Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 11:01 PM

3 posts, read 2,905 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new to this forum and I could really use some help. My husband and I are planning on moving to the Raleigh/Cary/Apex area next summer after our son graduates from high school. We have visited the area a couple of times and really love it. We are currently in a rural delta area in Arkansas and my husband has his own law practice. We live in a rather small area where everyone knows everyone and word of mouth is the best advertising. He just recently became licensed to practice in North Carolina and we are not sure the best way to go about opening a small practice in the area. It's a rather scary and daunting task. We really like Cary and Apex. I guess we are more used to a small town feel so we are leaning towards Apex. We would like to get an office open within the next 6 months so that we have something started by the time we move. Can anyone suggest the best areas to look at and the best means of advertising (newspaper or radio, etc.) in the area? We are trying to look at the most economical way to do this and it is becoming somewhat overwhelming trying to research everything over the internet. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 08:18 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
What type of law does he practice?

Vicki

Old 06-12-2011, 01:24 PM

Mainly general practice. Litigation, commercial, some bankruptcy.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:26 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I had a client that was a new attorney. He checked out Law newspapers and publications and such to find his job. He didn't start his own practice, just found a practice that needed another attorney.

Starting a new practice in a new area may take some time but I'm not familiar enough to guide you.

Vicki

Old 06-12-2011, 06:04 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
You know, if you're new to the area, and prefer something more small-town, why not look at Holly Springs if you like Apex? It's even more outlying and there may be more of a need for resources like a good general practice attorney. Is there some sort of bar association online board where peers could guide him?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
You know, if you're new to the area, and prefer something more small-town, why not look at Holly Springs if you like Apex? It's even more outlying and there may be more of a need for resources like a good general practice attorney. Is there some sort of bar association online board where peers could guide him?
Hey! That does sound like a good idea.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:23 AM

117 posts, read 284,230 times
To me word of mouth and building relationships is always the best way to advertise for attorneys although traditional advertising may be helpful in some areas and bankruptcy might be one of them since it is specialized and you need to practice in Federal Court.

Definitely join the NC Bar Association - they should have some resources for small practices. They also have a lawyer referral service which you can sign up for. Join the Bar Association sections in his practice areas and go to local bar meetings to meet other attorneys. BNI or other referral groups might be a good source for business but make sure to read the ethics opinions before joining.

Maybe finding an office sharing arrangement would be helpful as well - could end up being referral sources.

Have a good website.

Those are some ideas off the top of my head. Feel free to have him contact me.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Just an aside, but I'd be willing to bet there are far fewer lawyers where you live right now than there are here in the Triangle area of NC. We're sandwiched between several highly-regarded law schools.

Had you considered more rural areas of NC?

He may find more of a demand there. Just an idea.

If he's looking for a really small practice, not wanting to create a huge client base, this may not be much of an issue. Just throwing the idea out there.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks! Really appreciate the ideas!!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
FWIW --

After being in a fender bender last month, we received lots of ads and letters from many law firms who were interested in handling our case. (We were hit by another car, their fault, but there was no case.) It seemed to be about 100 or more pieces of mail.

That may be normal, but it seemed a lot of lawyers are desperately seeking clients. So for that kind of litigation, there is a lot of competition here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary