U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:59 AM

2,669 posts, read 6,794,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG2 View Post
You are speaking logically and assuming that little things like 'liberty' matter anymore. I agree completely with what you are saying ... it is a slippery slope to "Show me your papers".

I was stopped at check point after picking strawberries with my 3 daughters and my wife in the car. I asked why a State Trooper was stopping people on a municipal road (he did not like that) and I asked what statute allowed him to ask people for their license without probable cause of wrong doing.

He said it was in chapter 30 of the state code. Upon arriving home I opened up my computer and began to search and I could not seem to locate this 'law' anywhere...
Here you go: GS_20-16.3A
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 AM

814 posts, read 1,918,401 times
Yep, see above. Probable cause is only required for a random stop and search. Just asking to see your license is not a search IF they do it in a manner which is consistent (see the language in the reference statute). That is, they need to set up the stop, stop everyone, etc. This keeps them from picking certain people out for no cause...but stopping everybody for checkpoints.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 23,874,792 times
If you're really curious, you'll want to read the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz, which upheld police checkpoints.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:37 AM

29 posts, read 80,788 times
Unhappy Check Point

I wish they could check for current insurance.

When my daughters autos were wrecked in 2 separate incidents, both of the drivers were uninsured and my insurance had to pay.

One young man lied and swore he had insurance. He actually did not pay his premium and it had lapsed. The other young lady was using her sisters DL and lied and actually had no DL or insurance.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:30 AM

447 posts, read 1,552,830 times
My back and hips wish the guy with no license and no insurance who t-boned my car at 45 mph had been caught in one of these checks. That was at 8 am in the morning a few years ago. Got no problem with these kind of checks.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:46 AM

5,069 posts, read 5,829,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
This keeps them from picking certain people out for no cause...but stopping everybody for checkpoints.
I noted the Supreme Court had ruled the searches were legal - I just disagree with the ruling and the value of the stops. Couldn't the logic of searching everyone be expanded to searching all houses in a neighborhood with the hopes of finding a meth lab, etc?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:32 AM

2,669 posts, read 6,794,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I noted the Supreme Court had ruled the searches were legal - I just disagree with the ruling and the value of the stops. Couldn't the logic of searching everyone be expanded to searching all houses in a neighborhood with the hopes of finding a meth lab, etc?
I think the difference is in the concept of "privilege vs. right". You have a right to own property, and certain protections go along with ownership. You have a privilege to drive, which is granted by the state based on certain criteria. The state has the authority to check to be sure you are following the criteria. It's the same as inspecting restaurants, or checking for hunting licenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary