Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:01 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,547 times

Advertisements

Our backyard has been overrun with huge fleas. I've never seen fleas this big. I have 2 dogs, and can only use Frontline on one of them because the other one is sensitive to it. It makes him violently ill. Over the weekend, my kids even had fleas on their socks. Any suggestions for ridding my back yard of the fleas? I don't want them inside. I can imagine that's a nightmare. I've seen sprays at Home Depot, but does anyone have experience with them or should I call a local professional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 07:51 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times
I use the granules to control fleas, ticks, ants, etc. You just dump them in your lawn spreader, use the recommended setting and go.

This year I tried the spray bottle (that goes on the end of the hose) but I don't care for it becuase I don't know for certainty the rate of flow. At least with the spreader I can adjust the settings and see where I've dropped the granules.

I started it last year and I think in the last two years we've only found one tick on my dog.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
Our backyard has been overrun with huge fleas. I've never seen fleas this big. I have 2 dogs, and can only use Frontline on one of them because the other one is sensitive to it. It makes him violently ill. Over the weekend, my kids even had fleas on their socks. Any suggestions for ridding my back yard of the fleas? I don't want them inside. I can imagine that's a nightmare. I've seen sprays at Home Depot, but does anyone have experience with them or should I call a local professional?
I would call your local agricultural extension office. They probably can recommend something that will kill the fleas and they can advise you on your pets & kids. You may have to keep the kiddos (2 & 4 legged) out of the yard for a while.

My granny always said her Mrytle Bushes kept fleas away. But she had chickens so it's hard to tell if it was the smell of the bushes or the fact that the fleas ended up as lunch.

Good luck.

Last edited by PDXmom; 06-01-2011 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-01-2011, 08:51 AM

116 posts, read 366,830 times
For the dog that gets sick on flea treatments. You might try Sentinel (it is a worm and flea pill combined). One of my dogs is very sensitive to topical treatments but had no problems with this pill.

(but it is wicked expensive.)

Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,531 times
I'd say go to a farm supply/feed store. They'll be able to give you something to spray in your yard and kill fleas.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,963 times
Have you tried the Capstar flea pills? My cat's skin looked burnt when I put topical flea stuff on her once, so now I do capstar. Not cheap but effective.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:53 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,792 times
Not sure about the yard problem, but I agree with a pill for flea control. We've started using Comfortis with the three dogs this year with HUGE success! It's like Capstar, but lasts an entire month, killing adults, eggs, etc. Love it.

Of course, it doesn't handle ticks or anything else, but it's worth it (to me) for the flea control.

For my indoor cat I use Revolution year round. Topcial, but it's never caused any irritation at all. He does object to the alcohol smell on initial application though.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:41 PM

248 posts, read 754,474 times
when I brought my house 3 years ago the yard was over run with fleas i had to get a landscper buddy to use some strong stuff to get rid of them. It is one of thet few yard activities I would leave to a pro but the stuff works and we haven't notice any change in any other wildlife (birds, squirell, deer, etc.)

Old 06-03-2011, 08:41 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Ortho max bug be gone kills fleas, for $13 I would put that on first.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:08 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiledog View Post
For the dog that gets sick on flea treatments. You might try Sentinel (it is a worm and flea pill combined). One of my dogs is very sensitive to topical treatments but had no problems with this pill.

(but it is wicked expensive.)
Yeah, $111 at the vet! I have an inside dog who only goes out for daily walks and she has picked them up, we cannot get them off her despite numerous treatments. We are giving Sentinel a try. If this works I'll be shopping around for a cheaper supply of the stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary