Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:51 PM

544 posts, read 852,404 times

Advertisements

If they think they can make money at it, they'll try it. Unfortunately, WTVD's coverage is decidedly sensationalist, deliberately dramatic and not always in the best interest of viewers. But that shouldn't be surprising, since they are not locally owned. They are owned by the network, with limited interest in the community -- just look at how many long-time local talent is still there.

It will be the same stories you see during their other newscasts, and if you consider that the majority of the copy written in the newscast (not including the reporter packages) is prepared by early 20-somethings with limited life experience, you'll see why local television news -- while entertaining -- is frequently of limited news value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 01:49 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
But you'll be heard uttering the words, "4. I'm glad I spent all the time I did complaining about TV on city-data.com!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I couldn't care less what the stations put on the air - especially during the work day.

That's why God created the remote control. If you don't like what is on change the channel. Better yet, just turn the tv off and do something more productive with your life.

A long time from now (hopefully) when I lay on my death bed, I promise you I will not be heard uttering the words 1) I wish I spent more time at the office 2) I wish I spent more time in traffic 3) I wish I spent more time watching tv.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:01 PM

Oh, I'm sure it will be.

For those not familiar with local news, when there's a bus accident or something, the story goes like this:

On the TV screen, it says BREAKING NEWS. Behind Steve, the wall says BREAKING NEWS. And he says, "I'm in the BREAKING NEWS CENTER, and in BREAKING NEWS TODAY, a bus overturned in Cary. And now we'll go live to (whoever) who is at the scene covering this BREAKING NEWS."

And the screen still says, BREAKING NEWS. And the reporter somehow gets the phrase "BREAKING NEWS" into the story and says that it's an exclusive. I think they're the ones who may say, "We're the only station covering this story..." I guess people didn't know what "exclusive" meant.

I love local news, but I want to start screaming when I hear BREAKING NEWS. To me, breaking news should be limited to when they actually break into normal programming to report MAJOR stories such as natural disasters, wars, or assassinations.

Every time I hear it, I think: Their management thinks we're all stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I'm really surprised they're not turning it into The Steve Daniels Breaking News Hour.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:22 PM

545 posts, read 1,605,315 times
Well, I don't think it could be Dr Oz. That already comes on Fox 50. I would think there was some kind of contract where you can't show the same show on competing networks??? I don't know, I'm just guessing.

So, now you can watch the local news 4:00 - 6:30 on 11, then turn to 17 at 7:00 for another hour, then turn to 22 or 50 at 10:00 for another 30 minutes. I don't think enough happens around here in a day for that much local news!

Last edited by Straitlover; 05-26-2011 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-26-2011, 02:27 PM

No, he's moving to Channel 17 (NBC) at 3 pm. It's a syndicated program, so it can be sold to any network. Syndication was the secret to big bucks for Oprah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_syndication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitlover View Post
Well, I don't think it could be Dr Oz. That already comes on Fox 50. I would think there was some kind of contract where you can't show the same show on competing networks??? I don't know, I'm just guessing.

So, now you can watch the local news 4:00 - 6:30 on 11, then turn to 17 at 7:00 for another hour, then turn to 22 or 50 at 10:00 for another 30 minutes. I don't think enough happens around here in a day for that much local news!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:31 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,530,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
For those not familiar with local news, when there's a bus accident or something, the story goes like this:
It's a running joke in our household, so when I saw this thread, I knew I couldn't resist. I've been doing an informal study over the last several years. The percentage of BREAKING NEWS increases by 500% whenever Steve Daniels is on the air. Otherwise, the Triangle is generally pretty quiet. LOL

I think poor Steve is really jonesing for a primo position in Detroit or LA or some other market where the per capita crime rate and occurrence of BREAKING NEWS is more in line with his expectations.

Yet, I can't look away...because I'm a news junkie...and I wouldn't want to miss out on the really important BREAKING NEWS.

Maybe we should turn it into a drinking game.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:34 PM

544 posts, read 852,404 times
Quote:
I think poor Steve is really jonesing for a primo position in Detroit or LA or some other market
We should get so lucky. He CAME here from LA. So we are now blessed with his unique brand of body bag infotainment. (because I certainly wouldn't call it journalism.)

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-26-2011 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Fixed the quote coding

Old 05-26-2011, 04:58 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
But you'll be heard uttering the words, "4. I'm glad I spent all the time I did complaining about TV on city-data.com!"
No likely. Wasting time on the internet is right up there with wasting time watching TV. That's why I am cutting back on both.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:18 PM

I think the "BREAKING NEWS" insanity is less Steve's fault and more likely the decision of the station management.

Broadcast journalists can do good jobs, but having "BREAKING NEWS" plastered over every newscast is something that must be high on management's requirements. No one in his or her right mind would do it on purpose.

I guess they (managers) are trying to differentiate their station from the others. They've succeeded in that, I think, but probably not in the way they hoped.

Quote:
I think poor Steve is really jonesing for a primo position in Detroit or LA or some other market /quote]

We should get so lucky. He CAME here from LA. So we are now blessed with his unique brand of body bag infotainment. (because I certainly wouldn't call it journalism.)

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 05-26-2011 at 06:17 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 06:14 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
n/m
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary