Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Good question...I can't figure out their site. All I know is that I've got a '99 Corolla and a '00 Mountaineer, and I pay $33 per year for registration on each of them.

As noted by others, it's one or the other depending on what your car needs.

There's no actual sticker provided for either registration or the municipal "decal" fee. Registration is handled electronically, and the decal fee is simply a tax surcharge that varies by municipality. Most cities and towns in Wake County charge $5-$15 for the fee, although Raleigh now charges $30.

Emissions testing is only required for 1995 and newer cars. On top of that, cars 35 years and older are exempt from both inspection and emissions testing.
Correct concerning emissions testing. Might be worth noting that "emissions" testing is really a check of the OBD-2 computer system. The tail pipe sniffer test was done away with a few years ago. Since the vast majority of cars switched from OBD-1 to OBD-2 in 1996 that drives the cutoff date for "emissions" testing. I've actually seen a few discounts ($5 off) on the emission/safety tests.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 06:07 AM

166 posts, read 419,068 times
OK, I'm finally living in Cary as of Dec 31 2011.

So far, I've gone to the DMV and went through the process to get a NC driver's license. It took about 30 minutes total and cost $32. I should be getting my new license in the mail shortly.

I switched over my car insurance (GEICO) from NJ to NC and the price dropped from over $1000 a year to a little over $400 a year.

I'm not sure what's the next step. Do I need to inspect my car first, or get the registration first? The DMV site isn't totally clear on this.

This whole process really needs a flowchart.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,415 times
The site seems pretty straightforward. It says that if you are moving here from out of state you don't need the inspection to register your car initially, but will for the following annual inspections.

NCDOT: New to NC or Moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary