Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:17 PM

84 posts, read 142,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderGirl View Post
Define "healthcare". I am a nurse manager and I can tell you that positions for nurses, CMAs, and CNAs are not plentiful here. I came from a state that had such a nursing shortage that I could walk into any hospital and get hired within an hour. I've talked with nurses here in the triangle who have been searching for 7 months and longer with no luck. And these are experienced nurses, not new grads.

~Amy
Amy, I was referring to OT/PT and speaking to the long term trends in healthcare compared to other industries. However, it sounds like nursing jobs in the RDU area are stagnant for now; I defer to your experience. With the recent passage of Obamacare and the retirement of Baby Boomers, I would bet on positive growth in healthcare jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 06:26 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Ahhh. Well, that explains it.
totally tried to rep you but i can't until i spread the reps around!

that does explain it. i'm not a fan of for-profit colleges & frankly it seems that it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for online colleges to somehow offer more higher ed jobs here in the triangle than elsewhere?

ETA - csbjornstad, i see that you are just about to move to the triangle area. perhaps you could share what info you think shows that higher ed jobs are more available in the triangle area? this area is the top or one o the top areas for PhDs & it is an area where people are very well-educated combined with dwindling job opportunities due to the economy & all the relocations here. if you have info indicating that the triangle area is somehow better suited for higher ed jobs than elsewhere, i'd love to see it. i could use all the help we could get in order to consider if we stay or if we go!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post

that does explain it. i'm not a fan of for-profit colleges & frankly it seems that it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for online colleges to somehow offer more higher ed jobs here in the triangle than elsewhere?

ETA - csbjornstad, i see that you are just about to move to the triangle area. perhaps you could share what info you think shows that higher ed jobs are more available in the triangle area? this area is the top or one o the top areas for PhDs & it is an area where people are very well-educated combined with dwindling job opportunities due to the economy & all the relocations here. if you have info indicating that the triangle area is somehow better suited for higher ed jobs than elsewhere, i'd love to see it. i could use all the help we could get in order to consider if we stay or if we go!
Yeah. I can't rep you again yet, either.

For-profit diploma mills are a joke around here. One would fare far better skipping college entirely and going the self-taught and/or apprentice route.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post

I am relatively new to the Forum...what does ETA mean? Rep?

For profit colleges include both on ground campuses and the on-line modality. In my original thread, I was referring to on ground campuses. I should have been more specific.

I have been working in this industry for about 7 years and I have met a lot of people who were skeptical about non-traditional colleges. Yet, most people are clueless about how the industry operates and that it serves a group of students who are denied access to the more traditional higher ed institutions. I suggest that many overlook this industry in their search for a job because they perceive that for-profit colleges are inferior to traditional colleges. Yes, there are a few bad apples in the industry, but there are many traditional colleges that engage in sketchy practices and do not produce quality education. I only ask that you check out the industry before you disparage it.

To provide a little evidence of the job opportunities in the area I went to Higheredjobs.com and searched the areas of Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, and Greenville and found 50 jobs posted within the last month. Here is the link if you want to take a look. I recognized that Greensboro and Greenville are about an hour outside of the RDU area, but in this economy I would be willing to drive an hour for a job.

I appreciate the dialouge and hope for positive job growth in all sectors for 2011 and 2012.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbjornstad View Post
The Proprietary sector would include such colleges as ITT, the Art Institutes, DeVry, University of Phoenix, etc. These colleges are less susceptible to state budgets. I along with everyone else in this economy are not assured about much. Yet, over the years I have seen a lot of growth in these colleges versus a downward trend in state schools.
The "proprietary sector" excels at separating students and their families from their wallets, and in leaving taxpayers with high student loan default rates. The DOJ just joined a whistle-blower suit against Education Mgmt, which runs the Art Institute and other schools in may cities, including Durham.

Quote:
The lawsuit alleges that Pittsburgh-based Education Management illegally paid recruiters based on the number of students they enrolled, the company said in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing Monday. The government, in most cases, forbids such incentive compensation for colleges accepting federal aid because of concern the practice will encourage companies to enroll unqualified students.
I find the growth of these institutions appalling and hope we see students wising up and putting these businesses OUT of business. And I say this as someone who spends their day working in an office complex where an "admissions counselor" gives tours to naive students and their families day in and day out.

Students would be far better going to a state univ. or a community college, not the UofP's and the like.

[Disclaimer: speaking for myself, not my employer or anyone else.]

Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I can't rep you again yet, either.

For-profit diploma mills are a joke around here. One would fare far better skipping college entirely and going the self-taught and/or apprentice route.
For-profit colleges and diploma mills are not synonymous with one another. If they were, then logic follows that we could also group together all traditional colleges and universities as fradulent because some have violated NCAA recruiting rules (e.g. USC and now the Ohio State); a false syllogism if there ever was one.

Also, evidence shows that adults with degrees fair better than those with high-school diplomas (check out this Harvard Project). Let's not cite Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg as examples, as these and other prodigies are outliers and not representative of our graduate population.

Please reconsider your viewpoint and recognize how important it is for our society to provide alternative pathways to higher education.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
For-profit colleges and diploma mills are not synonymous with one another. If they were, then logic follows that we could also group together all traditional colleges and universities as fradulent because some have violated NCAA recruiting rules (e.g. USC and now the Ohio State); a false syllogism if there ever was one.

Also, evidence shows that adults with degrees fair better than those with high-school diplomas (check out this Harvard Project). Let's not cite Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg as examples, as these and other prodigies are outliers and not representative of our graduate population.

Please reconsider your viewpoint and recognize how important it is for our society to provide alternative pathways to higher education.
Why?

I mean it. Why?

We have 4-year colleges. We have 2-year colleges. We have community colleges.

Why do we need more places that want entirely more money than the degree they are giving out will ever be worth?

I know too many people who are quite successful with NO degree. In fact, many of them make more than I do with a Master's degree (and I don't make peanuts, believe me).

It's not like the whole population will go stupid if University of Phoenix or Strayer go under.

Please.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Why?

I mean it. Why?

We have 4-year colleges. We have 2-year colleges. We have community colleges.

Why do we need more places that want entirely more money than the degree they are giving out will ever be worth?

I know too many people who are quite successful with NO degree. In fact, many of them make more than I do with a Master's degree (and I don't make peanuts, believe me).

It's not like the whole population will go stupid if University of Phoenix or Strayer go under.

Please.
We live in a land of opportunity and to deny a student access to higher education because of a limited number of institutions and state funds is detrimental to the future of our country.

State universities and colleges are a dying breed...we need to be more institutions that train our population to comete on the world stage. There will always be a place for Universities to train researchers, lawyers, doctors, and teachers. But that is small percentage of our workforce.

Lastly, yes the population would go stupid if we relied only on state funded colleges or private universities to educate our workforce. The dispartiy between the literate and illerate would be widen. After all, We can't rely upon our high schools to provide the skills needed to be successful in the world. The more people in our society who can think critically, interact with others in a pro-social way, and read/write the better off our society will become.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
The "proprietary sector" excels at separating students and their families from their wallets, and in leaving taxpayers with high student loan default rates. The DOJ just joined a whistle-blower suit against Education Mgmt, which runs the Art Institute and other schools in may cities, including Durham.

I find the growth of these institutions appalling and hope we see students wising up and putting these businesses OUT of business. And I say this as someone who spends their day working in an office complex where an "admissions counselor" gives tours to naive students and their families day in and day out.

Students would be far better going to a state univ. or a community college, not the UofP's and the like.

[Disclaimer: speaking for myself, not my employer or anyone else.]
I agree that the proprietary sector struggles with higher default rates and that they need to work on decreasing the rate. Yet, we shouldn't clump them altogether. Rein in the bad apples and close them down...yes!

All colleges and universities are guilty of tuition inflation...separating students and their families from their wallets as you put it. At least there is a good chance the students coming out of the career oriented colleges will find a job if they want one. Those coming out of the traditional universities and colleges with a bachelor degree in psychology or English let's say, rarely find jobs related to their degree.

In consideration of the DOJ investigation. We live in a country where we are innocent until proven guilty. Just because the DOJ is putting together an investigation doesn't mean that the campus guilty. As you may know, there are a lot of politics involved in scrutinizing the for-profit sector. Last year, the GAO discovered that a report used as the primary evidence in one of the senate hearings against for-profit industry was rampant with inconsistencies. Yet, the senators used it anyways and did not apologize for it. Also, the more traditional universities and colleges are lobbying against the for-profits with their own political agenda. Politics...Politics...Politics!!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
We live in a land of opportunity and to deny a student access to higher education because of a limited number of institutions and state funds is detrimental to the future of our country.

State universities and colleges are a dying breed...we need to be more institutions that train our population to comete on the world stage. There will always be a place for Universities to train researchers, lawyers, doctors, and teachers. But that is small percentage of our workforce.

Lastly, yes the population would go stupid if we relied only on state funded colleges or private universities to educate our workforce. The dispartiy between the literate and illerate would be widen. After all, We can't rely upon our high schools to provide the skills needed to be successful in the world. The more people in our society who can think critically, interact with others in a pro-social way, and read/write the better off our society will become.
I'll be straight with you.

I have no beef with my plumber opening up a local plumbing academy.

Same goes for a local culinary school run by a prominent chef from the area.

I *do* have a problem with schools that exist solely to get rich off the hopes and dreams of poor people.

And THAT is what the Strayers of this country do.

If my kid wanted to plumb? I'd send him to Wake Tech.

It's affordable and he'd learn all he needed to get started. Without going broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary