Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times

Advertisements

Used cars command such a premium now we have switched gears and gone from looking for used privately to considering used at a dealer or most likely buying new at a dealer. With the economy being down people just want way too much for their used items (goes for anything these days) and aren't budging. Hey whatever, I'll buy new. My FIL just bought a brand new Toyota Matrix for about $2.5k more than a 3 year old car with 70,000 miles on it. No brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 11:55 AM

75 posts, read 124,118 times
Another thing to consider is buying an American car and not a foreign one. It makes a difference even if it is used. In the tough times we are in decisions like this can make a big difference.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey Golf View Post
Another thing to consider is buying an American car and not a foreign one. It makes a difference even if it is used. In the tough times we are in decisions like this can make a big difference.
I always grapple with this. WHat is an American car anymore? My old Bronco II had a Mitsubishi transmission and now some Toyotas are made right here in America in Tennessee. I can't tell where my money is going any more and who it is helping...

Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey Golf View Post
Buying a used foreign car vs. American doesn't add any more jobs here in the US.

Heck even buying a domestic car these days, most components are imported like all the electronics etc. GM just closed a HUGE transmission factory and is now importing those as well for specific cars. There are some foreign cars that are made in America as well, Subarus, BMWs, Toyotas, Hondas. IIRC Ford makes a lot of cars in Mexico.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I always grapple with this. WHat is an American car anymore? My old Bronco II had a Mitsubishi transmission and now some Toyotas are made right here in America in Tennessee. I can't tell where my money is going any more and who it is helping...
If you're buying used it doesn't matter. The money stays right here in the US when you pay the previous car owner. Unless they take that money and go buy a Plasma TV or something. But you can't help that.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
How Americans Can Buy American

Old 05-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Automotive News - Made in America

Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If you're buying used it doesn't matter. The money stays right here in the US when you pay the previous car owner. Unless they take that money and go buy a Plasma TV or something. But you can't help that.
Wrong. There is a big food chain related to what you purchase. Service, repairs and parts all feed off of which choice you make. There is a lot more involved than just the initial purchase. A second issue is creating demand for foreign versus American vehicles. The more Hondas on the road, new or used, the more demand there will be for additional new ones. Ever notice how certain areas of the Triangle are dominated by certain makes of vehicles?

Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Agree that its tough to "buy American" in a global economy. A Nissan manufactured in Tennessee probably supports more US jobs than a Ford from Mexico - but "manufactured" in auto terms is really just "final assembly". As noted above, parts suppliers are really a global business and they support jobs too. The struggles in Japan make this situation all too acute. I'm hearing of shortages of specific tire types/sizes due to manufacturing difficulties in Japan that are expected to last for months.

The gap between "new' and "used" pricing has certainly shrunk. New also typically offers a better warranty and better financing. Perhaps better mileage too so lower operating costs.

I don't own one, but I personally think the Kia/Hyundai twins have finally gotten their acts together and will really challenge on price with a stronger than average warranty and look poised to capture more market share.
My $.02

Frank

Old 05-17-2011, 12:53 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I would also add don't negotiate with the dealer at the dealership. Go there test drive the vehicle, get their information, then leave. Do any negotiating via email. Then show up only to sign the papers and drive the car away.

Or, if you're like me, stand there and demand they sell it for what it's worth.

LOL!

I had Edmund's TMV pulled up for the car, right there on my iPhone. Hard to argue with logic.

They caved.

We left with the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary