Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:10 PM

233 posts, read 269,858 times

Advertisements

Much to my dismay, I see my neighbor has placed a metal fire pit in a pine straw mulched area right up against multi-thousand acres of dense woods. Needless to say if one burning ember touches the pine straw it is going to go up like an inferno.

Is there any local restrictions preventing such stupidity? They don't see a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:43 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,825,772 times
Maybe they are using it as a decorative element, without intending to use it for fires.

I think most people don't realize how risky real fires can be. My mom once cleaned out the ash from her living room fireplace, at least a day after her last fire, and spread the ashes along a flower bed as a way to change the pH. Unfortunately, the flower bed was alongside a wooden post fence, .... that caught fire!
Fortunately, she saw it, and was able to put it out with her hose. But she was shocked as she had spread the ashes and had not noticed any big or hot coals.

If you are worried, I'd surf to find news articles from a few months ago about the apartment complexes that had fires that spread via the straw near their buildings. Print it out and leave it folded into their door.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
Could you call your local fire station and ask their opinion?

Vicki

Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,179 times
My neighbors cut down an entire pine forest separating our house from theirs, creating a huge fire hazard (once the pine needles dried out). Across the street, another set of neighbors decided to burn a pile of branches that got out of hand, and someone (not me) called it in. I got home to find a couple of fire trucks in the road, so I asked one of the firemen if there was anything I could do about the fire hazard down the hill. Nope. Either a fireman or law enforcement officer would actually have to see the FIRE BEING SET before they could do anything. So basically, we're all screwed.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:21 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,251 times
Every town in the triangle now has ordinances against using pine straw within a certain distance of a structure. Perhaps the fire pit counts as a structure? I would call the inspections department and rat them out.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Your neighbors sound like idiots.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:57 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Every town in the triangle now has ordinances against using pine straw within a certain distance of a structure. Perhaps the fire pit counts as a structure? I would call the inspections department and rat them out.
Those ordinance usually don't apply to single family homes, much less a fire pit.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 AM

5,881 posts, read 6,948,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
Much to my dismay, I see my neighbor has placed a metal fire pit in a pine straw mulched area right up against multi-thousand acres of dense woods.
Just curious - where around here is "multi-thousand acres of dense woods" ?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:26 AM

379 posts, read 959,264 times
Could be the land that the Army Corps of Engineers has in NW Cary that borders Amberly????

Old 05-31-2011, 06:44 AM

233 posts, read 269,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Just curious - where around here is "multi-thousand acres of dense woods" ?
In the Bonsal area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary