Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 AM

80 posts, read 145,905 times

Advertisements

If you belong(ed), what do you like/dislike? Are they responsive?

Since I've moved to Carrboro, I keep getting letters from AAA to rejoin. I belonged to AA years ago in Charlotte but finally dropped it b/c they took hours to respond the two times I called them. But, now that I have two young kids, wondering if I shouldn't have it as a backup IF AAA is more responsive in RTP.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:46 AM

276 posts, read 648,566 times
I have a membership, and have found it to be useful for travel. I've only had to use it once for a car emergency (flat tire) and they were very quick to show up and fix the tire. No complaints!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:55 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,113 times
We have it and LOVE it. They are always prompt, whether we have needed them to pull us out of a ditch we drove into or to tow the disabled van from our driveway to the shop (true incidents). We have used it a few times as our older van is on its way out of commission. When you drive used cars, I think it's crazy not to have AAA. They also have a follow up robocall to make sure you're satisfied with your experience. Their rates have had an increase recently, but we consider it a necessary driving expense we willingly make room for in our budget.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
we've had it for years and since CH travels alot and I'm alone with kids, it gives me a sense of security. We haven't used it much but when we do it is so valuable. All you need is one hot day with the kids loaded in the car to go to a birthday party or a problem on the road to realize how much you love AAA.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:08 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
We have a AAA membership too. The incremental hotel discounts can easily cover the cost of the membership.
I did some work with AAA ACS about 20 years ago in Florida. They were very worried that the average age of their membership was such that they would all be dead in 20 years.
Hasn't happened - yet :-)

Frank

Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
We have AAA and have been very pleased with it. We also cover our youngest (18) and it really has come in handy with her especially since she (and her friends) are driving more than us (beach, weekend trips, etc). It covers both the car you are driving AND a passenger in. The response times have been good too. I think any mom with young children or any families that have teenage drivers should definitely have it!

Old 05-20-2011, 09:15 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
We have AAA and have been very pleased with it. We also cover our youngest (18) and it really has come in handy with her especially since she (and her friends) are driving more than us (beach, weekend trips, etc). It covers both the car you are driving AND a passenger in. The response times have been good too. I think any mom with young children or any families that have teenage drivers should definitely have it!
Good point that sometimes is missed. AAA does not cover the car(s), but the person/family. So, for towing, there is no requirement that the car belong to them just that they are present. Do note the distance limitations for a free tow vary by plan.

Frank

Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,872 times
I love AAA and have had it since I started driving. I've used it quite a bit and it is such a comfort to have. I think the longest I've waited is 45 minutes, usually only about 30 though.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 AM

826 posts, read 1,932,609 times
I have unfortunately had to call them at least 1-2x/year the last few years but am so glad I had a membership! I would get quoted a time of 30-45 min but one of the companies that responds around Raleigh was always there within 15-20 min (or faster!). Plus, I get lots of different maps - both local and destination and have used discounts for car rentals, etc. Highly recommend!

Old 05-20-2011, 09:49 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
I've used it only once in the last few years. But when I did, it was worth its weight in gold (flat tire on a busy interstate -- they knew exactly how to handle the situation so that everybody made it home safely).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary