Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:45 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
How exactly is asking to see your drivers license illegal search and seizure?

Do you think the same thing when you pay with a credit card and the person at the register asks to see your drivers license?
Actually, according to most Credit Card agreements stores are NOT allowed to ask you to see your drivers license as a condition for accepting your card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 07:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
Actually, according to most Credit Card agreements stores are NOT allowed to ask you to see your drivers license as a condition for accepting your card.
They can ask to confirm your identity. They cannot write down your DL number.

If you refuse to show your DL, they can refuse to sell to you.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:44 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
They can ask to confirm your identity. They cannot write down your DL number.

If you refuse to show your DL, they can refuse to sell to you.
Nope.

See number 3 -

9 big credit card myths - MSN Money

Old 06-12-2011, 08:47 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
Ahhh. Would explain it. We use Discover and AMEX.

I don't mind showing ID. I just hold my finger over the DL number.

It's better than signing all my cards.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:05 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
How exactly is asking to see your drivers license illegal search and seizure?
Where is the "probable cause" for stopping me and asking to see "my papers"?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:05 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They can't tell just by looking at a license if it's suspended or revoked, and all they did yesterday was look. They did not ask for registration or insurance either.

I'm not sure how they can "catch transplants" either....if you're driving thru with out of state license and tags....they can get you for what, exactly?
No, they cant tell if its revoked just by looking... so the FEW that are suspended or revoked AND have a copy of their licience that has a valid date slip through. I bet that number is few. Most people irresposible enough to drive with out a licience, or a revoked/suspended licience dont have a copy.

I drove in NC with a NJ tag for a year. I DID get stopped once and they questioned how long I was living here. I told the truth and got a little lecture. He explained the law and said to get it done soon! The State Troopers in this state are such gentleman. I have never gotten a ticket without the Trooper explaining how to get it reduced or dropped. That NEVER happens in NJ!

I am not a big fan of the checkpoints... but they are VERY productive for finding fugitives, guns, drunk drivers and revoked/suspended drivers.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 AM
NG2

62 posts, read 147,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Where is the "probable cause" for stopping me and asking to see "my papers"?
You are speaking logically and assuming that little things like 'liberty' matter anymore. I agree completely with what you are saying ... it is a slippery slope to "Show me your papers".

I was stopped at check point after picking strawberries with my 3 daughters and my wife in the car. I asked why a State Trooper was stopping people on a municipal road (he did not like that) and I asked what statute allowed him to ask people for their license without probable cause of wrong doing.

He said it was in chapter 30 of the state code. Upon arriving home I opened up my computer and began to search and I could not seem to locate this 'law' anywhere...

Old 06-13-2011, 06:37 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
You should thank the officer for taking the drunk or unlicensed drivers off the road who may have hit you and your family head on.

It's especially amazing that there are so many unlicensed drivers on the road -- and many of them never had a license in their lives, so they don't know how to drive. If such checkpoints didn't result in catching the unlicensed drivers and other dangerous people, they wouldn't do it.

Quote:
You are speaking logically and assuming that little things like 'liberty' matter anymore. I agree completely with what you are saying ... it is a slippery slope to "Show me your papers".

I was stopped at check point after picking strawberries with my 3 daughters and my wife in the car. I asked why a State Trooper was stopping people on a municipal road (he did not like that) and I asked what statute allowed him to ask people for their license without probable cause of wrong doing.

He said it was in chapter 30 of the state code. Upon arriving home I opened up my computer and began to search and I could not seem to locate this 'law' anywhere...

Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Not sure having a license means you actually know how to drive. My test over at an office in east Raleigh not too far from Enloe HS and since closed, consisted of driving about a mile in an 8 block circuit through residential streets and backing up straight. I did not even have to parallel park.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:45 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times
Some LE branches get together and do them all day; you can catch quite a few criminals in a day's time. Most criminals are not Rhodes' scholars and will either try to bluff their way thru - or turn around and speed off , getting chased and caught (you can't outrun Motorola).

It sounds like in your case they were looking for someone specific. Could have been anything from a purse-snatching to domestic violence to a discovered body that AM; you probably didn't fit the description. BTW, just because they only glanced at your license doesn't mean they 'didn't ask' for anything else; I used to dispatch, and traffic stops were always rushed and demanding back at the office, as cops further along the line would call in license plates rapid-fire to verify ownership, legality, etc. while the people were still in line. By the time they get to where the officers were actually stopping them, the officers usually know who should be in that vehicle, and whether their licenses are 'clear'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary