Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:00 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,014 times

Advertisements

I happened to fall asleep watching TV last night, and awoke around 1:30am. I did some work on the computer, then went up to bed to read. While reading, I heard nothing but loud, happy chirping and singing outside my window. It was 2-4am. Why do the birds here spend the wee hours singing? Don't they know we're sleeping?

I don't recall this happening in FL, but then again I haven't lived there in almost 15 years.

Dear birds: please quiet down when it's dark out. You can sing during the day. Or out back. Or at the neighbor's house. Please try to respect the curfew!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 01:04 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,433 times
i dont think the birds care what your sleep patterns are, or about your curfew. LOL

Old 06-24-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
i dont think the birds care what your sleep patterns are, or about your curfew. LOL
Any ideas how I can meet with their leader? I'd like to have a chat....I have to wear earplugs.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:06 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Any ideas how I can meet with their leader? I'd like to have a chat....I have to wear earplugs.
they have rejected your meeting request. they say, and i quote... "suck it up"

LOL

Old 06-24-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:

LOL
So not only do they s**t all over everything but now they have attitude? Welllllll.....I suppose nothing a bb gun can't solve!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
I think they are angry because the pigs stole their eggs.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I think they are angry because the pigs stole their eggs.
Wait, are pigs now flying? If so, you know what that means! The Mayans were correct...we're all doomed.

In all seriousness, is it a normal thing for birds to sing at night like that? I thought they were mostly active during the day...do they do this in other areas?

Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 PM

892 posts, read 3,161,422 times
Quote:

LOL
I need a meeting with the queen of hummingbirds about just this. I bought a feeder that holds the liquid in a base that sits flat (rather than hangs upside down) and my hummers do not seem to suck it up?!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:22 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
I need a meeting with the queen of hummingbirds about just this. I bought a feeder that holds the liquid in a base that sits flat (rather than hangs upside down) and my hummers do not seem to suck it up?!
We got one of those this year too. It took a few weeks, but eventually the hummingbirds did discover it and have been using it since. We hung it away from our existing feeder - perhaps if it had been closer they would have found it more quickly.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Are you SURE they weren't frogs?

What I thought were birds for a long time were frogs, and they make noise at night.

Then I kept hearing barking, and it turned out to be a frog.

This exact same type of frog in this YouTube video (below) made its way into our house last night, and one of our dogs went crazy barking at it. The frog then jumped on a picture frame before my husband caught it. (Once one jumped into the car as I was getting out of it; beautiful creatures.)

When I first moved here, there were a lot of bullfrogs, and they were very loud. Over the years, the bullfrog croaking has lowered in volume, but the frogs chirping (sounding like birds) and barking (sounding like dogs) have increased substantially.

YouTube - ‪Barking Tree Frog‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary