Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:36 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times

Advertisements

Green Level to Durham Road and/or Green Level Church road is near some trails and it is horrendous when a glut of bicyclists are on the road. Even one or two makes it very tight on that tiny road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 04:32 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trt75 View Post
I'm new to the area and am wondering if there any bike parks in Wake County . . . . .
When you say "bike parks", are you referring to skate parks, which are parks built for BMX bikeriders, inline skaters, and skateboarders? Cary has one, but it is the only one that I know of.

Sk8-Cary Skate Park

We started in 2002 as the first public skatepark in Wake County for skateboarders, in-line skaters, and BMX riders. Sk8-Cary's course features 12,000 square feet of ramps to shred, a mini-ramp to master, rails to grind, and ledges to slide. All ramps are made with Skatelite Pro as the skating surface, giving us the opportunity to change up the park as opposed to an unchanging concrete park. Programs are offered year-round by our experienced instructors. Whether you're just starting out or you're a seasoned pro, enjoy the atmosphere and the course at Sk8-Cary!

Old 06-26-2011, 05:06 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
the greenways are a great safe alternative....

Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
I'll incorporate a greenway into a bike ride sometimes, but I don't find it a real replacement for riding on the road. Greenways around here are usually fairly short, so you aren't going to get a great ride in. I usually end up just coasting along them, otherwise my speed is higher than allowed. Many have wooden bridges or walkways, and between splinters and nails they don't play well with bike tires. And dogs, kids, strollers, etc. can all be fairly unpredictable. And then there is the issue of getting to the greenway itself. I'd much prefer to just take off from my home than have to load up and drive to a greenway.

If I've got to drive anyway, I'll just drive to Umstead or the American Tobacco Trail which have less pedestrians and are wider. And they are large/long enough for a decent ride.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:41 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I'll incorporate a greenway into a bike ride sometimes, but I don't find it a real replacement for riding on the road. Greenways around here are usually fairly short, so you aren't going to get a great ride in. I usually end up just coasting along them, otherwise my speed is higher than allowed. Many have wooden bridges or walkways, and between splinters and nails they don't play well with bike tires. And dogs, kids, strollers, etc. can all be fairly unpredictable. And then there is the issue of getting to the greenway itself. I'd much prefer to just take off from my home than have to load up and drive to a greenway.

If I've got to drive anyway, I'll just drive to Umstead or the American Tobacco Trail which have less pedestrians and are wider. And they are large/long enough for a decent ride.
Reps to this!

Add on that the speed limit for the greenways is 10mph. There has been a lot of emphesis in this thread on following the rules. 10MPH on a bike is around 1/2 speed for an experienced cyclist.

(That said, I LOVE doing some greenway rides, but that is usually more of a social thing with buddies, and it involves a couple pubs, a big lunch, and more of a tour around the city than a focused ride. It's very hard to get more than 30-35 miles with greenways being the majority of the miles... Not much of a ride.) <-- my preference is still to be on a mountainbike, in the woods.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Sometimes the road IS safer than the bikelane

YouTube - &#x202a;bike lanes&#x202c;&rlm;

Old 06-29-2011, 09:52 AM

278 posts, read 467,519 times
I would think it is unsafe to be going 10-20mph on a road where 30-40 is the minimum expected, whether you are on a bike, or in a car.

I agree with the person who said that Hilton Head is great! I'm not sure if there is another community like this. I like the Raleigh greenway though. It would be better if it were finished - they have several planned routes like the Neuse River Trail, and a second connection to Umstead park. There are 63 miles of trails right now. That is a whole lot more than most places.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:12 PM

351 posts, read 632,438 times
Default Raleigh Bicyclists

This may not be considered a "Raleigh" issue but that's where I see it quite a lot. And I'm not trying to start a fight but it is getting out of hand here.

Bicyclists. You ride in your large groups down the highways. Whether it be three of you or 30, you take up a whole lane because you believe you have just as much right to the roads as autos do. You consider yourself a vehicle and therefore, its your road, too.

I wait patiently and when its finally safe to pass, I do so in a manner that no one gets hurt and all is safe. You with me so far?

But THEN, we approach a traffic light. As we all are sitting there waiting for the light to change, you all have decided to go from traffic laws to pedestrian laws, I guess. Your whole group cruises through the waiting cars and you just stroll right through the red traffic light as if it was your world and the rest of us has to stop. Then of course, the light turns green, all those cars catch up to you, and we have to wait patiently to pass you AGAIN.

Don't pick and choose your traffic laws. Yesterday when that group of about 25 bicyclists was riding across Hwy 64 in Cary, some of you decided to do the red light thing. After about five of you made it across the four lane highway, my light turned green and the rest of the gang slammed on brakes. Good thing. We were rolling up to the light as it turned green so I was back on the gas as this occurred. My 26,000 lbs. of truck and RV would never had been able to stop in time had the rest of the gang decided to just mock the traffic laws and do their own thing.

If you want respect on the highways, earn it like the rest of us. But I promise you this. If trying to avoid your red light running self puts my family in danger, you're going under the truck. I'll do all I can to save your life even when you don't care. But I'm not unnecessarily risking my family's safety for your arrogance.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
And some of you don't look good in spandex either. I really don't want to have to ride behind that for several minutes while I wait to pass.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:40 PM

645 posts, read 1,502,835 times
+1 on this puppy +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary