Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:52 PM

85 posts, read 208,169 times

Advertisements

I am somewhat disappointed after my visit to look at the Triangle area this weekend. We thought about relocating there as it is a cheaper alternative on the east coast. I keep hearing how great it is to live there, but I wasn't very impressed.

It just seemed to me that Cary was this really nice masterplanned suburbs. The housing value for the price was exceptional. Everything in the suburb was attractive. But, I can't help but notice what exactly is it a suburb of....?
Whether it was Raleigh, Durhanm, or Chapel Hill...I just could not find any real signs of established metropolitan downtown and associated cultural amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 05:01 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpsandHorns View Post
I am somewhat disappointed after my visit to look at the Triangle area this weekend. We thought about relocating there as it is a cheaper alternative on the east coast. I keep hearing how great it is to live there, but I wasn't very impressed.

It just seemed to me that Cary was this really nice masterplanned suburbs. The housing value for the price was exceptional. Everything in the suburb was attractive. But, I can't help but notice what exactly is it a suburb of....?
Whether it was Raleigh, Durhanm, or Chapel Hill...I just could not find any real signs of established metropolitan downtown and associated cultural amenities.
I first flew into RDU from Houston (via BWI) at sometime right before midnight on December 29, 2005. It's dark. I noted right away there aren't many lights. Many prefer it that way and I do too as long as I don't have to drive. Well, as I was riding down the beltline I was looking off to the left. I saw the exits for "Cary" so I knew then that downtown Raleigh should be off to my left.

I kept looking. I saw the top of what I now know is the BB&T tower that looks like a 500-foot-tall radio transistor, plug side up. Other than that I had no indication there was a city over there.

It's there. It's just hiding from you.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:02 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
The area is more spread out-it's not clumped together like you see in old places in the Northeast. All the stuff is there, just more spread out. At least that's how it looks to me.

Raleigh has a downtown-with big buildings and museums and restaurants and all. It's very clean and there is good parking.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:03 PM

85 posts, read 208,169 times
Oops got cut off...

I am not really bashing the Triangle area. The suburbs are really truly amazing and attractive safe places. I was just hoping for a little bit of a downtown core. Raleigh was very small and bland. The College town of Chapel Hill was very nice and a perfect college environment, but It really doesnt qualify as a downtown area. Durham seemed even smaller and less likely a place to experience adult downtown cultural attractions.

My family are now looking at Charlotte as an alternative. Maybe, we should have looked there first. Is Charlotte more of a traditional city with big city ameneties? Or is it like the Triangle area...a collection of smaller city-towns...

We aren't necessarily looking for Manhattan, but we need a little bit of a central downtown lifestyle.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:05 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-projects.html

Downtown Raleigh has potential but the metro doesn't seem to be drawing anyone besides the suburbanites. This stuff can't work until it does.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:41 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
TerpsandHorns, I could not help but leaugh when I read your post because I know I said something similar after I first arrived in the Triangle! I come from a metro area that is less populous than the Triangle, but it all centers around one city - a city with a central downtown area with plenty of 50- and 60-story tall buildings. When I got to NC and saw that neither Raleigh nor Durham have proper skyscrapers, I was a bit confused! But as I've gotten to know the area, I've come to understand and appreciate the quirks that come with it.

As you noticed during your visit, the Triangle is not made up of one, central metropolitan area with suburbs spoking out around it. Instead, we have two large towns (Raleigh and Durham) with a central business park (RTP) located halfway between the two and we have two slightly smaller towns (Chapel Hill and Cary), as well, and of course the other, smaller suburbs. All of these towns have their own unique offerings. If you were to combine them all together, you'd definitely find most everything that can be found in other metropolitan areas. The difference, of course, is that you have to combine them all together!

As I understand it, Charlotte has a more traditional metropolitan structure. However, my knowledge of that city is extremely limited, so I'll refrain from making any statements about it.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:37 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
My dh made the same comments about the downtown. He's used to Boston with the big skyscrapers and everything. Boston is one of the largest cities in the USA tho so you really cannot compare it to here. I think MrsSteel explained it best tho. All of the big name companies aren't in Raleigh. They're located at the Research Triangle Park & driving through the area you see the signs for these companies and I'm always impressed at the companies that are here. Cisco, Nortel, Glaxo Smith Kline, etc.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:49 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
There's a trade-off for everything. Charlotte has a more traditional center city layout but it's also a step deeper into the south. If you're coming from a northern location you're likely to notice a slightly bigger gap in the cultural divide.

And I'd beg to differ about Raleigh lacking cultural amenities. It's here, it's just not packaged exactly the same way most people are used to.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
There's a trade-off for everything. Charlotte has a more traditional center city layout but it's also a step deeper into the south. If you're coming from a northern location you're likely to notice a slightly bigger gap in the cultural divide.

And I'd beg to differ about Raleigh lacking cultural amenities. It's here, it's just not packaged exactly the same way most people are used to.
Im sorry but how is two hours to southwest going to create a culture divide? What exactly do you mean?

Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
charlotte as well as atlanta are most definitely a step deeper into the deep south. western nc folk are different from those around raleigh and points north. different regional food, nascar, and charlotte's self-touted focus on weekly church attendance all differentiate it from the triangle's university and high tech vibe. living next to south carolina is a tad different from living next to virginia. next time you're at a big airport find the waiting area for the charlotte flight and look at how horribly everyone is dressed. whew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary