Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:25 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
i wouldnt buy in the vast majority of the -610 zip code.
I wouldn't buy in any of it. Pity. It used to be a nice zip code back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 06:05 PM

171 posts, read 430,244 times
I realize I'm in the minority here. That being said, I've lived in the Preston neighborhood of Cary (which is expensive), but currently live near downtown Raleigh in 27610 in a mid-century neighborhood.

YOU CANNOT PAY ME TO GO BACK TO CARY.

90% of the people on this message board would hate my neighborhood. They're not wrong, but I would rather live with the "scary" black people who "gasp" WALK to get their groceries (they're greener than you are without even trying).

My wife and I also educated, white, with no kids. My neighbors are a mix of black, white, hispanic, young and married with no kids, lots of young families and original residents from the 50s/60s. Most people share your same concern about living above their means, it's a modest neighborhood. My neighbors are the nicest people. Most are fairly blue collar, down to earth people. We grill out on each other's porches. There is a sense of community that an HOA can't manufacture, but you wouldn't know that unless you've lived here. Also, 27610 is HUGE. Evaluate EACH NEIGHBORHOOD separately or else you'll end up with inaccurate generalizations and miss out on good opportunities.

As others have pointed out, finding a new construction will be your biggest issue. Lots of DINKs live in neighborhoods near downtown Raleigh. Some east, some west.

It's the classic urban vs. suburban fight. The opinions on this board tend to represent the the older, white, wealthier, suburban demographic, but not always. Everybody's opinions are equally valid, but so is mine. 27610 is home to me, my friends, my neighbors, and we wouldn't live anywhere else. You trash my home, I trash yours.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,392 times
Is it your opinion that the OP can find what he wants at the under $200,000. price point quoted in Zip code 27610?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheone81 View Post
I realize I'm in the minority here. That being said, I've lived in the Preston neighborhood of Cary (which is expensive), but currently live near downtown Raleigh in 27610 in a mid-century neighborhood.

YOU CANNOT PAY ME TO GO BACK TO CARY.

90% of the people on this message board would hate my neighborhood. They're not wrong, but I would rather live with the "scary" black people who "gasp" WALK to get their groceries (they're greener than you are without even trying).

My wife and I also educated, white, with no kids. My neighbors are a mix of black, white, hispanic, young and married with no kids, lots of young families and original residents from the 50s/60s. Most people share your same concern about living above their means, it's a modest neighborhood. My neighbors are the nicest people. Most are fairly blue collar, down to earth people. We grill out on each other's porches. There is a sense of community that an HOA can't manufacture, but you wouldn't know that unless you've lived here. Also, 27610 is HUGE. Evaluate EACH NEIGHBORHOOD separately or else you'll end up with inaccurate generalizations and miss out on good opportunities.

As others have pointed out, finding a new construction will be your biggest issue. Lots of DINKs live in neighborhoods near downtown Raleigh. Some east, some west.

It's the classic urban vs. suburban fight. The opinions on this board tend to represent the the older, white, wealthier, suburban demographic, but not always. Everybody's opinions are equally valid, but so is mine. 27610 is home to me, my friends, my neighbors, and we wouldn't live anywhere else. You trash my home, I trash yours.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:42 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I wouldn't buy in any of it. Pity. It used to be a nice zip code back in the day.
I disagree. There are some nice areas of 27610. Again, this is why I said NOT to search by zip codes. Again, this is why I said people's opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. To a person that isn't from the area and asking these questions, you must listen to ALL opinions and then make your own decision. Remember, many of these answers are opinions, not facts.

Vicki

Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Is it your opinion that the OP can find what he wants at the under $200,000. price point quoted in Zip code 27610?
27610 is a big zip code. Sure, the OP can find what he/she is looking for in 27610. It's no different than anywhere else in town, you need to look to see what you personally enjoy. Everybody doesn't like everything.

I agree with many others, losing the new construction requirement would open up more options worth investigating. Particularly closer to downtown.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:55 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
and by asking on here, they are asking our OPINIONS.

theres people who like living in an HOA - thats their opinion
theres people who like living in condos - again- their opinion
and yet others like living with acreage and the freedom to paint their house neon orange if they wish - again, all opinions.

what is right for me, may not be right for you. thats ok. i guarantee most of the people on here wouldnt like living way out in nowhere like i do. thats ok. i like it, no skin off my back and keeps my taxes down :P

can OP find a house in that range in that zip. probably. that doesnt mean that it is the right neighborhood for him/her. much research of the neighborhood (any neighborhood) is needed before making that decision. ESPECIALLY for someone who does NOT know the area.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I disagree. There are some nice areas of 27610. Again, this is why I said NOT to search by zip codes. Again, this is why I said people's opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. To a person that isn't from the area and asking these questions, you must listen to ALL opinions and then make your own decision. Remember, many of these answers are opinions, not facts.

Vicki
I have lived in 27610. Gasp. Shocker.

I just said that I wouldn't buy there.

Doesn't mean nobody else should.

The OP sounds very much like someone who wouldn't like the majority of neighborhoods in that area.

Fwiw? The ONLY time anyone ever tried to break into my house was in 1983. In 27610.

And I've lived in Boylan Heights. Back when it was declining, not now that it's trendy.

Soooo... as this is an OPINION board, well. There's my own, personal opinion.

You've got yours. I've got mine.

Tacking "I'm a professional" to your posts doesn't make your opinion of which neighborhoods are nice for which people any more valid than mine.

If the OP had written a different post, I may well have suggested some of the neighborhoods in 27610.

I don't hate the place.

Sheesh.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheone81 View Post
27610 is a big zip code. Sure, the OP can find what he/she is looking for in 27610. It's no different than anywhere else in town, you need to look to see what you personally enjoy. Everybody doesn't like everything.

I agree with many others, losing the new construction requirement would open up more options worth investigating. Particularly closer to downtown.
Hey! I suggested that.

I used to live on Glascock St, btw. Cute little house. Great big, fenced back yard.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
and by asking on here, they are asking our OPINIONS.

theres people who like living in an HOA - thats their opinion
theres people who like living in condos - again- their opinion
and yet others like living with acreage and the freedom to paint their house neon orange if they wish - again, all opinions.

what is right for me, may not be right for you. thats ok. i guarantee most of the people on here wouldnt like living way out in nowhere like i do. thats ok. i like it, no skin off my back and keeps my taxes down :P

can OP find a house in that range in that zip. probably. that doesnt mean that it is the right neighborhood for him/her. much research of the neighborhood (any neighborhood) is needed before making that decision. ESPECIALLY for someone who does NOT know the area.
Exactly.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 PM

OP is doing the right thing by researching. This board is a great resource for people looking to move. If we didn't agree, we wouldn't be wasting our time on this board.

The most common response I receive when I describe where I live is "where? Oh man, I haven't been back there in like 20 years." Most people haven't personally been through many neighborhoods or heck, anywhere 27610 in a long time. Sure, you can have an opinion, but uninformed opinions perpetuate bad information.

My opinions are in response to the overwhelmingly uninformed opinions about the 27610 zip code. It's a nice to live, don't write it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary