Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times

Advertisements

I would like to get a GPS for my car but am clueless about what to get. I know a lot of people on this forum talk about how much they like theirs and I was hoping to get some recommendations on the types of units that do well in this area (ie. don't have problems finding satellites) and and where I can get the best deal (in Raleigh) buying one. I am specifically looking for a voice activated unit so if you have experience with one of those I would love to hear your thoughts, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 03:18 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,614 times
I had a garman and it was fine, but they get outdated fast, as roads change, and then you have to buy an upgrade.... Now I'm using my Sprint Phone (EVO 4g) and I have GPS all the time, any time, and it's always accurate and up to date.

Not sure if it's an option, but if you can use a web-based one (typically a smart-phone), there are a lot of Pro's. EG: If you have unlimited data, spend money on the phone, rather than a GPS.

(Another plus is when you travel, it's always with you. Not another thing to tote along...

Old 06-19-2011, 03:48 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
I'd go to some website like crutchfield (electronics store)
Portable Car GPS Navigation at Crutchfield.com
and Consumer Reports:
GPS guide from Consumer Reports
and GeoCaching.com:
Geocaching > Getting Started with Geocaching > Guide to Buying a GPS Device

and figure out what features you Must Have, and which you'd Like to Have, and then get the absolutely cheapest one that matches.

My reasoning, as a hard-core geek, is that GPS technology is one of the most volatile (changing from year to year) that I know. What cost $600 four years ago cost $300 last year and is on sale at CompUSA for $80 now.

Voice Recognition and traffic service are the two features I'd require, and not worry about it also being able to play mp3 song files off of a MemChip, or having a bluetooth repeater for your phone.

And I'd price them at CompUSA and Best Buy, hopefully during some sale, or getting a reconditioned unit for an extra discount.
Not that I'm that cheap, but rather since my first GPS (an add-on to my Tungsten PDA back in 2004 where GPS were over a thousand dollars and my setup was only about $250), I've planned on replacing it every two or so years.

And for the last year or so, there is another consideration. I'll certainly never get a GPS again.
Why? My android-based smartphone (Moto Droid) had Google Maps built in, along with a navigator program as good as any GPS direction program. It's free, has free real-time traffic and has destination info built in, and super easy to add Points of Interest (my own landmarks to keep on the map, like all the libraries in the county), via Google Maps on the Web.
Oh, did I mention it was FREE!!!! And the maps are almost certainly more current than that on any GPS that doesn't download the map as you need it.

My only bias towards my current GPS is that it's screen size is a bit larger than my Droid, but my next smartphone will probably have a tad larger screen, and I'll put a mounting clamp on my windshield for it just as soon as my GPS shows any sign of dieing.

Just remember that if you do use your smartphone, it MUST be connected to your car's power, as running the GPS, the screen, and taking directions will all burn through your battery super fast otherwise.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
NRG...I can't find my way otta Bedford without my Garmin! It is my 4th one. I just keep passing the old models down to the hubby and daughter!

The newest one I got was $125 and it came with a lifetime of updated maps. I update each November as that seems to be when the new maps come out. The very first Garmin I got was $600!

Better technology and lower prices BUT...not made as well. One of my daughters is still using the old $600 GPS that is the size of a small TV!

Vicki

Old 06-20-2011, 04:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Thanks for the input. I don't have a smart phone, and don't have any plans to get one so I think the portable GPS is the way to go for now. I'd really like to get a unit with voice recognition, and like what I see in the Garmin NUVI 3790T, but I am not looking to spend $300. My range is more in the $100-$125 area. Will probably stop by the local best buy, comp usa, and walmart today.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
I'm a Garmin fan too.

The new models have added voice recognition so they are still pricey. I have the "older" 1490T. It offers a large five inch screen, voice turn guidance (no voice recognition), traffic based routing, turn lane guidance, speed limit info, etc. It also supports Bluetooth pairing for a mobile phone.
Factory refurbs are selling for around $115, new probably under $150.
Locally I've seen them in CompUSA, BJs and I think Walmart.

Frank

Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times
I love my Garmin Nuvi, had it since 2006, was a QVC Today's Special Value, lol...as long as I do the updates, it's fine...I'm sure newer units may come with free updates/upgrades, etc...When I first moved here in 2006 it was my best friend, I still use it now and again. Especially in parts of Raleigh I am still not too familiar with. My next car will have a built in GPS...I'm not a fan of wires, but it's been working great for the last 5 years...

Like others have said, prices have come way down from when they first hit the market, mine cost a little over $200.00, and that was 5 years ago...I see some advertised starting at $59.99...You can find great deals on GPS units.

I also have an app on my IPhone that works great too...

Good Luck and enjoy your new car.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:53 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Check online for a refurbished GPS if you want a more expensive model - we bought a refurbished Garmin when we moved here last year...just a basic model for about $60. We would like the voice activated one now that we have one and see how it works.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:32 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,106 times
NRG - I have also been looking and have narrowed it to a garmin or a TomTom - cheapest model with lifetime maps. I almost bought one last week, but the one that best buy has for sale looks like it was an older model -- so I was not sure if I wanted to go there. amazon had that same bestbuy model for even cheaper.

In any event, from my readings of reviews - it seems like garmin folks like garmin and keep buying them and tomtom folks like tomtom and keeping buying it...I haven't seen too many cross overs from garmin to tomtom. The reviews I read on magellan made them seem just unreliable enough to not make me want to try it.

I am truly holding off until I get myself to a store and can try out the user interfaces on both the newer tomtom and garmin. Since I already own an antiquated garmin nuvi, I will probably be one of those that 'like' the newer garmin's better b/c I am already familiar with the interface.

I asked (recently) on city-data whether traffic was a feature I would use on a GPS -- and based on feedback, it isn't really worth paying more for in this area. you get better traffic info listening to the radio than by the time it makes it to the 'traffic' feature on the GPS. so if it comes with the model - fine. if not, I am not going to pay for it.

the feature that I would like is a 'learning' feature that learns the routes that I prefer rather than the 'best' route. The 'best' route chosen by my current nuvi is usually down capital or falls of neuse and I rarely use those roads....preferring atlantic, six forks and lead mine instead.

good luck!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:51 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
t.

the feature that I would like is a 'learning' feature that learns the routes that I prefer rather than the 'best' route. The 'best' route chosen by my current nuvi is usually down capital or falls of neuse and I rarely use those roads....preferring atlantic, six forks and lead mine instead.

good luck!

Man, I wish they had an option for "Avoid those traffic lights that the impaired Transportation folks are incapable of keeping properly timed"

Absent that, I take off down Atlantic, Ray, Lead Mine, etc. and let Ms Garmin recalculate the route.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary