U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 08:13 PM

360 posts, read 947,828 times

Advertisements

I was driving down Davis Drive in Apex around 10:30 this morning, and the police had set up a "check station" or at least that's what the sign said. Anyone know what the heck they were looking for?? I mean surely it wasn't a DUI check at 10:30 am right?! Seems like the police could be doing better things at that time of the morning than holding up traffic for no good reason
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 08:17 PM

34,846 posts, read 33,732,795 times
I had to drive through one of those in Cary last Saturday morning. I always assume they're looking for a criminal of some sort.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:22 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,309,034 times
What happened at the check station?
Did they check your DL and Insurance? Or just look at you closely.

The couple of times I've seen one, it was obviously a pre-DUI check, where it was after dark, and they shined you with a flashlight. Probably looking for a reaction or guilty look or such.
Obviously that's not the case here.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:10 AM

6,263 posts, read 15,311,292 times
Maybe it had something to do with the murders in RTP or maybe it was a training exercise.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:19 AM

119 posts, read 378,327 times
License or seatbelt I am guessing. You'd be surprised at the stories I have heard of people going through those checks without them or their KIDS secured!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 23,776,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
I was driving down Davis Drive in Apex around 10:30 this morning, and the police had set up a "check station" or at least that's what the sign said. Anyone know what the heck they were looking for?? I mean surely it wasn't a DUI check at 10:30 am right?! Seems like the police could be doing better things at that time of the morning than holding up traffic for no good reason
Wait - so you don't know why the police were there or what they were looking for, yet you feel confident enough to pronounce that they have "better things to do" and had "no good reason" to be there??

Old 06-12-2011, 08:10 AM

21,638 posts, read 32,941,033 times
I went thru it and they just asked to see my license. My DD was in the car and they didn't even check to see if she was properly restrained so it wasn't about that. Also, there was a sign announcing the check, so it would be pretty stupid to drive thru without your seatbelt on!

There was an Amber Alert yesterday, don't know if it was related to that. And it wasn't like they were running peoples' licenses so you could hand over your license with 50 suspensions and not have a worry in the world.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:12 AM

34,846 posts, read 33,732,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I went thru it and they just asked to see my license. My DD was in the car and they didn't even check to see if she was properly restrained so it wasn't about that. Also, there was a sign announcing the check, so it would be pretty stupid to drive thru without your seatbelt on!

There was an Amber Alert yesterday, don't know if it was related to that. And it wasn't like they were running peoples' licenses so you could hand over your license with 50 suspensions and not have a worry in the world.
Yeah. Same as the check I went through in Cary last weekend.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 AM

843 posts, read 2,012,036 times
They have checks like that all over the triangle. Durham does them frequently. They check your tag and DL and you are on your way. Sometimes its the Staties, City or Sherriff Dept...sometimes all three.
One thing I learned here in NC, if your "stuff" aint straight, dont drive. Cause they will catch you when your least expecting it. I have gone through checkpoints in Mebane, Hillsbourough, Durham, Carrboro, Chapel Hill, Cary and Raleigh. Also New Bern, Pollicksville, Jacksonville, Asheville.... I have seen them in the citys, out in the country, even in a subdivision...they could be ANYWHERE.

You would be suprised how many unlicienced drivers they catch....

Old 06-12-2011, 10:48 AM

3,987 posts, read 10,350,174 times
Revenue enhancement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>