Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,473,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I lived in the suburbs of NJ for a brief period and a small 1 bedroom apartment in an old house there was over $1000, IIRC my rent was $1100/month for under 500 sq ft. That was circa 2003. 5 years later I bought a 3 year old 2000 sq ft house w/ 2 car garage for less than that per month. You really can't point at salaries in the NE or elsewhere and assume you are getting screwed when getting paid less.

Raleigh has large medical education facilities, I know my doctors office has very few patients compared to the one I went to in Virginia Beach. My guess is people don't really move from the area, making for a large supply of available talent.
I agree. People keep forgetting that other areas of the country will be more expensive to live in than NC, so of course the pay will "seem" higher. To me, $40-$60k should be enough for a nurse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 09:58 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
I agree. People keep forgetting that other areas of the country will be more expensive to live in than NC, so of course the pay will "seem" higher. To me, $40-$60k should be enough for a nurse.

Yeah... I reckon it depends on the type of nurse. If you were a nurse in a doc's office, or a floor nurse at a hospital (as opposed to surg nurse or ER nurse), that seems reasonable.

And, as you say, the COL is a bit lower here.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:12 PM

441 posts, read 1,289,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRN View Post
Wow, thanks dchz1, it's good to know ealth insurance needs Rn. too. I heard there are lots of other opportunities for RN out side of hospital settings, but I just don't know what or where. Could you tell me where or how i can find more info on that or how do i know if there are openings? Thank you very much.

Blue Cross of NC
American Healthways
Home Health Care
Nursing Homes

Some of these places above are health management companies with zero hands on - telephonic nursing. Take the Wake Med job and once you learn the lay of the land you can move around - that's what my wife did, it's money in the bank for now.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:17 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,400,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
And who are you to decide that 40-60K "should be enough for a nurse". Patients admitted to the hospital today are acutely ill. Today's nurses need astute assessment skills as well as a vast knowledge in anatomy, physiology and pharmacology in order to be able to provide quality care. Nurses cover the hospital setting 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. They usually work every other weekend and every other holiday. I cannot begin to tell you how many Christmases and Thanksgivings I missed with my family. They assist both patients and families in dealing with patient education, emergencies, life altering illnesses as well as death. Nurses are responsible for critically ill patients and may be the determining factor in whether that patient survives. Nurses are the backbone of a hospital and deserve to be paid accordingly. Nursing salaries in the Triangle are incredibly low.
>
>
> Getting off my soapbox now.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:51 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,126,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
And who are you to decide that 40-60K "should be enough for a nurse". Patients admitted to the hospital today are acutely ill. Today's nurses need astute assessment skills as well as a vast knowledge in anatomy, physiology and pharmacology in order to be able to provide quality care. Nurses cover the hospital setting 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. They usually work every other weekend and every other holiday. I cannot begin to tell you how many Christmases and Thanksgivings I missed with my family. They assist both patients and families in dealing with patient education, emergencies, life altering illnesses as well as death. Nurses are responsible for critically ill patients and may be the determining factor in whether that patient survives. Nurses are the backbone of a hospital and deserve to be paid accordingly. Nursing salaries in the Triangle are incredibly low.
>
>
> Getting off my soapbox now.
Low salaries in many common fields are prevalent here.

Try teaching or law enforcement/corrections for examples.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:57 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,381,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Low salaries in many common fields are prevalent here.

Try teaching or law enforcement/corrections for examples.
Low by comparison to the NE, or Long Island, maybe. In my neighborhood there are at least 5 cops off the top of my head, and it's a pretty small neighborhood. Houses aren't fancy, most here in their McMansions with 4000 sq ft would scoff, but it's a good middle class neighborhood IMO. The reality is you don't need to make anywhere near what you need to make up north to have a middle class lifestyle.

If the wages didn't attract the right people, or enough, they would change, but that is the market at work. Either live with it, and enjoy the SE US, or go back up to Long Island, make your $80k, and pay $500,000 for a townhome in the ghetto!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Low by comparison to the NE, or Long Island, maybe. In my neighborhood there are at least 5 cops off the top of my head, and it's a pretty small neighborhood. Houses aren't fancy, most here in their McMansions with 4000 sq ft would scoff, but it's a good middle class neighborhood IMO. The reality is you don't need to make anywhere near what you need to make up north to have a middle class lifestyle.

If the wages didn't attract the right people, or enough, they would change, but that is the market at work. Either live with it, and enjoy the SE US, or go back up to Long Island, make your $80k, and pay $500,000 for a townhome in the ghetto!
What I think brings many of the transplants here is the semi-erotic charge they get when they see the McMansions here priced way below an older smaller residence in NY or NJ.

Now, instead of a middle class worker, they dream that they can be a country squire with a McMansion and 2 gas guzzling Suburbans in the driveway.

We lived in Manhattan years ago, but in a middle income project and had no urge to become part of the McMansion generation.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:42 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
What I think brings many of the transplants here is the semi-erotic charge they get when they see the McMansions here priced way below an older smaller residence in NY or NJ.

Now, instead of a middle class worker, they dream that they can be a country squire with a McMansion and 2 gas guzzling Suburbans in the driveway.

We lived in Manhattan years ago, but in a middle income project and had no urge to become part of the McMansion generation.
Country squire! LOL!

If only they'd buy horses and a buggy instead of the Suburbans (aka Urban Assault Vehicles... or Land Yachts, take your pick).

Old 06-09-2011, 11:17 AM

22,654 posts, read 36,662,452 times
Quote:
And yet you assume that's what everyone else wants...we moved here from Long Island last summer and did not buy a McMansion. We paid for a house here what we paid for our first house on Long Island in 1997. It's totally different markets. I still think many people don't grasp how crazy the real estate market got up there....I know people whose homes quadrupled in value during the boom years. That's a whole lotta cash to walk away with. They can do with it what they want, I guess.

We also didn't buy 2 gas guzzling Suburbans when we got here. Hmmm, now that I think about it the only person with 2 gas guzzlers in the driveway is my southern born and bred neighbor.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And yet you assume that's what everyone else wants...we moved here from Long Island last summer and did not buy a McMansion. We paid for a house here what we paid for our first house on Long Island in 1997. It's totally different markets. I still think many people don't grasp how crazy the real estate market got up there....I know people whose homes quadrupled in value during the boom years. That's a whole lotta cash to walk away with. They can do with it what they want, I guess.

We also didn't buy 2 gas guzzling Suburbans when we got here. Hmmm, now that I think about it the only person with 2 gas guzzlers in the driveway is my southern born and bred neighbor.
Didn't say all from LI are egotistical status seekers, just too many are.

In fact, I grew up in Oceanside, wife in Island Park.

Shame folks on LI didn't get tough with government on fiscal responsibility. We left in 1969 for Los Angeles, when LI was still middle class and primarily affordable.

We came to Raleigh in 1989 from New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary