Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,408 times

Advertisements

On labor and benefits Fedex spends 36%, UPS spends 51%, and USPS spends 83% (figures approx - I will try to find the article I got this from).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysk8 View Post
As a postal customer, let me set you straight.

(How is it that UPS (UPS) and FedEx (FDX) can run profitable, successful delivery services while the U.S. Postal Service blunders its way into insolvency?)

1. Its union is too strong. The USPS cannot lay off employees due to union contracts. And in the next four years, union members will get a 3.5% raise and seven (yes, seven) uncapped cost-of-living increases. That's a shocking commitment.

2. It spends too much on salaries and benefits. About 80% of its budget goes to salaries and benefits, writes BusinessWeek's Devin Leonard. Can you even imagine that? Compare that with the 43% spent at FedEx and the 61% spent by UPS.

3. It hasn't raised prices enough. It costs the same to mail a letter to your neighbor as it does to deliver it by snowmobile to the Alaska wilderness. (Yes, the USPS actually does that.) The Postal Service should charge higher prices for longer travel distances.

4. It relies too much on junk and first-class mail. Total mail volume fell 20% from 2006 to 2010. The USPS relies too much on first-class mail for money, and when mail volume falls, its revenue falls as well.

5. It has too many post offices. Most of the post offices around the country lose money. What if the USPS took a page from Starbucks (SBUX) playbook and opened mini post offices at supermarkets, gas stations and retailers like Target (TGT)? Still convenient but with lower overhead. Even better: Nonunion workers can staff those offices, Leonard writes.

6. It hasn't embraced the Internet. Email has been a killer. But maybe the USPS has taken the wrong approach to the Internet. In other countries, Leonard reports, postal services let people pay bills online and even scan mail and send it to customers online.

In Sweden, people can take pictures on their phones and turn them into postcards. People can use their phones to send letters without stamps.

The USPS is incapable of owning up to its problems. And the revenue picture is just getting worse. The service predicts total mail volume will fall from 171 billion pieces a year now to as little as 118 billion by 2020, Leonard reports.

So far, the postmaster general wants to stop delivery on two days a week instead of just one. And he thinks that attrition will shave 20% off of the USPS workforce over five years. That's not going to be enough to stop the bleeding. The USPS needs to change dramatically, and that doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.

The U.S. Postal Service Nears Collapse - BusinessWeek
Well, for most instances, nobody forces you to use USPS so you're free to send things using other carriers. Maybe just me, but UPS/Fedex has never delivered anything for me for less than a buck.
So I kinda like choices between physical service providers and electronic methods (i.e I'll efile a Fed tax return since its "free" in TT, but print and mail a State return to save the money). What role do you propose the USPS plays in an efile/electronic bill pay (#6) ?
Surely USPS needs to change their model, but ...

Frank

Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
I thought this thread was about closing a couple of Post Offices in Raleigh, not the merits of the entire postal system.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:58 AM

513 posts, read 1,605,169 times
all post office locations will eventually be in gas stations. much cheaper than operating a dedicated walk in facility. fedex and ups figured this out long ago.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
As a postal customer, let me set you straight.

(How is it that UPS (UPS) and FedEx (FDX) can run profitable, successful delivery services while the U.S. Postal Service blunders its way into insolvency?)

1. Its union is too strong. The USPS cannot lay off employees due to union contracts. And in the next four years, union members will get a 3.5% raise and seven (yes, seven) uncapped cost-of-living increases. That's a shocking commitment.

2. It spends too much on salaries and benefits. About 80% of its budget goes to salaries and benefits, writes BusinessWeek's Devin Leonard. Can you even imagine that? Compare that with the 43% spent at FedEx and the 61% spent by UPS.

3. It hasn't raised prices enough. It costs the same to mail a letter to your neighbor as it does to deliver it by snowmobile to the Alaska wilderness. (Yes, the USPS actually does that.) The Postal Service should charge higher prices for longer travel distances.

4. It relies too much on junk and first-class mail. Total mail volume fell 20% from 2006 to 2010. The USPS relies too much on first-class mail for money, and when mail volume falls, its revenue falls as well.

5. It has too many post offices. Most of the post offices around the country lose money. What if the USPS took a page from Starbucks (SBUX) playbook and opened mini post offices at supermarkets, gas stations and retailers like Target (TGT)? Still convenient but with lower overhead. Even better: Nonunion workers can staff those offices, Leonard writes.

6. It hasn't embraced the Internet. Email has been a killer. But maybe the USPS has taken the wrong approach to the Internet. In other countries, Leonard reports, postal services let people pay bills online and even scan mail and send it to customers online.

In Sweden, people can take pictures on their phones and turn them into postcards. People can use their phones to send letters without stamps.

The USPS is incapable of owning up to its problems. And the revenue picture is just getting worse. The service predicts total mail volume will fall from 171 billion pieces a year now to as little as 118 billion by 2020, Leonard reports.

So far, the postmaster general wants to stop delivery on two days a week instead of just one. And he thinks that attrition will shave 20% off of the USPS workforce over five years. That's not going to be enough to stop the bleeding. The USPS needs to change dramatically, and that doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.

The U.S. Postal Service Nears Collapse - BusinessWeek
Congress won't let USPS make many changes.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:06 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,053 times
In our small post office in MD they had an automated kiosk that was open 24/7 and could be used to mail small packages, to buy stamps, etc. It was very convenient. I haven't seen any of those kiosks in Raleigh, not sure why...

I wouldn't mind if my mail was delivered once a week. If they could throw most of it diectly into a recycling bin - even better.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:54 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
In our small post office in MD they had an automated kiosk that was open 24/7 and could be used to mail small packages, to buy stamps, etc. It was very convenient. I haven't seen any of those kiosks in Raleigh, not sure why...

I wouldn't mind if my mail was delivered once a week. If they could throw most of it diectly into a recycling bin - even better.
We have a few Automated Postal Centers.

Two near me are:

Brentwood Station (Brentwood near Capital)
North Ridge Station (Falls near Strickland)

Old 06-03-2011, 06:24 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,694 times
I like my Netflix. Until they stream their entire catalog over the internet, I would still like my Saturday delivery. Other than that I barely use the mail for anything.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
In Sweden, people can take pictures on their phones and turn them into postcards.
In the U.S. too.

Postcardly

Old 06-03-2011, 08:36 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,572 times
I hate the going to the post office. The arrogance kills me and for God sakes I WILL NOT SIGN MY DEBIT CARD which they force me to every time I use it, which I in turn use a pen that has no ink on it... which, oddly, they accept (idiots).

So, with that said, I still use the USPS on occasion to mail bills and packages to our kids living in FL. I drive to a "contractor" Post Office in the Hallmark off Falls of the Neuse Rd. Hallmark employees are very nice and offer every single thing the Post Offices do plus a smile and good attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary