Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbornandraised View Post
So when development reaches unincorporated communities what do you guys think will happen? Do you think places like New Hill and Willow Springs will become their own towns or do you think they'll get annexed and just be a little district, kind of like "Carpenter" in Cary?
New Hill will be Apex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 07:31 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
That is easy to answer, the people with older homes in those developed areas want too much money. Everyone insists that real estate appreciates, but the way I look at it, a structure which is a majority of the cost of a property is only degrading over time, unless the owners put time/money into it to keep it up.

What I can get for 350k in Holly Springs, versus in the middle of Cary tells that story very well. For an extra 20 minutes on my commute everyday I get to live in a much nicer home, that is brand new.

Or I could move into a smaller house that is going to need to have a lot of money dumped into it. Not a hard decision.
Since when do people not care about location at all?

There is such a huge advantage to living in areas like North Raleigh/North Hills/etc...

And I'm not talking about expensive houses. The prices are reasonable (leaves plenty leftover for renovations), there is a TON of charm and the location is phenomenal.

Raleigh will be the next Durham with this attitude...

Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
What ever happened to the classic small town with a grid of streets and no HOA's?
People like to feel like whatever goes on outside their subdivision doesnt matter so subdivisions become the norm, also its a great way for the local government to have the HOA be responsible for the things that used to be handled by them. (old days vs today)

Then now you need an HOA to make sure things stay "pretty" and fair (at least thats what supposed to happen).
Sometimes they work but it seems that more often they dont and cause more headaches.

As far as the main topic, I wonder how much development will continue to slow down due to the economy. Remember that much of the growth in NC is due to relocation, when that slows down then the growth here slows down.

As far as I see, most of the new growth=

More big box stores and less mom and pops
More subdivisions and homes not built for the long term
More traffic
more taxes and fees

Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 AM

What would I pay in taxes to support all the neighborhood swimming pools, stormwater BMPs, and neighborhood clubhouses?

HOAs bring desired additional amenities to neighborhoods for the benefit of residents who choose to access those amenities.
I don't care about pools, clubhouses, tennis courts enough to pay for them monthly. But, I like that others get to make choices to have those amenities within walking distance.

HOA fees amortize subdivision infrastructure and amenities in a way that is palatable to buyers. If they had to pay lump sum impact fees for their neighborhood infrastructure and amenities, vs. taxpayers supporting their neighborhood pools, capital cost of buying would increase incrementally.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:41 AM

569 posts, read 1,978,331 times
Quote:
People like to feel like whatever goes on outside their subdivision doesnt matter so subdivisions become the norm, also its a great way for the local government to have the HOA be responsible for the things that used to be handled by them. (old days vs today)
Quote:
What would I pay in taxes to support all the neighborhood swimming pools, stormwater BMPs, and neighborhood clubhouses?
I don't see where pools and clubhouses have anything to do with pawning off responsibilities to HOAs as they are not required by government regulation. However, stormwater control is something required by government and from what I can see is pretty much forcing all new development to have an HOA. If someone could point out a new subdivision without an HOA, I would like to see it.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
I don't see where pools and clubhouses have anything to do with pawning off responsibilities to HOAs as they are not required by government regulation. However, stormwater control is something required by government and from what I can see is pretty much forcing all new development to have an HOA. If someone could point out a new subdivision without an HOA, I would like to see it.
Regulations are for subdivisions over 20 lots, and lots smaller than 10 acres.
Alternatively, an individual can assume maintenance responsibility for common areas.
While unlikely, it is possible to have a subdivision without an HOA.

Absolutely, pools, playgrounds, and clubhouses are material to the discussion. They pretty much ARE nearly mandatory for lifestyle in an area that wishes to offer amenities to prospective residents, but still not mandatory for government.
Pull the HOA supported and operated community pools out of Cary, and the hue and cry for a municipal bond to build swim facilities would be deafening.
The HOA structure allows the choice of including one within a community for the residents without pressing people who live outside that community to pay for it.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-29-2011 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,679 times
I agree that Knightdale is already a true suburb of Raleigh. We chose to move there due to its proximity to my job in N. Raleigh and DH's job in Rocky Mount. I love how quickly I can get to downtown, and the airport isn't that bad of a drive.

I think Wendell is next out that direction. If the Wendell Falls subdivision had taken off, the growth out that way definitely would have exploded.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:26 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default middle ground

I guess it could be looked at as:

You cannot get a new house in a subdivision without an HOA so choice becomes very limited when buying a new home.

I guess one could ask why do homes with more than 20 homes have to have an HOA...whats the justification for the law itself.

HOA can be a long topic so we might just be better off staying on topic.
Its great for people to have a choice to move into an subdivision with an HOA....but when buying a new home there is very little other choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary