Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:49 AM

12 posts, read 10,543 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are relocating up to the R/D area after our wedding in December. We are coming from Florida...that being said, the reason we are heading up that way is for a better sense of community, change of seasons, dog-friendly, good people...you name it. Neither one of us has family up there but we are looking to start our own.

My fiance is a professional musician and I am an attorney. We are looking for a place that really allows us to enjoy our careers without a horrid commute. He usually plays in venues down here every night of the week so somewhere that has a good music scene would be nice.

We are both very outdoor-loving people. We love our kayaks and our dogs being outside and accepted outside is really important as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Last edited by AngelaHolt; 06-02-2011 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
Do you know where you will be working?

Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill each have pretty decent music scenes with multiple venues. There are plenty of outdoor activities that are easy to reach from pretty much any of the cities and towns in the area.

What sort of area are you specifically looking for? Walking distance to restaurants and shops, or more of a quiet suburban setting? Will you be renting, buying? House, townhouse, apartment?

There are many options, so let us know what you are looking for so we can offer good suggestions.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 AM

No, I don't know where I will be working. Most of what I can find I won't be able to take until after I take the bar...but that's the same in any city I end up at. Likely it will be a larger firm in a city-area.

I could see us living in a more quiet area with more outdoor space for our home and then driving to the shopping/rest. areas.

Right now we are going to rent and sign a lease for about a year or so so that we can get comfortable with the area before we buy. We are looking to rent a home with at least two bedrooms and pay anywhere below 1200 a month in rent.

hope this helps! And thanks for the response!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaHolt View Post
No, I don't know where I will be working. Most of what I can find I won't be able to take until after I take the bar...but that's the same in any city I end up at. Likely it will be a larger firm in a city-area.

I could see us living in a more quiet area with more outdoor space for our home and then driving to the shopping/rest. areas.

Right now we are going to rent and sign a lease for about a year or so so that we can get comfortable with the area before we buy. We are looking to rent a home with at least two bedrooms and pay anywhere below 1200 a month in rent.

hope this helps! And thanks for the response!
I assume you'll have a large deposit for a lease, being a lawyer.

It's tough to rent without a job.

That said, there are outdoor recreational opportunities aplenty. Will your fiancé want to be closer to music venues?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 AM

Neither one of us want a large commute but we will take what we can get. I think what is most important is both of us being comfortable with where we are spending our home time.

We are rather liberal....and really do not want to end up anywhere too stuffy. We mostly keep to ourselves and enjoy the outdoors as often as we can.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:05 AM

106 posts, read 319,462 times
North Raleigh gives you open space and dog and water friendly activities. With the Falls River right up Six Forks, you can go boating or kayaking any time. Some of the neighborhoods even had water available. We are in Cross Gate, just off of Durant Road, and we have a couple of ponds/lakes that folks kayak on. Wonderful dog community, community pools and tennis, and five mins to 540, which gets you anywhere quickly.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaHolt View Post
Neither one of us want a large commute but we will take what we can get. I think what is most important is both of us being comfortable with where we are spending our home time.

We are rather liberal....and really do not want to end up anywhere too stuffy. We mostly keep to ourselves and enjoy the outdoors as often as we can.
Maybe Hillsborough or Carrboro would be good places to start. Your budget would go further in Hillsborough.

You could also try some of the ITB (inside the Beltline) areas. Plenty of older (quaint) houses and mature trees.

I know quite a few lawyers AND musicians who live over that way.

It's not rural, but hardly "city."

Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,280 times
What kind of music does your fiancé play --- I know, no musicians actually like to classify their music, but is he starting a band, or is he playing solo? Is it original material or mostly covers? What instrument(s)? I don't think he'll have trouble finding places to play around here no matter what style it is, but he'll likely play all around the triangle anyway (so the city you live in might not matter much for that). I see local bands all over the triangle and one night the same band will be playing a venue in Raleigh and the next night in Durham, and the next night in Chapel Hill (or Carrboro, or Pittsboro, or Saxapahaw, or Hillsborough, etc.)

Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Yes, you are right, he hates to classify himself. LOL. But I'll do it for him. He's mostly blues, country, rock- style kind of guy. He does both down here, solo and a band that is. I think he'll look to work with a band at some point when he gets settled but he'll likely do solo's right off the bat.

He does a lot of covers and has a lot of his own stuff as well. He plays acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, and does vocals. He's a damn good guitar player that's for sure so I doubt he'll have any trouble finding a space for himself there.

I think you are right...the city probably doesnt really matter all that much because, just like down here, he plays all over the place and will do that up there i'm sure.

I guess what matters the most is what we are comfortable with. We are both in our late 20's and not TOO far off from a family...although this is not our prime concern yet..it will be when we look to buy.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardita View Post
North Raleigh gives you open space and dog and water friendly activities. With the Falls River right up Six Forks, you can go boating or kayaking any time. Some of the neighborhoods even had water available. We are in Cross Gate, just off of Durant Road, and we have a couple of ponds/lakes that folks kayak on. Wonderful dog community, community pools and tennis, and five mins to 540, which gets you anywhere quickly.

This seems pretty ideal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary