Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,113 times

Advertisements

Now that my girls have their laptops, we are in the market for some protective carry cases for them. Can anyone suggest where I can buy some carry cases for them that won't be too expensive. I usually go the ebay route for computer related gear, but figured I'd see if anyplace locally could give me a better deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:13 PM

4,161 posts, read 4,876,880 times
Honestly, most people just use a backpack to carry their laptop. Many of them have padded areas specifically designed to safely hold the laptop and accessories.

Security wise a backpack is also less obvious that it contains a laptop inside compared to a laptop carrying case which is a dead give-away placing it at a higher risk for theft. I've personally purchased laptop carrying cases only to find they were never used in favor of a backpack.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:22 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,113 times
That's a good point I hadn't thought of Starglow. I was the same way when it came to diaper bags. The backpack style was a wonderful change compared to the traditional ones.

Well...where do you buy your backpack?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:12 PM

4,161 posts, read 4,876,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
Well...where do you buy your backpack?
The last ones I got for me and my son were through my employer as thanks awards, but any place that sells school or college related supplies should have them.

You might have a hard time finding them in stores now since most schools are going on summer break shortly, but there's always online purchase options unless you can wait for the back to school sales to start again in August when there will be plenty of backpacks to be had and on sale.

BTW..... I volunteered at Kramden for 3 years serving the last year as Director of Technology, so I'm glad you were able to help support their worthwhile programs with your laptop purchase.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,225 times
You might try one of the Durham Rescue Mission shops. I got a laptop bag there that was like new for $5 at the store on Glenwood, but I had to pick through a pile of them, some in not so good shape.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,307 times
I read something about a company named Taylor Made Cases that is local. The don't strike me as being cheap though. (I never checked into them as I put my in a backpack).

I thought this one was cool.
ThinkGeek :: Undercover Manila Laptop Sleeve

Old 05-24-2011, 09:20 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Try Staples. I think they keep some varieties of laptop cases (including laptop bookbags) throughout the year.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:31 AM

381 posts, read 1,325,688 times
A note about backpacks, unless it was made for laptops (which means it was more expensive), there is very little protective padding in place. This is important when you have kids with laptops since they tend to just drop their backpacks when they shed them. This is a good way to save a little money and lose a lot.

If you use backpacks - especially for kids - get backpacks that have additional padding on the bottom and a built-in niche for laptops.

As for where to buy that sort of stuff, really, Best Buy is pretty good in terms of selection and price. I looked around last year to get cases or backpacks when our kids got laptops, and Best Buy worked out best for us.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary