard box over a heating grate, the commute is prohibitive.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:02 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
And, NewUser, I can only dream of CH/Carrboro schools.
When did I mention CH/Carrboro schools?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:41 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I will also say that I cannot even believe the overhype of the EOGs. The kids have as much time as they need to take them, can re-take if they fail.
Incorrect. I've proctored EOGs going on 3 years now and students do not have as much time as they need to take the test. The tests do have a time limit. IF your child qualifies for an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) or if your child is an ELL student then he/she may take as much time as they need. But this is a very small percentage of the population in NC... especially Western Wake Co.

Also, if a child scores a 2 (not passing) the state mandates they retake the test. BUT if the child scores a 1 the child only has to retake it IF their parent's agree to this.

I think most of the big deal is that many children who are only 8 & 9 years old are not use to sitting down and reading and answering questions for 2.5 hours straight. Yes, the top kids read for that long on a regular basis, but the reality is many 3rd, 4th, and some 5th graders just haven't developed that skill yet.

Also, many parents feel the "big deal" is that school systems waste days and weeks of real learning time when they are prepping students on testing stragtegies. I'd much rather my children be able to read and then write about what they have read or actually show their work in math instead of bubbling in answer.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:44 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Also, many parents feel the "big deal" is that school systems waste days and weeks of real learning time when they are prepping students on testing stragtegies. I'd much rather my children be able to read and then write about what they have read or actually show their work in math instead of bubbling in answer.
And once EOGs are done, the rest of the year is wasted. I have a kid taking EOG's this week. Better part of a month left to the school year after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary