Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 06:36 PM

178 posts, read 582,681 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if all areas (N, S, E, W) of Raleigh have rental houses? I have already heard most of SE is poor quality-crime-vacant. Are there some areas that are just primarily owned or just primarily rented or is it pretty mixed?

We are looking for a little 2-3 bedroom house (And I love all the pics put up! SO very helpful) I adore the historical parts of the city (Mordecai and Boyaln) even though they are smaller/bungalow-y in general, I like the properties and it seems to offer some privacy or at least not back-to-back houses. It also looks very "mature" and has older trees, sidewalks, shade etc. Plus that's more my style and look---like the character homes, architecture, solid wood....

We are not the type (30's with baby) of people who would see ourselves in row homes or the houses very close together-Oakcroft/Bedford or the "out of control sprawl of North Raleigh" that the OP described in the photos. And the very large homes of Cary/Crenshaw Manor/Clayton, I am sure would be out of our price range. However Morrisville area looks pretty cool to me!

Part of the reason we would need a larger, most likely fenced back yard, is due to the fact that we have 2 large dogs. Also a toddler who will need more of a yard than what most of the houses on postage stamp properties provide (even though the house may be larger). I would trade a larger yard for a smaller house. I would say that our price range is 800 to 1000 a month for starters. And since it is so overly mentioned I won't even post that it needs to me a nice, family friendly, safe neighborhood! hehe

Are there in-between-neighborhoods that are close to what I am looking for? I am from the country, and my husband's from a downtown of a quaint but populated borough with practically no yard. We are looking to merge the 2. What would you say a good size yard is in the Historical part, 1/4 to 1/3 an acre? Smaller?

Our current commute is one hour and 20 minutes, so nothing can be worse than that. Also we are willing to sacrifice living centrally, and be in an outskirt town, if it fits the bill plus more (more land/price/house size/etc). But please describe!

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 06:47 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,085,858 times
Many people in the Brentwood subdivision, which is a block from 440 (the beltline) are happy with good-sized yards, space between the houses (more than newer neighborhoods), sidewalks, streetlights, mature trees, park, and elementary school. The homes are vintage sixties, so they have hardwood floors, and many have fireplaces. Our yard is about 1/3 an acre; other yards are the same or smaller. It's convenient to everything. There are about 1,300 homes in the subdivision.

There are original residents, and lots of new young people moving in as well.

We own a rental home in addition to our own. We found our best tenants by putting a sign in front of the house, and it was rented within hours, and we had people calling even after that. That was two years ago, and our tenants signed a two-year lease, and they just signed another two-year lease. We love them, so we have not raised the $995/mo rent for a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2-car garage home.

I know there are other rental homes in the neighborhood, but I'm not sure how they advertise. I think I saw a rental sign on a house near Brentwood elementary school, across from the park, last week.

You might find some homes for sale and contact the owners to see if they're interested in renting.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:00 PM

178 posts, read 582,681 times
Thanks! I'll check out the link you sent.

Did you buy a home, then keep that one as your rental house, and buy a second home?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 PM

82 posts, read 147,766 times
For what you are looking for, I would say that you will pay $1100-$1200 a month (or more). We moved here last year and were looking for the same price range. We ended up in a 3 bed, 2.5 bath with a small fenced in yard for $1150 a month. We looked all around and the cheaper rentals were in not so nice areas. We found that finding rentals with fenced yards for our pups was more difficult. You may also find that some folks are unwilling to rent to people with big dogs. Thank goodness we have a Jack Russell and a Beagle. Good luck in your search. I found most of the listings either on Craigslist or on Realtor.com.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:55 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,085,858 times
No, we live in Brentwood. The rental home once belonged to my father-in-law; when he became older, he moved from "inside the beltline" to be closer to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Thanks! I'll check out the link you sent.

Did you buy a home, then keep that one as your rental house, and buy a second home?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:54 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,149,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Many people in the Brentwood subdivision, which is a block from 440 (the beltline) are happy with good-sized yards, space between the houses (more than newer neighborhoods), sidewalks, streetlights, mature trees, park, and elementary school. The homes are vintage sixties, so they have hardwood floors, and many have fireplaces. Our yard is about 1/3 an acre; other yards are the same or smaller. It's convenient to everything. There are about 1,300 homes in the subdivision.

There are original residents, and lots of new young people moving in as well.

We own a rental home in addition to our own. We found our best tenants by putting a sign in front of the house, and it was rented within hours, and we had people calling even after that. That was two years ago, and our tenants signed a two-year lease, and they just signed another two-year lease. We love them, so we have not raised the $995/mo rent for a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2-car garage home.

I know there are other rental homes in the neighborhood, but I'm not sure how they advertise. I think I saw a rental sign on a house near Brentwood elementary school, across from the park, last week.

You might find some homes for sale and contact the owners to see if they're interested in renting.
I live near Brentwood and it is a very convenient area. You might even want to buy there since homes are older and reasonably priced.

No intrusive HOA Nazis to rule your life either.

Very close to services, etc.

Check it out if it will fit where you work.

Brentwood is a diamond in the rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary