Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:13 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
I must have missed where the OP said they only had 2 months of living expenses saved up.
Weird. I really thought that comment was part of the OP's opening statement.

Perhaps I misread, but when I asked the OP about only having a couple months' living expenses, the OP didn't correct me. I'll have to assume I wasn't too far off base.

If the OP has enough in the bank to pay a years' lease up front AND still afford to eat, more power to her (him?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 06:13 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
Why are you always so against people moving here? Every single time someone has a question about moving here you always respond and say "DON'T MOVE HERE" or something along those lines. Some people just need a fresh start in a new place and she was asking for suggestions about apartments.
The OP did mention "any input would be awesome."

That opened the doors for the "Welcome Wagon."

Old 06-02-2011, 08:23 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
If you have some money saved up and are bound and determined to move without having a job lined up, I would suggest trying to live as cheaply as possible for the first year. My (now) husband moved here with me without a job (I moved here because I got a job here prior to moving) thinking it would just take a month or two to land something. We still opted for a less expensive apartment that I could easily cover on my own (including some money left over for fun) just in case.

It was a good thing we did that, because it took him almost an entire year to land a decent paying full time job in his field. In the meantime he worked part time retail, but that paid peanuts. And that was in 2006 before the job market went to crap.

Areas I would recommend without knowing where you will end up working would be Cameron Village and the downtown neighborhoods such as Glenwood South, Boylan Heights, Mordecai, and Historic Oakwood. All of these areas are within an easy walk or bike ride to downtown, which is likely where you will be spending most of your social time.

If you don't need luxury finishes in your apartment and can deal with older buildings, you can find some reasonably priced 1br places for under $800 in these areas (such as Raleigh Apartments, Cameron Village Apartments). Additionally, there are many charming apartments in older houses in the historic neighborhoods as well.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2011, 02:53 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
All the original poster wanted was suggestions about where to live. Why are we even discussing anything else? Seriously folks, let's try and stay focused and recognize that not every thread is a soap box.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
All the original poster wanted was suggestions about where to live. Why are we even discussing anything else? Seriously folks, let's try and stay focused and recognize that not every thread is a soap box.
How come when I say that, I get called little Miss Sunshine?!!

I agree. Poster comes on to ask a question and the first thing anyone says is "do a search", next thing is "get a job".

I remember when I was a newbie to this forum. I wanted answers. I did not want to go back through thousands of threads to read outdated information. If someone doesn't want to answer, don't answer or NICELY explain about the search features.

So much for the "Welcome Wagon", as Mike stated!

Vicki

Old 06-02-2011, 03:27 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
I'm still waiting for the "get a job" crew to launch into how our drought conditions are the result of over-development and completely independent of the weather.

Granted it's a public forum and so all commentary is (gulp) welcomed. But reruns are boring regardless of the forum in which you encounter it.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM

84 posts, read 142,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headed2raleigh View Post
I am still job searching and will find a job when i get there. Its a little hard to interview when im 5 hours away.
I applaud your adventurous spirit. At your age you can be a little risky and wait till you arrive in the RDU area to find a job. I am relocating in a month and can't wait to start a new life in Raleigh. Although I have a job already, my wife doesn't and will be looking once we arrive.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:03 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Weird. I really thought that comment was part of the OP's opening statement.

Perhaps I misread, but when I asked the OP about only having a couple months' living expenses, the OP didn't correct me. I'll have to assume I wasn't too far off base.

If the OP has enough in the bank to pay a years' lease up front AND still afford to eat, more power to her (him?)
Yes, go ahead and assume you are correct. I have a feeling you do that lot.

Get a grip, the OP is 24 yours old...I landed in the US at that age and didn't even have enough money for a plane ticket home...still don't.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Yes, go ahead and assume you are correct. I have a feeling you do that lot.

Get a grip, the OP is 24 yours old...I landed in the US at that age and didn't even have enough money for a plane ticket home...still don't.

I'm wondering why you think being snarky to me while informing me that you've not been financially successful here in the good old USA is a win.

I figured out quite some time ago that you don't agree with me on most topics.

I don't care. You've a right to your opinion.

I don't plan to wander the boards thumbing my nose at you every time I disagree with your POV.

It'd be decent of you to extend me the same courtesy.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
How come when I say that, I get called little Miss Sunshine?!!

I agree. Poster comes on to ask a question and the first thing anyone says is "do a search", next thing is "get a job".

I remember when I was a newbie to this forum. I wanted answers. I did not want to go back through thousands of threads to read outdated information. If someone doesn't want to answer, don't answer or NICELY explain about the search features.

So much for the "Welcome Wagon", as Mike stated!

Vicki
I'm sorry about the wagon. It's got shoddy wheels and the economy won't allow us to hire a repairman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary