Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
What controls are used to insure these poisons don't cross property lines?
Isn't that the limitation with the treatment? If they spray your yard, at some points the mosquitos from your neighbors yard will migrate into your yard and start biting you. So for best results, get all of your neighbors to sign up to treat their yards, then the barrier is larger (or just go back to spraying DDT everywhere off the back of the truck).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:20 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,921,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
What controls are used to insure these poisons don't cross property lines?
The spray is done directly to the trees and shrubs. Maybe a little gets across, but not much.

If you live close to neighbors, you have to expect things like this, even if you don't like or want them. The only way to ensure you live in your own fully controlled atmosphere is to get a large property and move out to the country.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:14 PM

205 posts, read 487,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
The spray is done directly to the trees and shrubs. Maybe a little gets across, but not much.

If you live close to neighbors, you have to expect things like this, even if you don't like or want them. The only way to ensure you live in your own fully controlled atmosphere is to get a large property and move out to the country.
Or move into a city condo. I hear they have very little mosquito problems.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:01 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,951 times
We have had a canopy awning on our deck for years now. We just pull the mosquito netting around it at night and we never have a problem. Open it up during the day to let the breeze through. Cost $300 once and money well spent.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:17 PM

178 posts, read 583,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Yes. I've seen them in donut shaped tablets, about the diameter of a golf ball. They come in packets of 5 or 6 and I've gotten them at Home Depot/Lowes. We used them in a fountain at our last house. Supposedly it's not a chemical, but some sort of biological warfare on the mosquito larvae/eggs.
Some are some aren't. I got one that the label said it killed birds, domestic animal (so like if your do drinks out of it) and wildlife, so read the full label before purchasing! We did find one for our Kio pond that only did in the larva, and that worked perfectly and was safe for the rest of every one.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:27 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
Stay inside all summer long.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:05 PM

181 posts, read 338,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Stay inside all summer long.
That would work, but if they absolutley have to go out, they could wear a Bubble Wrap Body Suit.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,456 times
Default Mosquitoes in Raleigh? Can I sit outside?

We currently live in Wisconsin and are considering moving to the Raleigh area. One thing I would like to find out though is the mosquito situation.
I hate mosquitoes! They had been terrible in Wisconsin last year - we were eaten alive even when using bug spray. I was wondering, can you be outside in the Raleigh area at night without being bothered too much by mosquitoes? How about during the day? Is there are difference between the summer and the winter months? Do most people have screened in porches in order to sit outside?
I just want to make sure that I am not getting from a bad mosquito situation (in Wisconsin) to a worse one (in Raleigh). Thank you!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbg74 View Post
We currently live in Wisconsin and are considering moving to the Raleigh area. One thing I would like to find out though is the mosquito situation.
I hate mosquitoes! They had been terrible in Wisconsin last year - we were eaten alive even when using bug spray. I was wondering, can you be outside in the Raleigh area at night without being bothered too much by mosquitoes? How about during the day? Is there are difference between the summer and the winter months? Do most people have screened in porches in order to sit outside?
I just want to make sure that I am not getting from a bad mosquito situation (in Wisconsin) to a worse one (in Raleigh). Thank you!
I don't think there is a huge difference between north and south when it comes to "skeeters", except that in the south add a couple or three months to the problem. Worst place I ever lived for skeeters was Columbus OH, and Roanoke VA and Raleigh are a close second. Yes - you need a screened porch or something similar to avoid the bites. Also, as is probably true in Wiscy, being in direct sunlight tends to ward off mosquitos.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,530,189 times
Begrudgingly reviving this thread. ::sigh::

Those of you who used the commercial solutions last year...are you doing it again? Was the return worth the investment? Val-Pak has two advertisements (MosquitoSquad and TheMosquitoAuthority); one of them mentions a one-time payment of $400 for eight treatments.

I LOVE spring and summer but HATE fighting the bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary