Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:19 AM

63 posts, read 139,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Three new posters on this thread.. and all in favor of the ICE facility moving to that location.. very interesting!
Really? Really? What - do you think ICE or the federal govt is planting positive responses on this thread?

Let's review: we have a currently vacant, by-all-accounts-it's-an-eyesore building, which in a pretty crappy economic environment doesn't bode well for leasing the place at all.

There is a proposal to lease this building -- maybe even make some updates to improve the building.

Many people will be employed at this building -- like many of us, these people may go out to eat or run errands on their lunch hour -- giving support to many local businesses. I'm sure Dunkin' Donuts and the pizza place would appreciate the business!

By all real accounts this is NOT a detention facility -- it's an investigative office which will not be open 24/7 and will function like any office.

What's next -- don't put a police station in my neighborhood b/c they may have to process a prisoner through there? As an earlier poster said it appears that the xenophibic reputation of Cary is well-founded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 05:27 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
***ding ding ding***

You sheep who keep posting "nimby nimby!" 1 - its annoying; 2 - this sums up the answer to you. Listen, put it a mile away in Cary, in the appropriate corporate center or office location. Don't put it in a friggin grocery store in a shopping center with a discount tire, blockbuster, dunkin donuts and chinese food restaurant. The argument here isnt that complex - disagree, that's fine, but at least understand where people are coming from.
I totally understand where people are coming from. They dont want it in their neighborhood. Hence why the NIMBY answers. And my OPINION is that its hogwash. Namecalling isnt gonna win over any support from me.
Its not going in a grocery store. Its going in a building that used to be a grocery store years ago. So I guess an empty building is better for your 'hood than an OFFICE???
It will be GOOD for the other businesses. Including the one that owns the whole center.
Everyone whined when it was rumored to be a laser tag place too. Maybe a strip club, dance club or pawnshop would be better?

Old 06-30-2011, 05:38 AM

700 posts, read 1,646,275 times
Default Strong words

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4alark View Post
This is NOT just office space. Unless you have seen the Weston facility or work there, please do not imply otherwise.

There is not an online petition as far as I know. Everyone will have more information after the homeowner's meeting at West Park tonight. Please let your city and federal elected officials know how you feel about this--negative, or positive. Please call or email them NOW. This decision still can be influenced by strong public opinion but you must speak out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I enjoy coming to open internet forums and being told what to do.

Here is a useful article about the proposed location:

Cary neighborhood opposes potential immigration office :: WRAL.com

"Like ICE's current office in Cary, the new space will be used as an office, not a detention center, she said.

"Like any law enforcement building, it's going to contain secure areas for holding and interviewing people that we arrest, but there is going to be no overnight bed space," she said."

Sounds like offices with a few that have doors that lock.
I agree NRG. Open discussion is what this is forum is about. If one side is left to present only it's side for the rest, to put just it's agenda forward. Might as well shut world down. I am fairly sure that Cary can stand to have this here. Or maybe they can just let the illegals roam the town freely. Trusting they will do the right thing and come forward and leave on their own.

Note: Limited minds. Led to limited thinking.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:53 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulx3 View Post
As an earlier poster said it appears that the xenophibic reputation of Cary is well-founded.
Ah yes, because if you picked up this shopping center and plunked it down in a similar neighborhood in Wake Forest, Chapel Hill or another Triangle town, the ICE center would be welcomed with open arms.

I personally don't really care if it goes there or not - but I do think it's an odd choice of location. And no, I don't think the government has people posting in this thread in favor of it - but I wouldn't be surprised if at least some aren't connected to the owner of the shopping center, or whoever is tasked with leasing it.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
The N&O has a story on this today:

New immigration facility in Cary worries residents - Wake County - NewsObserver.com
Quote:
The store could serve a similar purpose as a police substation, said Temple Black, an ICE spokesman. Immigration-enforcement officers would bring suspected illegal immigrants through the facility en route to possible deportation, but they would not detain people overnight at the site.

The agency told the town that the facility would operate only during typical business hours, without barred windows, sirens or spotlights.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:16 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
And let me say, I could care less that it's ICE. I am a strong supporter of law enforcement. I dont beleive the accusations that they keep people detained there.

Generally, I am against sticking an office in a large retail space like this. I don't care if it's ICE, a police substation, a mortgage company, a software company or an architect's office. Though maybe if it was an architect it would stand a chance of not being a blight. Maybe even if they take the entire space it would not be as bad, but based on what has been reported, it will be a fraction of the space, still leaving a huge chunk vacant. I would be against this just as much if it was Brennan Station or Falls Village.

And I'm not sure if the same company reps the old Kroger that reps the rest if the center. If they are different, I wonder what the center owner thinks?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:21 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I enjoy coming to open internet forums and being told what to do.

Here is a useful article about the proposed location:

Cary neighborhood opposes potential immigration office :: WRAL.com

"Like ICE's current office in Cary, the new space will be used as an office, not a detention center, she said.

"Like any law enforcement building, it's going to contain secure areas for holding and interviewing people that we arrest, but there is going to be no overnight bed space," she said."

Sounds like offices with a few that have doors that lock.
Maybe they should put it next to your house,and you could hang with the "few" arrested model citizens that are being questioned there.This is a facility that should be in an industrial area.

Last edited by samdan; 06-30-2011 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-30-2011, 07:25 AM

240 posts, read 627,722 times
Same old Cary. Keep thinking your world should be made of chocolate covered cherries and unicorns. While there are daily accounts of burglary, prescription drug abuse/distribution and various other crimes that only happen in areas with "those" people. I find it laughable.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,407 times
A facility like this in West Park is a total outrage. I'm a long time resident and am going to spray paint a message on my house to express my feelings about this!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:10 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I'm all for it! Bring it on! There is a police substation in Crossroads and it doesn't bother anyone, in fact I kind of like it and feel safer shopping there. I'm glad to hear the Kroger space will be used well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary