Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:41 PM

251 posts, read 1,128,091 times

Advertisements

Though TWC customer service is really poor--Directv and Dish is equally bad. Truth is, TWC beats both sats in quality and cost. And wait until you decide to add another TV (as I did when I had Dish) and the sat company charges you $250.00 for an additional receiver and installation!!! Not to mention, you have to pay for any service call when you have problems with sat service (not true with TWC). Warning---what the sat companies call HD service is known by most as "HD Lite" since the signal is highly compressed, thus the quality of the picture and sound is very compromised. I wonder how many have fallen for the advertisements for Direct which offer service for $29.95/mo. while hawking HD service? Of course, Direct does offer a $29.95 package, which includes no HD channels, no local channels (4.99/mo extra), and only for one set (extra sets are $4.99/mo). The cheap package is mostly shopping and religious channels!!! Very deceptive advertising, IMHO.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:11 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
I've had Direct TV since the days it was called Prime Star, and have always been very happy with the service and the lineup. We had the satellite when we were 10 miles outside of Wilmington, and couldn't get TWC, years ago. It was our first experience with Direct TV, and has been our preferred provider, by far, whenever we've had a choice. We briefly had TWC, for a period of two years, and the only thing I liked about it was the on-demand feature -- everything else about TWC s-t-u-n-k.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:20 PM

4 posts, read 15,430 times
I have been evaluating my options ever since moving back to the Triangle in February. I decided to go with TWC (for cable and internet) but once my initial promotion expired, my monthly bill jumped $40. I called to gripe and they offered a "retention" promotion of roughly $25 off for 6 months. Once this expires, they say I am eligible for one more. After that, I'm on my own. That's why they don't mind offering promotions. Eventually they will expire and you'll be stuck paying $150 for their service.

With this in mind, I have been considering a move to a DirecTV but I don't think the numbers work in my favor. I have many TVs (6) and don't feel like paying for all the receivers. The monthly service would be cheaper but I'm not big on contracts. Also, DirecTV offers more HD channels, NFL Network, all digital channels, AND Bravo (the Project Runway fans will know why this is so important).

I've heard good things about Dish Network but haven't had time to research them much.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:16 AM

315 posts, read 1,256,478 times
We've had DirecTV (almost 10 years), TWC and Comcast. And of the 3, DTV is the best. Right now we have 3 HD TV's. 2 of them have HD recorders, and the other just has a HD receiver. The 3 receivers didn't cost me a thing, but I have to give them back if I drop DTV. Our bill is lower then it was with TWC the few months we were living in an apartment and couldn't get DTV. And when only had 2 tv's then. I have had a couple of small problem with DTV service. The failed to show up to install DTV in our new house on the date they were suppose to. But they gave me a $50 credit for the delay. I can not see us leaving DTV to go back to cable any time soon.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLogans View Post
With this in mind, I have been considering a move to a DirecTV but I don't think the numbers work in my favor. I have many TVs (6) and don't feel like paying for all the receivers.
You can call them and see what they will offer you. I doubt you'll have to pay for 6 boxes if you mention you're switching from cable. They do charge a $5 access fee per box though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post
Though TWC customer service is really poor--Directv and Dish is equally bad. Truth is, TWC beats both sats in quality and cost. And wait until you decide to add another TV (as I did when I had Dish) and the sat company charges you $250.00 for an additional receiver and installation!!! Not to mention, you have to pay for any service call when you have problems with sat service (not true with TWC). Warning---what the sat companies call HD service is known by most as "HD Lite" since the signal is highly compressed, thus the quality of the picture and sound is very compromised. I wonder how many have fallen for the advertisements for Direct which offer service for $29.95/mo. while hawking HD service? Of course, Direct does offer a $29.95 package, which includes no HD channels, no local channels (4.99/mo extra), and only for one set (extra sets are $4.99/mo). The cheap package is mostly shopping and religious channels!!! Very deceptive advertising, IMHO.
\

With the exception of the highlighted portion, your post is debatable at best. In regards to deceptive advertising, TWC's current campaign makes my stomach churn.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:19 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
The DVR HD boxes from TWC have software issues that TWC is hoping to correct very soon by a download to customer boxes.

The service otherwise is great and they gave me a free month for the trouble with the box.

Of course, service calls are 100% free with TWC.

Dish's only value IMHO is to keep TWC from getting too greedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary