Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 PM
P51

61 posts, read 306,490 times

Advertisements

I've had DirecTV for two years. It only goes out when there is a big thunderstorm just to the south of your house (between your dish and the satellites). How often does that happen? In Dallas it was a couple of times a year, but the storms move through pretty quickly. The picture quality is better than the cable we had, and the HD TiVo DVR is the best (they no longer offer it).

I kept TWC as my internet provider. I had some horrendous customer service and billing experiences with them. I will never use them again if I can help it.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:59 PM

27 posts, read 189,873 times
I've had Direct TV for the last 3 years. I live in Cary. I've only lost reception 2 times due to severe thunderstorms. I use Clearwire for internet. Works awesome. I love Direct TV.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:44 PM

23 posts, read 81,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
Now that TWC added ESPN2HD and The CW-HD we've got a lot less gripes. In the past the cable HD signal has been the better of the two while the standard definition signal was best on Direct TV. I keep reading in Home Theater that Direct TV is getting more sats and better/less compression (This would provide more bandwidth and a better HD signal) but I don't know if that is all in place yet. If all things were equal TWC would still be my preference because I don't like the contracts you sign with sat providers in order to get the equipment cheaper. Yes, I'd rather "rent" the equipment on a monthly basis.

All that said. having TWC I still miss out on Turner South (Braves games when not on TBS), and the NFL package that is exclusive to Direct TV
Good points on TWC vs. Direct TV. What sold me was the promo they're running right now that includes NFL sunday ticket and all the premium channels for about $64. After that time, I can select a more affordable package. I'm not too crazy about the 2 yr committment either.

Jason

Old 08-07-2007, 08:46 PM

23 posts, read 81,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xochousewife View Post
We just got TWC--HD/DVR system 2 weeks ago. We've had 2 outtages, one time the remote wouldn't work, 2 missed recordings (may have been operator error.....ahem), and for the past 2 days the guide hasn't worked. And believe it or not, we don't watch that much TV...Argh! I miss my Dish Satellite! I hope the bugs will work themselves out soon. Good luck to you.
Curious, why did you decide to switch to TWC? Thanks for the good wishes with my cable adventures!

Jason

Old 08-08-2007, 05:46 AM

214 posts, read 701,708 times
We decided on Direct TV last year because of the NFL ticket and the baseball package (which I believe is now available on TWC). We have never lost service and I also miss the on demand feature of cable. We decided not to upgrade to HD just yet because it was going to cost something like $300 for the HD DVR receiver plus another few hundred to have an electrician come in and do some sort of wiring. Hardly seemed worth the extra money so we will reevaluate in another year.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:03 AM

81 posts, read 301,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvills View Post
Curious, why did you decide to switch to TWC? Thanks for the good wishes with my cable adventures!

Jason
We just moved into our new home and TWC seemed to offer a good $$ package. We don't get BellSouth here for phone service and couldn't figure out who offered it. Our neighbors seem to all use TWC, so that's who we signed up with also. Still miss my dish!

Old 08-22-2007, 06:48 AM

285 posts, read 1,039,598 times
Heh- we have DirectTV because our remote neighborhood in Orange County doesn't even HAVE cable. I had always had Time Warner before, and frankly, my Time Warner went down more often than my DirectTV does now. We may have lost signal twice in three years.

I do miss the Movies on Demand service, but we do have some Pay Per View options where you have to select a certain movie at a certain time.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:56 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
The fiberoptic TWC in North Raleigh has been great.

Only outages in 3 years were during power failures when the TV was useless anyway.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
As little rain as we seem to have here, the weather isn't really a problem for Directv. I had a brief few outtages a year back in Virginia - and once or twice I had to knock snow off the dish (not a problem here). I went back to Directv after having TWC here for a year because I was unhappy with the quality of the non-digital TWC channels. I'd say the biggest downside to Directv is if you want to have it in multiple rooms - the "cable ready" wiring in most houses will not support it so you have to get additional work done. I just have one TV, so it's not a problem for me.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:01 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
We have prewiring in 3 rooms of our apt.

Hooked TWC to all of them and each TV works fine.

Perhaps some cable wiring is poorly designed degrading the signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary