Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:11 AM

258 posts, read 672,806 times

Advertisements

So I can't seem to stay out of trouble this week

i noticed this morning there is what i beleive to be a juvinile copperhead hanging out in our garden pond.

Normally i have no fear of snakes, and any non venomous i would either leave alone, or like the big black snakes i find in the chicken coop eating eggs sometimes, I relocate

However i'm not jerking around with something that bites and has poison

I looked online, but couldn't find any sources for FREE removal....

Just thought I would ask if anyone knew of someone who would come scoop it up and re-locate... snake enthusiast with proper equipment maybe?

I'm not paying a ton of money to remove a snake.. if I don't get someone to come get it then its getting a shovel through its neck. I'd rather NOT kill ANYTHING, but i have dogs and cats and kids, and the pond is right in front of my house.

thought I would ask....juviniles are more deadly than adults, and hes only going to keep growing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
kill copperheads. don't relocate them.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
we had beautiful koi ponds in Atlanta and frequently had snakes. Once we had infestation of copperheads. DH threw a shovel at one sunning on a rock and we weren't sure if he got it. Two days later we found dead snake floating in pond. After that we never saw another copperhead. Coincidence????

Old 06-08-2011, 07:46 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
The original poster doesn't even know if it is a copperhead or not! Right away, everyone's chanting "kill, kill, kill"!
The majority of times that someone says that a snake is a venomous snake they are so wrong. Most people don't know a venomous snake from a harmless/beneficial snake.
Why not take a picture of it, post it, and find out for sure before you go commit murder on the creature.
Is the tip of the tail "sulphur yellow"?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:18 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Don't grab the hoe quite yet Not uncommon at all to mistake for the Northern Water snake here...not that that's the case here at all.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 AM

258 posts, read 672,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
The original poster doesn't even know if it is a copperhead or not! Right away, everyone's chanting "kill, kill, kill"!
The majority of times that someone says that a snake is a venomous snake they are so wrong. Most people don't know a venomous snake from a harmless/beneficial snake.
Why not take a picture of it, post it, and find out for sure before you go commit murder on the creature.
Is the tip of the tail "sulphur yellow"?
I know the difference. I'm no dummy, and no "murderer" (did you not see my post on the lost dogs? I think I qualify as an animal lover)

as far as posting pics, checking for yellow tail (on a juvie copperhead) has not been possible. So far the only time I have seen him has just been the head and a little of neck. The markings look distinctly like copperhead OR the northen watersnake. without seeing the tail tip I can't be sure.

his head is small, and since he was hunkered down in the water I couldn't really see if he had a distinctive PIT shape or not. Also couldn't see well enough as he was small (about 2 ft, MAybe) to see if the eyes were round or slit pupils.

My post was not meant as an " ooh help, a snake". I just was wondering if raleigh has a wacko that comes out and catches them as a hobby, or for anti venom or whatever his reason. On animal planet you see lots of these people...coming to the rescue of the snake, not me lol

for now i will leave him/her be, hoping i can make a positive ID. If it turns out to be a harmless Northern watersnake then he/she is More than welcome to reside in the pond. However if it is poisonous it has to go...

someone also suggested snake sulfur (not here) but I do not want to chase away the benificial snakes.....

"murder" is the vary last resort.....

I'm hoping its a water snake cause that would be cool

Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Here's info from Piedmont Wildlife Center

#
I found a snake outside.

It is generally a good idea to avoid any confrontations with a snake. Overall, people are only bitten when they try to touch or harm the snake. If you see one outside the best thing you can do is to leave it alone as it will move along shortly. Many people are actually glad to see a snake nearby as they are nature’s rodent control!

#
There is a snake inside my house.

The Piedmont Wildlife Center does not perform animal removal services. Even when an animal is injured we generally don’t have enough personnel to come and retrieve an animal. First try and open up as many exits to the outside and within the snake’s view to provide an escape route for the snake. Be sure to block off paths to other areas of the house to prevent the snake from entering further. Again, try not to attempt to harass or nudge the snake as it will focus on you and not the escape routes causing it to possibly strike at you. If this is unsuccessful we recommend contacting these two humane animal removal services:
o
Triangle Wildlife Removal, Inc: (919) 661-0722
o
Critter Control: (919) 382-0651

Reptiles « Piedmont Wildlife Center

Old 06-08-2011, 10:41 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
It disturbs me to think about how many corn snakes are killed annually because some folks think they are copperheads. Even worse are those who kill black snakes, just because they are snakes.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 AM

342 posts, read 751,558 times
I had a visit from a black snake the other day. Came up on it in the back corner of the yard with the lawn tractor, swerved around it. He moved on in a few minutes. I wory a bit about our 2yr old Golden. She's got a few smaller snakes, that hang in the grass, hoping that she doesnt come up on something venomous.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 AM

77 posts, read 205,859 times
If you can get a good clear view of the head, it is easy to tell a poisonous snake in America, with one exception.

Aside from the coral snake, all poisonous snakes are Pit Vipers. This means that it will look like they have TWO "nose holes" on each side of the head.
If they don't have the pit, it isn't poisonous.

As for the coral snake, it has red, yellow and black bands. Just remember this ditty "red and black, friend of jack, red and yellow, kill a fellow". If the red bands are next to black, it isnt poisonous.
Attached Thumbnails
copperhead in the koi pond-pitviper.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary