Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,014 times

Advertisements

Any of you who regularly travel Falls of Neuse know the widening effort is in full swing. The new bridge is looking nice, the roads are beginning to get paved (and widened in existing sections), cleared, etc.

But my question is - what's up with the power lines? It appears that they're erecting new poles. My hope is that those are temporary and that the long term plan is to bury those wires underground for the final product. Please, someone tell me we aren't stuck with nasty above-ground electrical poles and wires when this road is complete!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Any of you who regularly travel Falls of Neuse know the widening effort is in full swing. The new bridge is looking nice, the roads are beginning to get paved (and widened in existing sections), cleared, etc.

But my question is - what's up with the power lines? It appears that they're erecting new poles. My hope is that those are temporary and that the long term plan is to bury those wires underground for the final product. Please, someone tell me we aren't stuck with nasty above-ground electrical poles and wires when this road is complete!?
I have no clue... I've not been over there lately.

But... if I had to guess it based on PE's latest trends? They're not gonna bury them.

I hate ugly power lines, too.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I have no clue... I've not been over there lately.

But... if I had to guess it based on PE's latest trends? They're not gonna bury them.

I hate ugly power lines, too.
The latest trend is to uglify our tree-lined brand new road? Yuck.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
The latest trend is to uglify our tree-lined brand new road? Yuck.
Yeah... they do weird stuff like that.

I hate it.

I wish all our lines were buried. It'd be so much prettier.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yeah... they do weird stuff like that.

I hate it.

I wish all our lines were buried. It'd be so much prettier.
Methinks cheaper, too, at least in the long run. And even in the short run. WTH, Raleigh?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Methinks cheaper, too, at least in the long run. And even in the short run. WTH, Raleigh?
City of Oaks... and power lines.

Nah. That slogan will never catch on.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,173 times
Cheaper to install. More expensive when a hurricane hits.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
Cheaper to install. More expensive when a hurricane hits.
And you know they never think ahead.

Hurricane hits and people are without power for a week.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:09 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
I agree that power lines should be buried.

However, the other side of the story is that buried power lines are much harder to troubleshoot and repair when they fail. For example, say a bunch of trees fall in a given neighborhood, and one of the root systems takes out a buried line. It is not immediately obvious where the fault is (although it can certainly be found), unlike with an above-ground system.

Again, I agree that above-ground power lines are a real eyesore, and probably a lot less reliable, and that the utilities should be required to bury the things.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:36 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Again, I agree that above-ground power lines are a real eyesore, and probably a lot less reliable, and that the utilities should be required to bury the things.
Everyone wants to have buried power lines, but no one wants the increase in their monthly bills that may be required to pay for it. A lot of utilities still operate as "rate of return", so the more the utility spends to operate/maintain the grid, the more the end user will pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary