Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:27 AM

6 posts, read 18,960 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I need help. We are looking to relocate to the RTP area from CA and have one child (a one year old son). We have narrowed down our neighborhood search to: Cary - Macgregor West or Wessex. Or North Raleigh - Reedham Oaks, Cross Gate, North Ridge or Bent Tree.

We don't want to make the wrong decision. We know very few people out there so will be moving without a support group. We want to buy a home with a "wow" factor with at least .5 acres but also want a neighborhood that is kid friendly. We'd like our son to make friends close by. Values seem to be better in North Raleigh but I'm nervous that the neighborhoods there may not have the "kid" factor.

Anyone with local knowledge that can help? We want a mature neighborhood with custom built homes vs. mass produced style A, B, or C

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 09:48 AM

600 posts, read 3,449,059 times
Plenty of kids in the Prestonwood area. A lot of them are socially centered around the Prestonwood Country Club.... pool, tennis, golf, etc.. Plus there are other nearby public parks and greenways. Houses should meet your criteria as well.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
The only neighborhood I know anything about (from your list) is Wessex.

The lots are larger over there, so you don't see as many people roaming up and down the streets, but I know there are quite a few kids there, and I suspect the reason for the lack of people on the streets is the greenway trail access in several areas of that neighborhood. The greenway is FULL of families and kids. It's nice over this way.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1212 View Post
Plenty of kids in the Prestonwood area. A lot of them are socially centered around the Prestonwood Country Club.... pool, tennis, golf, etc.. Plus there are other nearby public parks and greenways. Houses should meet your criteria as well.

Regards,
Streamer1212
The only homes on half an acre in Prestonwood are gonna be pricier than homes on a lot the same size in Wessex.

Most homes on lots that big in the central part of Preston are upwards of 700k.

Now, in Preston Forest, across the street from the club, the lots are that size and some of the houses are pretty nice. Not exactly what I'd call "wow," but it takes a lot to wow me.

In fact, the only houses in Preston that wow me are around a million dollars, and even then, some of those are sorta blah.

Not that I don't like the houses there... there are PLENTY I'd consider buying. But... I'm not looking for a house to wow anyone. Just something that meets my needs and is near the golf course. The trees and the flowers and the course itself are wow enough over there.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:09 PM

Hey OP... I just had a thought. Weston Estates. Big lots. Heck, there's still one empty lot and you can build a house out there.

Houses are rather wow.

And there are tons of kids.

It's near Wessex, so I figure you'd like it there.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Both North Raleigh and Cary are very suburban (as are other areas such as Apex, Holly Springs, etc). It is more a matter of an individual neighborhood/street than saying "Cary/No Raleigh is not kid-friendly". It simply isn't that stratified. The whole area is very diverse with all kinds of families (including childless families) but there is no way to say "THIS neighborhood will guarantee you a lot of kids and THAT one won't"--it comes down to the particular street and particular time. This should not be an issue that would make you choose between Cary and North Raleigh, however, as you will find what you need in dozens of places in either. Just check for signs of other children when you're looking at houses, drive around on Saturdays, etc.

Last edited by Francois; 05-17-2011 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 01:31 PM

6 posts, read 18,960 times
Thanks for all the responses. I don't think Preston is for us as we don't want the flight noise and we did look at houses in that area - weren't really doing it for us.

To Francois - our issue has been that we were just out looking this last Saturday for the entire day and didn't see a single kid out in any neighborhood including the ones (like Highcroft) known to be full of kids.

Thanks for the suggestion Meh - I'll look into Weston since there isn't anything currently for sale in Wessex anyway (bummer!).

It's so hard making a decision from arms length. You don't want to make the wrong one. Unfortunately, we know that what we are looking for in terms of house and lot may not blend well with finding a neighborhood full of kids. Guess I am nostalgic and trying to find a neighborhood similar to the one I grew up in with kids playing outside, etc, etc and not sure if that even exists anymore!!

Old 05-17-2011, 01:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Well, if your on is 1, bear in mind that in a high-transient area such as either Cary OR parts of North Raleigh, by the time he's of "playing age", the composition of the neighborhood will be different anyway. I still say find the house you want based on other factors, and as long as it isn't a 55+-only community, don't worry; he will have playmates. I belive kids spend a lot more time playing inside nowadays than we did a few decades ago.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAZF View Post
Hi Everyone,
I need help. We are looking to relocate to the RTP area from CA and have one child (a one year old son). We have narrowed down our neighborhood search to: Cary - Macgregor West or Wessex. Or North Raleigh - Reedham Oaks, Cross Gate, North Ridge or Bent Tree.

We don't want to make the wrong decision. We know very few people out there so will be moving without a support group. We want to buy a home with a "wow" factor with at least .5 acres but also want a neighborhood that is kid friendly. We'd like our son to make friends close by. Values seem to be better in North Raleigh but I'm nervous that the neighborhoods there may not have the "kid" factor.

Anyone with local knowledge that can help? We want a mature neighborhood with custom built homes vs. mass produced style A, B, or C

Thanks in advance!!
OP, what's your definition of "wow" factor and who are you trying to "wow"? (also at what price range?) Keep in mind that due to the subdivision nature of housing here, buying in a subdivision which "wows" an outsider, and many good ones have been suggested already, would not necessarily wow your neighbors, because they would be living in equivalent "wow" homes (not necessarily cookie cutter, but generally equivalent levels of customization).

Old 05-17-2011, 01:56 PM

Hey, OP? There are 3 houses for sale in Wessex right now. By Wessex standards, that's a good number.

We've been looking for 8 months and 5 or 6 is the most I have ever seen for sale there at one time.

FWIW? You'll hear planes sometimes in Wessex, too. Ditto Weston Manor AND Preston.

You get used to it. It's not frequent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary