Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 PM

9 posts, read 11,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
Transplant here and I love the "Beltline." So simple. So logical. To me, it made perfect sense. I mean, it's a loop after all! Everyone can relate to the Beltline - I mean, even if you don't wear one, you know exactly what it is.

Agree, the E/W thing just doesn't make any sense. I suppose it does make it fun to give directions!!

Transplant: Excuse me, Sir - But how can I get to Gorman St from 64/264 in Knightdale?

Local: This here's the Triangle. If you go hard enough West on 440, you'll find yourself going North!

Transplant: Uh, okay...I guess so...

Local: And if you go hard enough East, you'll find yourself heading South!

Transplant: Yeeahhh, riiiighhht - head East to go North...ah, Thank You - or maybe I should say No Thank You coz in NCDOT world No Thank You actually means Thank You!

Local: Well, bless your heart! Now you got it!!! Have a nice day!!
Hey man thank you so much. You're a logical thinker. The Beltline belongs to raleigh. It's original to this city. What they're doing now is really taking away the uniqueness that sets Raleigh apart from other cities. It's generic now. Hey here's something....Charlotte just ammended their signs: I-485 and I-277 have adopted inner and outer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:14 PM

I disagree with you. It make perfect sense. Charlotte adopted inner/outer for their non-contigious loop I-277 and also 485 but they kept north south east and west....Raleigh should've kept inner outer but added north south east and west. Why would charlotte add inner outer when raleigh removed them? nc dot isnt va dot.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Because the reference is to a city, not a building.
Here's a grammar doozy for ya.

Capital Ford used to have a logo with a drawing of the Capitol building (the dome, anyway) on it.

People seem to wanna use those two words interchangeably.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:16 PM

Listen the no light issue i completely agree with. Charlotte could have more freeway lights but atleast they have some. Only cary just put some up on US1/64 freeway and recently I-40 in cary only at exits

Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Me to girlfriend! It's the beltline and always will be to Raleighites and yes DC Houston and Norfolk-VA beach all call their loops inner and outer...they just include north south east and west

Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 PM

Default I-440/I-40 Beltline, Lights?...Inner/Outer?

Anyone know why NCDOT added Inner/Outer designations to I-485 (Outer Loop) and I-277 (Their Beltline) when retiring them here? I thought it was supposed to be too confusing? Well apparently it makes sense or they wouldn't have added those designations to their freeway loops. Seems really hard to understand why our tax dollars in Raleigh were used to change signs for god sakes that were supposed to be a burden to motorists. Raleigh should've just added North, South, East, West like Charlotte for those who needed extra options. If DC, Houston, Norfolk and Harrisburg PA find it useful then whats the big deal?

Oh yeah....why the f*** doesn't Raleigh have freeway lights? You can't freakin' see at night when driving.

And on the Beltline going toward Cary, why does it go from 5 lanes to 2 at Wade Ave?

Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Talking We have Top Men working on it...

YouTube - ‪Top Men‬‏

Old 06-02-2011, 05:13 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBeltline View Post
Anyone know why NCDOT added Inner/Outer designations to I-485 (Outer Loop) and I-277 (Their Beltline) when retiring them here? I thought it was supposed to be too confusing? Well apparently it makes sense or they wouldn't have added those designations to their freeway loops. Seems really hard to understand why our tax dollars in Raleigh were used to change signs for god sakes that were supposed to be a burden to motorists. Raleigh should've just added North, South, East, West like Charlotte for those who needed extra options. If DC, Houston, Norfolk and Harrisburg PA find it useful then whats the big deal?

Oh yeah....why the f*** doesn't Raleigh have freeway lights? You can't freakin' see at night when driving.

And on the Beltline going toward Cary, why does it go from 5 lanes to 2 at Wade Ave?
There will be lots of deaths here as boomers age and still try to drive on the garbage interstates after dark.

Even in daylight, the ill designed pieces of trash that pretend to be highways keep dropping off the right lane so anyone wanting to drive at a speed more comfortable to them keeps getting bumped off as the right lane drops off and soon reappears.

These highways are cobbled together by grossly incompetent engineers instead of being designed for efficiency and safety.

Where is our public transit? Folks are almost forced to use roads that are beyond their driving abilities.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:01 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Thanks Mike.....very assuring to hear

Old 06-02-2011, 06:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
The roads around here were designed by a couple of toddlers using fingerpaints on their bathroom wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary