Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:01 AM

235 posts, read 276,251 times

Advertisements

Hello ITers,

How is the IT Job market in RTP this year?
Are there any happening jobs around in Java/JEE/Mobile development.
Not that i am looking for a job change & hopefully i will be moving with my current job to NC in 2012, i would just like to know the scene in RTP.
I have 15+ years of experience. All the Java certis out there..
Last 8-9 years as tech lead/architect/manager.
I know & have been looking at indeed.com & other job sites but when i go there, i see just 2-3 top employers posting the jobs. One of them is our company anyways...
This question is just to understand the scene of the market outside my company...

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Not in IT myself, but Mr Meh is. You two seem to have pretty much the same number of years in the field, too.

From your description, he's doing something fairly similar to what you're doing. Not so much the tech lead stuff, but he used to do that years ago. More architecture/management.

I don't think the job market is HOT right now. Lots of layoffs in the larger firms. What I see mostly (I do look in his field and mine from time to time to get a lay of the land) are ads from the same few companies, and staffing firms.

Hubby gets quite a few recruiters that look him up on LinkedIn with offers to see if he's interested. He likes where he is now, but occasionally, he'll consider one, then decide not to switch companies.

It's great that your current company is willing to move you here next year. You'll make some great contacts in the area. I think things will turn around some as the economy improves.

I do know that he sees a good many programming jobs offshored. It's unfortunate, because the leads on these jobs really do need to be closer to the architects, not all the way over in (insert city name) India.

Granted, some of his long-distance team members are great... very good at their jobs... it's just that there can be much lost in the time difference plus translation, yanno?

I think you're seeing an pretty accurate picture of things here.

Have you checked Lenovo? I haven't looked recently, but I think they've got some openings. Ditto IBM (despite the layoffs, I did see some architect positions there a week or so ago). Oh.. and NetApp is hiring.

Those are the ones I know off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC2012 View Post
Hello ITers,

How is the IT Job market in RTP this year?
Not that i am looking for a job change & hopefully i will be moving with my current job to NC in 2012, i would just like to know the scene in RTP.
I have 15+ years of experience. All the Java certis out there..
Last 8-9 years as tech lead/architect/manager.
I know & have been looking at indeed.com & other job sites but when i go there, i see just 2-3 top employers posting the jobs. One of them is our company anyways...
This question is just to understand the scene of the market outside my company...

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Meh, thanks for confirming the market scene.
I was in management for few years but it did not excite me as active development does. I still end up managing few projects on & off.. but am not complaining.
I do get few offers thru Linkedin on & off. But they are in MA. I have been to Cary quite a few times for work but we (my family) are visiting in August, so that my DW knows what she is asking for..

Lets see how things go. I want to get out of MA from quite some time now.

Hope NC is the place where we end up & anchor ourselves..

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

I don't think the job market is HOT right now. Lots of layoffs in the larger firms. What I see mostly (I do look in his field and mine from time to time to get a lay of the land) are ads from the same few companies, and staffing firms.....

Old 06-09-2011, 09:19 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
You can probably write your own ticket if you are a developer (Java, J2ME, Android, etc). One of the most highly paid and in-demand programming jobs out there.

In this area we have HTC, RIM, Garmin, Nokia, and many other companies that want mobile apps developed for their company.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:30 AM

30 posts, read 177,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
You can probably write your own ticket if you are a developer (Java, J2ME, Android, etc). One of the most highly paid and in-demand programming jobs out there.

In this area we have HTC, RIM, Garmin, Nokia, and many other companies that want mobile apps developed for their company.
I know RIM has had hiring events for java devs in the past...but I've been watching HTC, have not seen any dev jobs in the triangle...Anyone have first hand knowledge of this?

Here's a link to HTC jobs page...
About HTC - Careers - Current Opportunities

Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Meh, thanks for confirming the market scene.
I was in management for few years but it did not excite me as active development does. I still end up managing few projects on & off.. but am not complaining.
I do get few offers thru Linkedin on & off. But they are in MA. I have been to Cary quite a few times for work but we (my family) are visiting in August, so that my DW knows what she is asking for..

Lets see how things go. I want to get out of MA from quite some time now.

Hope NC is the place where we end up & anchor ourselves..
My dh likes programming best of all, but it pays less than architecture, and I think he got a little tired of Java. He swears he'd take a job programming in Python... I reckon it's whatever catches his interest at the time, yanno?

Do you all have hotels, recreation plans, etc. lined up yet?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timd2010 View Post
I know RIM has had hiring events for java devs in the past...but I've been watching HTC, have not seen any dev jobs in the triangle...Anyone have first hand knowledge of this?

You are correct. The HTC office here seems to still be spooling up. . . . . staffed with the "blue sky" type of engineers for now. Haven't seen any developer jobs or testing jobs there yet.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 AM

NewUser,
Thats the reason i got out of management & back to technical side of the development life cycle 2 years ago. Good to know my decision is being vindicated. My peers were and are still skeptical of my decision but time will tell.

Quote:

As per my experience, programing gives me the most satisfaction even tho i am leading right now. It is hard to deal with global team spanning across 4 countries but am not complaining as i am still in loop of development.

Meh, i have hotel booked & is process of coming up with the plan to visit the area..

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
My dh likes programming best of all, but it pays less than architecture, and I think he got a little tired of Java. He swears he'd take a job programming in Python... I reckon it's whatever catches his interest at the time, yanno?

Do you all have hotels, recreation plans, etc. lined up yet?

Thanks for the link timd. I had an offer from RIM a year ago but i kinda ducked out after couple of interviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timd2010 View Post

Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
NewUser,
Thats the reason i got out of management & back to technical side of the development life cycle 2 years ago.
I was in the same situation (forced into management, but wanted back into development) but was not as fortunate. Have been struggling to get back into development for the last 5 years after a big layoff, but have only managed a few minor development positions that led to nowhere. Still hoping for that break while I do test automation in OO Perl.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 AM

I very well understand what you are going thru. I had very tough time getting out of management as i was handling couple of high profile projects. But my boss & me go long way. He helped me to get out. Also it helps to work for a big company as their is always someone who wants to get into management ..

Hang in there, i am sure you will get the break.

Quote:
I was in the same situation (forced into management, but wanted back into development) but was not as fortunate. Have been struggling to get back into development for the last 5 years after a big layoff, but have only managed a few minor development positions that led to nowhere. Still hoping for that break while I do test automation in OO Perl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary