Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 PM

19 posts, read 27,188 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I need advice from New Yorkers. I am a 49 year old male, married with a 14 year old son and a 11 year old daughter. I am looking to get out of Staten Island...NYC as a whole has been getting progressively worse...I will end it here. I need to know if anyone has recently moved to Wake Forest/Chapel Hill in a similiar situation than I. I am retired, however I have a well paying full time job and a pension. I can get work in Raleigh not making the same money, but I do not care. Money cannot buy happiness. How does one make a transition? I am planning a 5 day trip to NC this summer. What should we do? I am looking for an area with most (not all)necessities I am used to, NICE friendly people ( I am overly friendly), close to shopping, quiet area, clean, outdoor restaurants, kid friendly, low crime, etc...I guess I am looking for paradise...I fully understand there is no utopia. Ant kind of advice is appreciated, but I would really like to hear from NY's especially those who lived in Brooklyn/Staten Island, etc...Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
We moved here last summer from NY (Long Island)....I don't think anyone can tell anyone else how they will fare on a re-location. It's entirely dependent on you. Right off the bat if you are focusing on comparing where you are from to where you are relocating, and what you'll be missing and how people will re-act to you, you may not yet be in the right mindset. If you really, truly want to make a change you are better off embracing the differences rather than worrying about them. It's NOT ""NY South" down here, despite reports to the contrary.

You ask "what should we do"...we are a bunch of strangers - can't answer that.

How do you make a transition? You realize that wherever you go most people are happy to see a smiling face and make a friendly conversation and hear how much you love your new home

Old 05-09-2011, 08:59 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Twingles knows this area. That's good advice.

I'm not from NYC, but quite a few of my friends are.

Why Wake Forest/Chapel Hill?

I'm a local, btw.

I live in Cary. You can't throw a rock without hitting a relo around here, but people are quite friendly.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
You posted a similar question last August: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ho-fed-up.html

It's good you are visiting.

You can probably do an Advanced Search with the words "Staten Island" and find some info.

Chapel Hill is a bit of a drive from Wake Forest. You'd probably be happier in Wake Forest because it's more family oriented -- it isn't a college town and isn't as expensive. It's very nice and has a wider variety of housing. All of the Triangle area is basically suburban, so you'll need to embrace that. But we all have plenty of places to shop and eat. There's the ballpark in Durham, places to see Broadway plays, museums, movies, etc. We just have fewer people per square mile than the NYC area.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:52 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
So many people assume that Chapel HIll is NOT family oriented because it is perceived as a college town and that just is not true. We have been back in Chapel Hill after many years and I can tell you, I can go weeks without seeing a "college kid".

There are so many family activities around here it is hard to decide which way to go. Yes it is expensive but it is worth it. OP has kids in school and CH has the best school system in N.C.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:42 AM

15 posts, read 26,249 times
Born NYC, grew up on Long Island NY then Grand Canyon AZ. Your post interested me because I'm considering the triangle area too. Been to Durham but knew mainly Duke people. I think people are people; it's the weather that changes! My way of connecting is through animal rights organizations. I think if you find a good place to volunteer you'll meet people you like. Your kids will complain and laugh wherever you go. I plan on a visit in July; would like to hear more about your discoveries. Good Luck.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Lived in NYC before coming here from New Orleans in 1989.

A few things to consider when you visit.

1. Almost no public transit
2. Most highways have no lighting - bad if your vision at night is poor
3. Way fewer attractions than NYC

Be sure you consider what you lose as well as what you gain in NC.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:45 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
If your only goal is to "get out of somewhere", then you should not limit your destinations--look at multiple areas since just because some places get more "press" than others does not mean that they are the "only" place to go.

You should always move somewhere because you want to be there specifically, not because you want to be "out of somewhere else", since "out of [where you are]" pretty much includes the whole world.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:09 AM

19 posts, read 27,188 times
I thought I made myself clear> I narrowed my choices to areas mentioned in NC:
"get out of somewhere" is Staten Island NY
Wanting to move to Chapel Hill or Wake Forest

Old 05-10-2011, 11:32 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
Personally I would focus on Wake forest. But you have plenty of time to visit both towns in 5 days.

I was on a house hunting tour in Raleigh recently. I used a popular online map site to mark potential houses, and searched in those areas for things my family needs; dance studios, schools, libraries, theaters, shopping we like, parks, etc. Once I started saving all those locations to the map, I had a 'constellation' that has helped me target the area I want to live in. When I got to town I did a combo of looking at housing and visiting the other places. I even got my eyebrows waxed and the car lubed! I tried to view it as a resident would, rather than a person on vacation.

I also told EVERYONE I met that i was planning to relocate and asked endless questions about everything under the sun. People were very friendly and had lots of info. If you are outgoing and a retired cop, you should trust your instincts and investigative skills and you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary