Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 06:30 PM

17 posts, read 17,591 times

Advertisements

Hi All:
I was hoping that somebody out there has experience with Resurrection Lutheran School in Cary or Thales Academy in Apex. I have a rising 6th grader and am looking for information on the middle school programs. I realize that Thales method of teaching is direct instruction for the elementary level. I Am looking more for information on the overall "feel" of the school, culture (abilities, cliques, parent involvement - too much, too little), school climate (positive, helpful, walking on eggshells) willingness of administration/teachers to work with students of different learning styles.
They all paint a pretty picture when you visit but I am wondering if they actually are that "pretty!" Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:52 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,444 times
Thales is as you point out based on the "direct" method which was developed for children with learning difficulties. Strikes me these days this chain of schools is using this parrot-teaching technique to impress pushy parents who can't afford a good private school but don't want to be seen sending their kids to - god forbid - public.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,319 times
Searchmeister - Our family has had good experiences with both schools, I would be happy to provide more info if you are interested.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:43 PM

17 posts, read 17,591 times
Uh, Ma91 - perhaps you should check your facts about that "parrot technique" ---

Old 01-28-2012, 11:19 AM

374 posts, read 1,598,606 times
its so interesting that people post about a subject they clearly have no knowledge of in order to pretend that they are helping you with your original question. (MA91pmh). Direct Instruction is not a "parrot technique"

Old 01-30-2012, 05:59 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
My daughter dances with a child who goes to RLS and whose mom is a teacher there. When I talked to the mom she said she really loves it. They thought about moving their daughter in middle school to a public school b/c RLS is sooo small...but decided against it and stayed at RLS and are glad of it. That may not really help you since I have no direct experience there, but the mom I talked to teaches 4th grade there and they really like it.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 AM

323 posts, read 634,004 times
I commented on Thales above in another thread. Terrible front office who didn't call us back for weeks sometimes. Lame communication. Robotic atmosphere. Exterior of school looks like a prison. And this "direct instruction" does not allow a child to think it out. If you want your kids to learn how to think, this is a big NO. If you want them to be TOLD what to think, then yes.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,832 times
Default explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
I commented on Thales above in another thread. Terrible front office who didn't call us back for weeks sometimes. Lame communication. Robotic atmosphere. Exterior of school looks like a prison. And this "direct instruction" does not allow a child to think it out. If you want your kids to learn how to think, this is a big NO. If you want them to be TOLD what to think, then yes.
Also looking at Thales and I guess unless you can sit through an entire class then you only see 5 minutes worth of direct instruction.

what I saw was chanting or "saying it with me" style with the teacher and students.
Is it that the entire class time is like this?
Are there no ? and answers from students?
Even after taking a tour I cant get a feel of direct instruction.
a friend of a friend went there and said it was OK

The tours I dont think are as informative as others, you need to ask alot of questions.
And they told me that they were thinking of going to a year round calendar...

Old 02-26-2012, 01:24 PM

182 posts, read 386,452 times
I have three close neighbors whose young children attend Thales. Very nice families. Well behaved kids. They regularly socialze with other school families. Seems to be a very tight knit group based around the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary