Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,954 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Triangle and my husband is an avid road biker. He regularly rides 20-80 miles with groups or solo. We're wondering which areas of the triangle are best for road biking. We're looking at Cary, Bedford, and Chapel Hill. Can anyone recommend a popular and safe area for road biking? He is willing to drive to a ride but prefers to be able to leave from home. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:19 PM

5,747 posts, read 17,625,750 times
When I was into road cycling (20 mi rides after work each day and a long 60 mi ride on the weekend) I found that my favorite places to go were out in the country. . . . . . No traffic lights, long 2-lane roads with minimal traffic. . . etc. All of the places that you mention are more heavily populated with more traffic and stop lights.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:27 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,114,479 times
A friend of mine is an avid biker. She has ridden with groups on Meetup. You might want to look up a group on there and ask an organizer.

She always seems to go on ridiculously long rides, in ridiculously hot temperatures, in ridiculously congested areas -- until they make it out into more open areas, all on the same ride.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:33 PM
NG2

62 posts, read 147,519 times
I live in a neighborhood next to Bedford and i ride around 60+ miles a week. I usually meet with people at the trek store of Raleigh and ride out there on Mondays and thursdays (33 miles). You can ride the 1.5 miles to the store and meet for most rides.

If you go to raven ridge and head north you are out of traffic in 2 miles and can do 70+ rides solo or in groups.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,328,425 times
There are groups of road bikers around Cary quite frequently. I'm pretty sure that Cycling Spoken Here has a group.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:12 AM

4,480 posts, read 11,634,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
There are groups of road bikers around Cary quite frequently. I'm pretty sure that Cycling Spoken Here has a group.
Yep, lots of road bikers in Cary. You don't have to head west very far to encounter country roads with less traffic. Quite a few rides start at Cycling Spoken Here:

CSH Summer Road Rides 1 - Trek & Gary Fisher Bicycles

Bicycle Chain has some as well:

The Bicycle Chain Calendar - Cary, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Apex - The Bicycle Chain

I'm more of a greenway/Umstead rider myself, but there are tons of group road riding opportunities in SW Cary.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:17 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,328,425 times
Yeah. I'm more of a greenway/Umstead rider, too. I don't even own a road bike.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,552,668 times
I live in North Raleigh near Bedford -- I can't say I have ever seen bicyclists on Falls of Neuse -- but if you can make your way backroads to Raven Ridge, then there tons of bicyclists that go on Raven Ridge and Possum Track and over to Norwood Road or Six Forks and I have no idea where they go from there.

The bicycle store (?Trek) on Raven Ridge would be able to tell you where they ride. It is my understanding that folks meet there - leave their cars in the parking lot & set out on a ride. If your DH can make his way to the bicycle store, then he could just ride from home. I pass bicyclists every day on Raven Ridge/Possum Track. They aren't the best roads (no bicycle lane) but they are not heavily traveled.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:00 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,153,187 times
There's a good scene up in N. Raleigh, which I know very little about. Also from Cary/Apex/Holly Springs you can do a LOT of riding around Jordan and Harris Lakes. That is my area, I live near the Lee/Chatham County Line near Hwy 42 and cycling is great. I rode 47 miles on Friday, zero traffic lights, and only unclipped once to rest (didn't need to stop at all for any traffic, to give you an idea of the roads!).

The other place that has a really good scene is Chapel Hill, and specifically around the "Dairyland" area, so-named I assume because of the farmland, but also great because one of the known routes is a metric century that has a stop at Mapleview Farms (homemade icecream from local cows) near the end.

The Chapel Hill area may be a bit hillier than around the lakes in Wake/Chatham/Lee counties, for better or for worse.

Long story short, there is (IMO) a very vibrant cycling scene here.

It's worth checking out Trianglemtb.com. It's actually an MTB site, but lots of roadies there too (including myself, on both kinds of bikes).

It is worth mentioning that this is an area that is not 100% used to bikes, so there is some waning animosity towards cyclists. I hate to be the one to bring it up, but it's only a matter of time. Fact is that most drivers, and most cyclists are very cool, and mindful of one another, but there is a small minority of both poplulations that make it tough for the other, and for the rest of us... Worth knowing. I find that if I go to the places that are more frequented by cyclists (those places mentioned herewith), that cars are more expecting and understanding. Just a thought.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:21 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,158,402 times
I have some family members who ride avidly, mostly in groups affiliated with/leaving from the Finley YMCA. If you are interested in North Raleigh, that's where a lot of the rides start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary