Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
That's really sad

Some places I have lived near in Maine (I know, way far off from here) recognized the kill of sprawl and have made the newer sub-divisions a 2-5 acre minimum. This way it still preserves wildlife and your back yard still has many trees! Maybe places that are sprawling too much will take on this good advise, and at least some areas will have less houses in them? Hopeful....
That may work in a place like ME, which has a low population, but try that in NC, especially central NC. You would have homes going for $1,000,000+. No normal person could afford to live in the area, and everyone would be driving in. That being said that assumes you'd even have a city to work in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 01:41 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,664 times
I wish that people would invest in the older homes that are available for purchase. North Raleigh has some older sub-divisions with GREAT homes just begging to be bought up and renovated.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:05 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I wish that people would invest in the older homes that are available for purchase. North Raleigh has some older sub-divisions with GREAT homes just begging to be bought up and renovated.
That is easy to answer, the people with older homes in those developed areas want too much money. Everyone insists that real estate appreciates, but the way I look at it, a structure which is a majority of the cost of a property is only degrading over time, unless the owners put time/money into it to keep it up.

What I can get for 350k in Holly Springs, versus in the middle of Cary tells that story very well. For an extra 20 minutes on my commute everyday I get to live in a much nicer home, that is brand new.

Or I could move into a smaller house that is going to need to have a lot of money dumped into it. Not a hard decision.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:58 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Because I grew up in Louisburg, of course I want Greater Raleigh to inch ever so closer, bringing its sophistication along with it.

However, rampant unchecked growth driven by developer greed preying on desperate rural land owners yields the suburban ghettos of tomorrow.

Rolesville's explosion of treeless subdivisions in every direction is exploiting young families' desire for the American dream (a backyard for the kids) that's within reach (affordable). But at what cost to the community? Rolesville needs to be building an infrastructure of roads and mixed-use development to enhance accessibility to everything. You should not have to get in the car and drive to buy a roll of toilet paper.

I think subdivisions should be banned, and most certainly cul-de-sacs without thru-street access. What ever happened to the classic small town with a grid of streets and no HOA's?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:50 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
New Hill
You couldn't PAY ME to live near that nuke plant or any plant for that matter.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:06 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
You couldn't PAY ME to live near that nuke plant or any plant for that matter.
But, that is not relevant to the topic.

New Hill will grow with the wastewater plant. And most folks do not give Shearon Harris much thought. It would not bother me.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:40 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,748 times
Quote:
That's really sad

Some places I have lived near in Maine (I know, way far off from here) recognized the kill of sprawl and have made the newer sub-divisions a 2-5 acre minimum. This way it still preserves wildlife and your back yard still has many trees! Maybe places that are sprawling too much will take on this good advise, and at least some areas will have less houses in them? Hopeful....
Talk about encouraging sprawl! There wouldn't be a piece of undisturbed land left with the growth they are projecting here.

Michael

Old 06-27-2011, 05:41 PM

233 posts, read 269,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And most folks do not give Shearon Harris much thought. It would not bother me.
I agree with you on this. I enjoy the cool mist from the tower. Some people pay to have misting units installed outside.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:47 PM

233 posts, read 269,902 times
Quote:
That's really sad

I wouldn't want to see that near the immediate city areas, but I can see the benefit a little further out. Otherwise the dense growth will continue outward until such point as they hit the mountains and the ocean. Then what? No more trees left anwhere.

There are many places in the country that do exactly what you are talking about and by all accounts it works out great. There are many articles written about it.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 PM

39 posts, read 86,039 times
So when development reaches unincorporated communities what do you guys think will happen? Do you think places like New Hill and Willow Springs will become their own towns or do you think they'll get annexed and just be a little district, kind of like "Carpenter" in Cary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary