Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

I've had some great buyers. I've also had some real nutjobs.

I need to give away an old stove. I'm dreading it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 01:22 PM

275 posts, read 396,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
I sell and give stuff away through my neighborhood's listserv quite frequently. If someone forgets to show, you can just call them and remind them, or schlepp on over to their house.
I wish it were just as simple as giving someone a reminder. I was interested in buying a van, and the seller refused to give me his address or his phone number. I finally wrangled a phone number out of him. He said he lived in Apex, but would not tell me the address. He said to call him when I "got close" and he would "talk me the rest of the way". We set a time. I drove all the way from Garner to Apex that night, and got an answering machine again and again. After waiting about 20 minutes at a gas station I went home. He then emailed me and told me that oh, the number he gave me was his work number and he had it forwarded to his home phone, but "something must not have worked". me Then he still would not give me an address or home phone number and wanted to do the same call-me-when-you're-close junk, still with his work number. What a flake!
Another seller had a van and told me I was trying to "lowball" her when I gave her a offer. (She wanted to include the cost of various repairs in the price.) While I was looking at the vehicle, she kept getting cell phone calls and shouting "no, you can't buy it right now. Someone else is looking at it." But I noticed that her grandson was always out of sight when the cell phone rang, and after the call ended he would wander back into view. After about four times it was obvious what they were doing. Then the next week she relisted for the same price I offered. I called her and told her I'd take it at that price. Two nights in a row she canceled at the last minute. Then we set a time for the next morning. When I called to confirm, her daughter answered the phone, and rather snippily told me it was "sold last night". I mean, gee, if you have another buyer and I'm just your back up, just say so.
Both times I had the cash money in my pocket and was a motivated buyer!

Old 05-27-2011, 01:46 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
We sold a mattress set and a Stairmaster fitness machine on Craigslist.

Went well each time.

Also had success with WPTF Triangle Trader show.

Small stuff goes well on ebay for my wife, collectibles.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,470 times
I have sold/bought a few items on Craigslist, and have only had minor issues. I ignore the emails from super low-ballers and people who can't form a competent sentence. I look on ebay to find an average price for whatever I'm selling, and then knock off about 5-10%. I leave enough flexibility in the price for bargainers, but not so much that I'm turning off serious buyers.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:28 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Selling on Craigslist, I take several precautions.

1) Use a hotmail email address, specific to Craigslist and other "internet junk mail". Something like "internet_junkmail@hotmail.com"

2) Use a Google Voice #, untraceable, that forwards to whatever phone I want.

3) Always, always, ALWAYS meet at a public place to sell, in my case a grocery store right up the street. For large items (ie air compressor) I pull the item out of my garage and shut the door. No one comes in or looks around my place.

So far so good

Old 05-28-2011, 10:47 AM

2,618 posts, read 3,148,515 times
I have been fortunate with several Craigslist deals.

Another forum is Triangle Trader on 680, WPTF, Sundays 12-3. Check it out at NewsRadio 680 WPTF. Call in with items & a phone #, or listen to other calls. I've sold & bought a few things this way too. No problems.

You will always run into some kind of flake or kook somewhere. Caution is one thing, but those little games indicate a highly paranoid person who likely fears his own shadow.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I'm having the OPPOSITE problem. I can't get anything on Craigslist--it's super-competitive! Even if I call the same day the item is posted, it has usually sold. I figured it was the economy--folks looking for deals.
install one of the many craigslist apps on your smart phone or ipad or droid. VERY helpful.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 AM

12 posts, read 16,992 times
I've used the apps as well with success. 2nd that suggestion.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:36 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,547 times
If you don't need the cash from selling the item, Goodwill could be another option. They give you a reciept so you do get the deduction on your taxes at least. And if you have enough or a big enough item they will pick it up.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I have been fortunate with several Craigslist deals.

Another forum is Triangle Trader on 680, WPTF, Sundays 12-3. Check it out at NewsRadio 680 WPTF. Call in with items & a phone #, or listen to other calls. I've sold & bought a few things this way too. No problems.

You will always run into some kind of flake or kook somewhere. Caution is one thing, but those little games indicate a highly paranoid person who likely fears his own shadow.
I tried to listen to Triangle Trader last Sunday at 12:30. It wasn't on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary