Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:09 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times

Advertisements

Hi, all--I'm looking for a 5k training program for a truly beginning runner in the general NW Cary/Morrisville area. Anyone know of something like this? I didn't find anything on meetups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
You have an iPhone by chance? I did it with an app called C25k last spring. I went from couch to 5k then did a half marathon after 8 months.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 PM

99 posts, read 307,259 times
I have not found any such groups. I tried a program via Fleet Feet this spring but it advanced too quickly for me. Last year I walked (with minor spurts of running) 3 half marathons and I'm training to do the City of Oaks half in November and would really like to run more than I walk this time. I have a training group I meet with on Saturdays but I really need someone to train with during the week. I'm in the Morrisville area.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 PM

477 posts, read 1,419,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Hi, all--I'm looking for a 5k training program for a truly beginning runner in the general NW Cary/Morrisville area. Anyone know of something like this? I didn't find anything on meetups.
The NCRC (NC Roadrunners Club) has a Beginner Women's Running Group that is registering now. It is a wonderful 10 week program that mentors women of all ages and abilities to run our target 5K race, the Women's Distance Festival on Sept 24. Unfortunately, most of the training runs are not in the Cary/Morrisville area. Most are at Shelley Lake or Lake Lynn in north Raleigh. However, you will find that women come from all over just to run in such a supportive environment. We have MANY women and volunteers from Cary! Here is a link to the info about the program.
NCRC Women?s Beginner Running Program
DM if you have any questions. We would love to have you come out and join us!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunomom View Post
The NCRC (NC Roadrunners Club) has a Beginner Women's Running Group that is registering now. It is a wonderful 10 week program that mentors women of all ages and abilities to run our target 5K race, the Women's Distance Festival on Sept 24. Unfortunately, most of the training runs are not in the Cary/Morrisville area. Most are at Shelley Lake or Lake Lynn in north Raleigh. However, you will find that women come from all over just to run in such a supportive environment. We have MANY women and volunteers from Cary! Here is a link to the info about the program.
NCRC Women?s Beginner Running Program
DM if you have any questions. We would love to have you come out and join us!
This sounds perfect to me--they don't mind someone who's really, truly, a beginnger? I mean, I exercise, but really want to start doing 5ks, most of all the Komen 5k next year (I'm a survivor).

I'll check the link--don't know if I can make it all the way over there--how many days/week should a person usually be able to meet up to run?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylulu View Post
I have not found any such groups. I tried a program via Fleet Feet this spring but it advanced too quickly for me. Last year I walked (with minor spurts of running) 3 half marathons and I'm training to do the City of Oaks half in November and would really like to run more than I walk this time. I have a training group I meet with on Saturdays but I really need someone to train with during the week. I'm in the Morrisville area.
I'm in Morrisville, too, and would like to find a program/group here. I have 2-3 other friends who want to do a 5k with me, but I don't know how to start.

Have you ever asked at Raleigh Running over on 55 and High House? I was thinking of asking if they have a program.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
You have an iPhone by chance? I did it with an app called C25k last spring. I went from couch to 5k then did a half marathon after 8 months.
Thanks for the rec!

I just downloaded it.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:11 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
Maybe you could join the NCRC group, use their framework, but meet in Morrisville with your smaller group???

Old 06-13-2011, 08:29 PM

477 posts, read 1,419,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
This sounds perfect to me--they don't mind someone who's really, truly, a beginnger? I mean, I exercise, but really want to start doing 5ks, most of all the Komen 5k next year (I'm a survivor).

I'll check the link--don't know if I can make it all the way over there--how many days/week should a person usually be able to meet up to run?
Yes, Yes, YES! - this is for the TRUE beginner! You will have so much support from the many volunteers who mostly started running through this program.

There are also educational seminars geared towards women after the Thursday runs at Lake Lynn Community Center. You do not have to make all the runs. We encourage you to run 3x/week. If you can only make 1 group run, you can do the other 2 on your own. But you will find that you will make wonderful friendships and most of us continue to meet for weekend runs with our friends.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
Don't be put off by being a beginner. You will find a ton of support. I ran my first 5k at age 40 at a rate not much faster than a brisk walk. I even got passed by a lady pushing a stroller! I was struggling at the finish but there was a line of already finished runners cheering the slow folks on. It was pretty cool.

I'd recommend getting a cheap watch to time yourself. You WILL see progress over the first few weeks and seeing your time drop is very good encouragement. Also, spend the appropriate amount on running shoes: try several brands and decide which is the best fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary