Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:37 AM

333 posts, read 1,201,060 times

Advertisements

Are there certain areas to avoid buying a home because whenever you get the remnants of a storm you get a good chance of flooding? I saw on the news that lots of the shopping centers were stocking up on sand bags... just curious where the worst spots are in Raleigh metro area for potential for flooding? Certain neighborhoods or a certain town? Not a ton of rivers that I saw in the areas I drove through so i assume this is more of flash flooding rather than rivers swelling from the rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 10:42 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
Frankly, anywhere near a stream or in a floodplain is fair game when we get those 6+ inch rain events. I can't figure out the number of crazy people who buy/build houses next to streams! Not smart at all.

Basically, when you're scoping out houses/apartments/whatever, find out where it is, and try to see if any streams are nearby. A topographic map would help...many are online at topozone.com for instance.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Frankly, anywhere near a stream or in a floodplain is fair game when we get those 6+ inch rain events. I can't figure out the number of crazy people who buy/build houses next to streams! Not smart at all.

Basically, when you're scoping out houses/apartments/whatever, find out where it is, and try to see if any streams are nearby. A topographic map would help...many are online at topozone.com for instance.
You better be careful with your links and maps - you are giving mm34b a run for his(her) money as officially reincarnated from a previous life as World Book Encyclopedia

p.s. sad thing is most people 15 or younger dont even know what World Book Encyclopedia is! They probably only know Wikipedia lol

Old 08-31-2006, 11:55 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
Crabtree Creek behind Crabtree Valley mall always floods. You can boat around the mall when this happens. They have to put the flood gates up in the mall, and it has been a real mess several times. Don't know that I would choose anything around that area. ;-)

Old 08-31-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
Crabtree Creek behind Crabtree Valley mall always floods. You can boat around the mall when this happens. They have to put the flood gates up in the mall, and it has been a real mess several times. Don't know that I would choose anything around that area. ;-)
Sorry I dont know where that is? Is it in Raleigh itself or one of the surrounding communities?

I guess unlike in the north people try to stay away from small bodies of water due to bugs and floods

Old 08-31-2006, 01:38 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
Yes in Raleigh behind Crabtree Valley Mall.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Sorry to repeat this...but for those of you that didn't see it on another thread...Crabtree Valley Mall is built on a lake bed and Crabtree Creek is right behind the mall...so who is suprised when the mall floods? Not me! Vicki

Old 09-01-2006, 07:38 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
Well it's only been in the past five years that the city, county and state governments have been trying to do anything to keep people from building in floodplains.
Even today, state law only requires you to have a 50 foot vegetated buffer around streams. Which water can often go way beyond that!

Old 09-01-2006, 09:51 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Sorry to repeat this...but for those of you that didn't see it on another thread...Crabtree Valley Mall is built on a lake bed and Crabtree Creek is right behind the mall...so who is suprised when the mall floods? Not me! Vicki
I'm surprised Crabtree Mall wasn't torn down years ago. I seem to remember it being built around 40 years ago or am I thinking of someplace else?

Old 09-01-2006, 06:15 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Crabtree Valley Mall was built the same year that I moved to Raleigh. I believe it was 1972. Its a beautiful mall with great shops. Its my favorite place to shop. Why would they tear it down?

Ohhhh, I think perhaps you are thinking of North Hills Mall? They've turned it into more of an outdoor type mall and its booming. Tons of new restaurants and very pricey stores...I prefer the mall with air conditioning or heat, depending on the season!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary