Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:44 AM

18 posts, read 31,271 times

Advertisements

Listen to the previous advice about the recent (year) sold comps.
As for the listing, you have to word it to sell, but be honest. Most look before they go to a viewing and buyers want pictures that you can actually SEE. Also the note about the paint is a biggie. People who buy a property like yours aren't willing to drop a lot of $$ to make changes right away if at all. You have to clean up your house, present it neatly and accurately, and price it accurately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:12 PM

402 posts, read 1,406,309 times
Exclamation Let the Staging & De-cluttering Begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guimond777 View Post
. . . I know its a great location. I've currently am planning on dropping the price another 6,000 (to 89,900). . . . Please let me know if anyone has any ideas, suggestion, or people looking?
Now, that you think you've set a better price and the housing season is beginning, I would recommend staging and de-cluttering.

Have your walls repainted (pretty cheap compared to selling price) a neutral beige IF they are colored or wallpapered. Only hang one item per wall as a general rule. One nicely sized landscape will look better than a photo collage.

Have carpets cleaned or replaced with neutral (beige) carpeting. Other than a rug at an entryway, you want to let any wood or tile flooring show. So, throw the throw rugs into storage too.

Pack up and store all extra furniture, heavy curtains, extra clothes, kitchen items, and especially, personal items like pictures and nicknacks. You don't need Christmas decorations and quilts, so out they go. Take leaves out of tables & get rid of extra chairs. No refrigerator magnets or collections of anything other than neutral candles.

Seriously,anything that you can live without for 2 months, pack it up. You can always retrieve it from storage IF you really need it. If you have a patio make it look picture perfect with a SMALL table with 2 chairs and a green plant.

You want a potential buyer's first impression to be: Wow! This is spacious. It really FEELS like there is a lot of extra room. You don't want to leave anything for a potential buyer to dislike. Remove anything that says, "I live here and YOU don't." Make it look like a chic hotel.

Space is the key: Make ample space everywhere: space to walk, empty wall space, empty space on counters, in closets, and in cabinets. Stage everything down to the last drawer.

Have the realtor post lots of pics of your condo online. Your place should look inviting, spacious, and airy. I have actually seen listings online with dark, cluttered rooms. Pictures should show open blinds, all lights on, and even lit candles on the side of the tub. (It looks inviting.) You may have to have these retaken if the previous ones are not picture perfect. After all, the online pics are usually what entice the buyer to take a look in person.

Best of Luck!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Get rid of that picture that shows the parking lot. Nobody wants to look at parking lots. Maximize the pictures inside the home and of the front and back yards. Also, there has to be a more flattering way to present the front of your house... it's rather plain... maybe grab a couple of potted trees of some sort and put them out front by the doors? Just a thought.

You aren't in an area that has really great schools, and you're a 2br, which I don't think is a size that sells like hotcakes in Cary.

But... your price isn't very high, and again... find those comps in your area.

Sold comps.

That will tell you whether you're asking too much.

I wouldn't pay much attention to what your neighbors are trying to sell for.

You DO want to pay attention to their staging and pictures. If they've put more effort into it, it will really show.

Is there some reason you don't want to hire some kind of realtor? It looks as though you don't have one.

I do agree that your description statement needs punching up a bit. It reads rather flat right now.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:17 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times
great advice here...but I would definitely repaint everything in a neutral color, from the photos on fmrealty.com, there are some bright colors that may turn some buyers off as well as the expense to repaint. I would price doors for the kitchen area, not sure if that's a pantry or laundry area...that may spruce up that space as well. Remove those curtains off the slider...too bulky and distracting. Front entry does not look inviting...a few plants/annuals and a little mulch go a long way...spruce it up a bit... I hope I'm looking at the right listing, went by your price point...

Old 06-01-2011, 02:20 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Also, brace yourself that you may/will not get what you paid for it when you originally purchased. This may mean you need to bring some cash with you at closing depending on the type of financing (100%) you currently have. If you were a prospective buyer would you want to buy your place. Why are you moving away from the location, what does your new residence have that the old one doesn't? Once you answer those questions, figure out the most cost effective way to minimize those deficiencies. Good luck to you. I know its a tough time to sell.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 AM

11 posts, read 31,084 times
As a buyer I looked for a space I could visualize my family in. When I was ready to sell, I made sure potential buyers could see themselves being the owner if the home. You have to declutter, remove extra furniture, and anything else except those things that you absolutely need. Remove any personal items like pictures, trophies, degrees, etc. And make your home as neutral as possible. If you have things like bright or very "original" paint colors or murals consider changing that to a neutral. Make sure your home is bright, smells well, and is always clean. Watch "Sell This House" they have alot of really good tips that could help your home sell. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary