Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:16 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I agonized over this while searching for a rental. I couldn't see the logic in a rental if I couldn't live in it for 4-7 years (my kids are in 9th and 6th grades) because I really didn't want them to have to change schools. I chose schools that were top notch with good magnet options.

So I bought a house. I know it goes against the advice of many who suggest I rent first to 'get to know the area'. I did exhaustive research over the course of two years, visited the area many times, etc.
We did the same. We didn't research as long (we just didn't have time), but we thought we'd done our homework, and bam. After 2 years here we get the shaft. I like to think that the 2012-13 year will be better but to be honest, I have absolutely no faith. I'd recommend, if you rent, renting a home ON TOP OF the school you want to live in--as in, across the street or next door or something. Then, make sure the closest middle and high schools are the ones you want, and then talk to as many people in that n'hood as possible to find out "The scoop." If we'd really understood WCPSS when we moved, we would be somewhere else. I love my house, adore my community and town, HATE the school system and the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 2,949 times
Thanks ALL!
It's quite funny, that no matter how little research I will do regarding which school would be best for my lil tikes....they ALL would probably be a drastic positive change from our sad sad California school system (teacher/child ratio of 30:1).

I still want the best Raleigh has to offer, however. Specifically an arts enthused charter or public school. Know of any?

I wish I had the time to buy now, but renting is the quick and easy option for now.

God Bless!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 2,949 times
Now I'm wonderng what the result of everyone's research was, if you don't mind sharing your neighborhood. =)
Or if I can get a list of neighborhoods to tour while I'm down there (3 days). Looking for close parks, small shopping center, good school. Thx!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
I can't really share my research since it is in bits and scraps all over the internet.

But in general it sounds like you should start with the WCPSS website and look at living within the zone of the magnet school you are most interested in. Not the magnet area, but the actual neighborhood attendance area. Those are not likely to change since part of the reason the school was magnetized was the neighborhood population is low.

I'll DM you with my suggestion.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:47 PM

192 posts, read 312,950 times
Long-Range Student Assignment: A Community Review

This site will give you information about the current assignment program for the WC public school system.

http://hollyridgems.wcpss.net/applic...s2010-2011.pdf

This is for the 2010/2011 school year but has some great info.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:49 PM

33 posts, read 49,168 times
You can try Fuquay Varina in Harnett County. (just south of Raleigh) Harnett County Schools have Orchestra, Chorus and Band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary