Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times

Advertisements

we tried the Mosquito Authority via some Living Social or groupon deal last year. My wife like it so much she had them back paying near full price for a treatment. They fogged just about all the vegetation in the yard and the treatment worked really well for ~3 weeks. One of the treatments it rained not long after and we had to have them come out and redo the treatment, once they re-did it, it lasted another 3 weeks. I saw a couple of living social deals last week, but didn't buy them. I found this stuff at Ace or Home Depot I am going to try before signing onto a commercial solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 11:09 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
We tried one of those mosquito companies too on a groupon or living social and I agree, it did work really well for several weeks. We bought a couple more for this summer too but think I'm gonna wait a bit before having them come out.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 AM

25 posts, read 52,290 times
We have Mosquito squad spray. I was skeptical but it really works. It lasts for about 60 days and then you need it again.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,149,804 times
My neighbors have 20 bajillion bird feeders in their yard. I don't know if the increase in birds keep our mosquito levels down, but we do seem to have less than our neighbor's a block away.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,172 times
Never had a problem with mosquitos at our house, but it looks like this summer will be different! They are THICK already. We have a lot of birdfeeders, and I wonder too, if they has helped keep them in check in years past?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:50 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Begrudgingly reviving this thread. ::sigh::

Those of you who used the commercial solutions last year...are you doing it again? Was the return worth the investment? Val-Pak has two advertisements (MosquitoSquad and TheMosquitoAuthority); one of them mentions a one-time payment of $400 for eight treatments.

I LOVE spring and summer but HATE fighting the bugs.
I used Mosquito Squad last year and it seemed to reduce (not eliminate) the problems we were having. Before passing judgment I'd like to see how this year goes also.

It's a difficult result to judge because without doing a totally blind experiment with the same property and the same conditions with one having been treated and another not having been treated, who's to say the treatment helped or if the mosquitoes just weren't as bad as you had thought they would be?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,093 times
Yup, we signed up with Mosquito Authority again this year. Absolutely, 100% worth the investment.

ETA: If you sign on, they will come back to re-spray if you get bitten within 3 weeks of the treatment. And they do come every 3 weeks. We got our outdoor life back. A couple neighbors are also signing up this year after our experience last year!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,249 times
You know, I've often wondered if this mosquito problem isn't more about perception than reality. I have never been bothered by mosquitoes here in central NC. Oh, occasionally a few will land on me. No big deal. I wave them off or kill them. Spraying chemicals everywhere? Are you kidding me? Does anyone care about other creatures (and people) besides themselves?

disclaimer: I grew up in far northern New England. Now, THEM'S some skeeters! They'd carry you off after 6pm!

Old 04-21-2012, 10:34 AM

68 posts, read 120,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Yes. I've seen them in donut shaped tablets, about the diameter of a golf ball. They come in packets of 5 or 6 and I've gotten them at Home Depot/Lowes. We used them in a fountain at our last house. Supposedly it's not a chemical, but some sort of biological warfare on the mosquito larvae/eggs.
Mosquito dunks- we use them A LOT here in upstate NY.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:51 AM

71 posts, read 148,432 times
Does anyone know of a current discount or package deal at one of the mosquito treatment places that is being offered now? (I missed the older valpak/groupon/Twongo deals...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary