Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 05:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,990 times

Advertisements

Using a google search just gets me far too much information, most non local, when searching for leadership camps for Cary or Raleigh for a 16 year old boy. Any suggestions? Very interested in a two to three week leadership type camp. Found a military school offering such a thing, but too far away for a daily drive and very costly to board a student. Although I do see the advantages in the leadership role to board. Any suggestions. BTW, this is my first post ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I'm not too familiar with any specific camps like that. The two places I would look would be Cary Academy (they have tons of summer camps for teens!) and the various colleges and universities. Also, if you already live here, you could ask your HS guidance counselor!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:23 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesitsme View Post
Using a google search just gets me far too much information, most non local, when searching for leadership camps for Cary or Raleigh for a 16 year old boy. Any suggestions? Very interested in a two to three week leadership type camp. Found a military school offering such a thing, but too far away for a daily drive and very costly to board a student. Although I do see the advantages in the leadership role to board. Any suggestions. BTW, this is my first post ever!
The North Carolina Senate Page Program is not a "leadership camp", but is a great leadership experience for teens interested in how government works. It is competitive and fills quickly, but might be something to think about for the future. And the price and location are right!
North Carolina General Assembly - Senate Page Program

Old 05-17-2011, 06:45 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
City of Raleigh parks and rec has something along those lines, if you don't need for him to be away from home!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:46 AM

330 posts, read 984,888 times
Higher Ground Summer Camp has one week sessions for kids ages 8-18. Some come as campers, others come as leaders (must be 16 or older to be a volunteer leader).

The cost for the week for camper is only $350. Leaders are free. Campers do get some leadership opportunties -- especially those who we see with interest in leadership.

Unfortunately all our boys spots filled up months ago. Only spaces for girls now. But something to mark on the calendar for next summer.

Summer Camp North Carolina: Higher Ground Summer Camp - A Christian Summer Camp near Asheville, North Carolina

Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 AM

3 posts, read 6,990 times
Cary Academy does have a lot for a little younger, as well does the town of Cary. I did see the town has more for teens, an entire site dedicated to teens adventures and so on. CA is a little pricey for the time, we have used their programs in the past. The General Assembly link was interesting too. This teen will be 16 in June, is a bright student but these days falls short in about everything, not a bad kid in any way, thank goodness he test well as he is not completing work in school these days,looking for a leadership program that gets them going,motivated, doing on their own, as he seems to think all jobs require two people as many boys do, something to get the gumption back in him, but not a place for troubled teens. I believe a lot of these teens could use a program like this. And it would be great if at least one course was reviewed or prepped for the next year while attending. Thanks for the suggestions : ) The church has a large middle and high school group that helps to keep them grounded as well.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
What a great topic!!

I'm with the OP, I'm also looking for a summer camp for my 13 yr old daughter. Keep the suggestions coming!!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:54 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
This looks cool for older teens (but pricey) IMAGINE . . . Leading by Example! -- Youth Programs -- Duke Continuing Studies

NCSU has the Shelton Leadership camp this summer: http://www.ncsu.edu/extension/shelto.../challenge.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary