Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times

Advertisements

I agree with CHTransplant.

They cannot do these without a good reason. We pay them to serve and protect, and considering they do this for around $30k (new officer), I'd say you should be thanking them for working to keep us safe - whether this from an unsafe vehicle on the road, or a criminal. Complaining about them holding you up seems a bit shortsighted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 11:24 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Summmer time. Gotta check licenses and plates to find those transplants that refuse to become citizens of NC.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:39 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Revenue enhancement.
How exactly is it revenue enhancement??

Driving without a license or with a license suspended or revoked (last time I checked) is ILLEGAL in the state of North Carolina....

Sounds like they were doing their job.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:08 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
They can't tell just by looking at a license if it's suspended or revoked, and all they did yesterday was look. They did not ask for registration or insurance either.

I'm not sure how they can "catch transplants" either....if you're driving thru with out of state license and tags....they can get you for what, exactly?

Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
its just a license checkpoint folks. nothing more nothing less. they do it ALL the time ALL over the state.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:57 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
They cannot do these without a good reason. We pay them to serve and protect, and considering they do this for around $30k (new officer), I'd say you should be thanking them for working to keep us safe - whether this from an unsafe vehicle on the road, or a criminal. Complaining about them holding you up seems a bit shortsighted.
The police can do whatever they want - just ask Stephanie Young of the Highway Patrol. I think these checkpoints are in violation of the Fourth Amendment and think the Supreme Court ruling on this was wrong as well.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

I'm not sure how they can "catch transplants" either....if you're driving thru with out of state license and tags....they can get you for what, exactly?
According to NC law, i think you have 30 days from the date you establish residency to register your vehicle and get a NC drivers license. I have a couple of people in my neighborhood that moved a year ago and still have their old state tags on and I've seen it many times.

Now I doubt that's why they do these checkpoints though.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The police can do whatever they want - just ask Stephanie Young of the Highway Patrol. I think these checkpoints are in violation of the Fourth Amendment and think the Supreme Court ruling on this was wrong as well.
How exactly is asking to see your drivers license illegal search and seizure?

Do you think the same thing when you pay with a credit card and the person at the register asks to see your drivers license?

Old 06-12-2011, 03:49 PM

99 posts, read 307,143 times
You do have 30 days, however, if your license, registration and insurance from your former state is all current how are they to know you didn't just move here two weeks ago? I was one of those people that took well over a year to get all that stuff taken care of and during that time I was totally legal....in another state (I still owned a home there so my insurance company had no problem issuing me cards with both addresses). So if I had been pulled over I would have just said that I had only just arrived in NC.

I'm not saying it's the right, I'm just saying it's easy to get away with.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:46 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
According to NC law, i think you have 30 days from the date you establish residency to register your vehicle and get a NC drivers license. I have a couple of people in my neighborhood that moved a year ago and still have their old state tags on and I've seen it many times.

Now I doubt that's why they do these checkpoints though.
I know. My question is - you stop at a checkpoint, you are asked to produce your license. You produce your out of state license. Sooooo....then what? License and tags match. Does the cop really have any way of knowing whether you just moved here, moved 10 years ago, are visiting or passing thru having wandered way too far off of I95? No he doesn't. Nor does he probably care.

Took me and DH more than 30 days to get our licenses and registrations switched over. I did not a fear a traffic stop during that time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary