Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,055 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I was offered a job at UNC Chapel Hill and am wondering about the cost of living. I have a family of three and am from Rochester NY. After searching online, some websites say Chapel Hill is 8% more expensive, while another said it's 150% more expensive. Simply looking at rental prices for apartments (until we get to know the area, then we'd want to purchase a home) and they look decent (around 1100 a month for a 2 bed, 2 bath). Wondering if anyone could offer me any assistance in trying to decide if I want to relocate. How are the schools? Cost of living in general? Things to do?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 05:53 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,188,407 times
Did UNC bring you down for a visit? it's a pretty awesome place to live. Schools in Chapel Hill are the best in the state, but real estate is expensive. See what the COL calculator says if you plug in Durham--many employees at UNC live in Durham because it's cheaper (and in my opinion even more awesome).

If I had to choose between Rochester and Chapel Hill, I'd pick Chapel Hill without batting an eyelash. You will of course miss Dinosaur BBQ, but that is a small price to pay.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:56 PM

84 posts, read 158,831 times
Do you like sports? There's plenty of college sports, 2 minor league baseball teams, and of course the Carolina Hurricanes. Please include your Sabres jerseys at your moving sale in NY though!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:48 PM

119 posts, read 393,632 times
We came from Rochacha last year & LOVE it! If you have a child, this is a great place to get out & do things with them. The CH schools are great of course. Cost of living wise, I feel it's about the same or a little cheaper. You have cheaper real estate taxes & slightly cheaper gas but have to pay a yearly property tax on your car, so some of the savings even out in the long run I think.

I also work at UNC-CH..you didn't work at HH in Rochester did you?! That would be too funny. PM me if you like!

Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,055 times
What do you think about the prices of homes in the chapel hill area- that's really what scares us! Do you find that the salaries are pretty equivalent- for example, would $x dollars per year in CH = $x dollars per year in rochester?

Too funny that you work at HH! I work for HH and SMH.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:38 AM

222 posts, read 545,024 times
The cost of real estate in Chapel Hill is definitely higher than in Rochester, but the taxes are less. I know the Rochester area has some of the best schools in the country, and you will find Chapel Hill schools to be right up there with them. Many who find Chapel Hill too expensive choose to live in Durham, which is much more affordable. The commute from SW Durham to Chapel Hill is easy. The schools don't have as good of a reputation overall as the Chapel Hill schools, but you will find some great schools here as well.

My husband grew up outside of Buffalo, and his parents were living in Pittsford in recent years until they made the big move down about a year and a half ago. Everyone has been happy here. There are things they always miss about Western NY, but we go up there for a week every year in the summer, and that's enough to get their fix (except for Wegmans, which they never stop missing!!) In the winter, they enjoy comparing weather reports with their family and friends up there!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 AM

119 posts, read 393,632 times
As a nurse, I left HH @ about $25/hr, coming here if I hadn't gone per diem I would have made about $23/hr I think so definitely a little bit of a paycut. That being said, I would have taken it to work at UNC anyways. I think the benefits as far as health insurance are probably a little bit better or very similar to HH when I left (they had just hiked the rates a lot). The prices of homes in CH are of course more expensive than some surrounding areas because it's so desirable. Orange County in general has great schools so Hillsborough & Carrboro can also be desirable areas where you may get more home for your money. Durham has a broad range of housing costs...everything from Rochester city similar up to CH prices depending on what & where. Orange county real estate tax rates are $1.80 vs. Durham at $1.25 per $100 house.
One of the things we left Rochester looking for was more of a less developed, less retail overloaded area & we definitely found that. Durham is big on small town feel sometimes with lots of great local food as is CH.
Again, PM if you like. I am guessing you are either a resident or an attending . Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 AM

553 posts, read 1,269,848 times
Moved from Buffalo to the triangle two years ago and LOVE IT. The awesome weather, cost of utilities and lower taxes definitely made the move worthwhile. Folks here are very friendly, just like in WNY. Lots to do too.

Sadly, there is no Wegmans or Tim Hortons. Maybe in time... Oh, and good luck finding authentic Buffalo wings!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,926,720 times
You will also have a hard time finding 6 feet of snow

Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,853,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
Oh, and good luck finding authentic Buffalo wings!
Buffalo Bros on Capital Blvd They are from....Buffalo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary